Democracy , A moveable feast ?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • There are many comments on here about democracy & democratic mandates

Democracy whilst reasonably based on one vote person is easily skewed by the system.

Johnson’s government got 43% of the vote 13.9 million votes , Labour & the Lib Dem’s combined got slightly more yet

Johnson has around an eighty seat majority. Hardly representative is it .

We also have the problem of voter turnout out 23% didn’t bother to vote .

Every system has issues but some form of PR would give a more representative government

• PR would produce permanent coalitions, so we’d be back to the kind of indecision and frustration we had before Boris Johnson was elected. Most right thinking people don’t ever want that again.

PR is a trick - a con used by people who, for whatever reason, don’t want decisive government. Our form of democracy has been our secret of success over time.

If the majority of those voting vote for a particular party, that should be the party that forms the government.

You say that our present system puts a government in place even though the majority that voted did not vote for them. PR would give minority parties far more of a voice than the number of total votes would justify.

So the result would often be that we would be ruled by parties who actually came second and third, as they would form a coalition. The most popular party would be in opposition. So the real winners would not form part of the government. That’s the crazy sort of leftie thinking that is driving everyone mad, like the ‘100s of genders’ manic ideas that are being trotted out regularly these days.

A PR system would have provided quite a few parliamentary seats for the likes of UKIP, which people such as your good self wouldn’t be happy with at all.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• PR in no trick Germany has operated successfully for years with there version

Agreed that the FPTP system tends to put one party in power but in essence it not very democratic in the true sense of the word.

I’ve no doubt the PR could be structured in different ways all with there + /-

• PR just doesn't work. We have it in Scotland as part of the crazy voting system. It allows a one party state to have complete power . Currently we have a Marxist dictatorship which does nobody any good. It erodes the country of sensible government as opposition is non existent.

• PR just doesn't work. We have it in Scotland as part of the crazy voting system. It allows a one party state to have complete power . Currently we have a Marxist dictatorship which does nobody any good. It erodes the country of sensible government as opposition is non existent.

But that’s what the lefties want! And what can be said for sure is that the majority of people don’t want that. So people who think PR is ‘fair’ should think again.

• PR in no trick Germany has operated successfully for years with there version

Agreed that the FPTP system tends to put one party in power but in essence it not very democratic in the true sense of the word.

I’ve no doubt the PR could be structured in different ways all with there + /-

How many months did it take Germany to cobble together a government?

We don’t want indecisive governments in this country. With such a system, important decisions that have to be made are delayed, watered down and finally fudged.

PR basically emasculates governments and renders them directionless. I don’t want that for the UK.

• Before we ban it, we need to know what will replace it. No-one has come up with a better idea yet.

• You are talking about anarchy, Norra. I don’t think many want that. Everyone would also be very poor because there would be no-one to make deals with other countries and organise anything within this country.

• Murderers and robbers would roam the streets and do their worst as there would be no police.

No schools for the kids. No NHS. No power. No nothing because there would be no-one to pay taxes to from which to pay public sector employees and suppliers of services.

Who wants that?

• In what way do you consider the government indecisive?

By being to pre-occupied with its own internal issues over Johnson’s leadership and Partygate to effectively govern, whether it’s on the cost of living or rail strikes.

I also don’t remember a government that has made so many U-turns, the windfall tax being the most recent.

• By being to pre-occupied with its own internal issues over Johnson’s leadership and Partygate to effectively govern, whether it’s on the cost of living or rail strikes.

I also don’t remember a government that has made so many U-turns, the windfall tax being the most recent.

Ok, some examples would be good, so that we can debate your argument that the government has been indecisive.

The windfall tax idea was delayed for a reason. This can only be a one-off tax and we cannot jeopardise investment in green energy. Rishi Sunak didn't rule it out - all along, he has been telling us it was an option.

• Inflation is rising right around the world due to the war started by Putin, a rise in energy prices , food prices have gone up due to expensive fuel used by the Ships, HGV's but what is pushing food prices even more is Putin has stolen tonnes of wheat sunflowers from the Ukraine.

Africa is feeling the real brunt of it kids are starving to death every day lack of water, lack of food, lack of basic Medical Care

The tube strike, rail strikes will hit our economy hard , travel by public transport is not cheap especially those on low pay who need it to get to work hospital etc.

If the strikers get their way and get a large pay rise two things will happen inflation will go up more and stay up for longer especially if other unions join in , and the lower paid will not be able to afford the fare if they have a job left to go to

• If the RMT accepts modernisation, the pay demand will be pretty well met, and fares will come down, too.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!