When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Because most people were unable to work owing to restrictions imposed by the government. It was only right that the government compensates people who are impacted fundamentally by the decisions they make.

You can't just leave people to starve by denying them their right to work. This isn't China!

I agree and would hope that if I had needed help I would have received it as others did. That doesn’t remove the fact that stronger leadership would not have decided to lockdown and therefore avoided the worst of the post pandemic recovery. It has never been clearer than it is now that collective global ideology is ruining our country and the world. It needs to be stopped.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• People are free to go to work now that the pandemic is over. It will take a bit of time to make up the shortfall in earnings but those prepared to work diligently can achieve this.

But No ---- many misguided people are spoiling this by going on strike instead , making their income and that of the general public even worse.

They can now, yes, and I certainly don’t agree with the strikes.

If I didn’t have any pay for months when I was at work, and if there was no furlough scheme, I would have been in real trouble because I wouldn’t have been able to pay my mortgage. Unfortunately, there was no opportunity to get paid for working overtime, so for me, I would never have caught up, and many would have been in that situation.

In the end, furlough saved many jobs and businesses and enabled us all to bounce back quickly when lockdown ended. But now it’s time to face the harsh reality of whatever the future holds for us. Hopefully, Truss’s ideas will get us out of this situation the fastest.

• People are free to go to work now that the pandemic is over. It will take a bit of time to make up the shortfall in earnings but those prepared to work diligently can achieve this.

But No ---- many misguided people are spoiling this by going on strike instead , making their income and that of the general public even worse.

I’ve said it before Mike, when the chancellor reintroduced 1970s style economics it was inevitable that you would get 1970s style industrial relations. Any student of history could see this coming down the tracks. Personally I wish the unions well in their pursuit of a pay deal that neutralises the cost of living increases at least temporarily. They have the power and clout to inflict pain and would be stupid not to. The government has the power and clout to inflict pain and doesn’t think twice. Raising taxes, implementation of unpopular environmental policy, backing fringe groups such as BLM, all against public wishes.

Certainly there is more to their actions than just getting a pay rise but they are one of the few groups that can actually push back against a government so hellbent on ignoring the suffering and worry they are causing. It doesn’t have to be this way but a government with high ideals that work against the interests of the people they claim to represent will inevitably cause some conflict.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Potentially there is a problem with securing voting integrity with the leadership election. Outside (of the UK) forces would prefer Sunak although he is trailing according to polls. GCHQ has identified vulnerability in the voting system and is trying to fix it. The threat here is foreign actors could choose our next PM rather than Conservative party members.

Security fears delay Tory leadership ballot papers - BBC News
    Party members are receiving their voting papers later than planned over security concerns.
    www.bbc.com

• We didn’t have to lock down OB. Totally unnecessary and proven with hindsight as completely ineffective. A chain of poor decisions driven by pound shop science and ideology which had to be funded by printing money. It’s almost criminal.

Hindsight is always 100% accurate Boris and the Government did consider not locking down the Herd Instinct which means the survival of the fittest, that all well and good as good but what about those who do not have a strong active immune system, its Hobson's Choice for them.

Even with lockdown many without a strong immune system were killed by the Virus so were those who had stronger constitutions , seasonal flu kills many evet year , how many died because they listened to Crazy Conspiracy theorists who stated the Vaccines were dangerous, and all the nonsense about microchips.

If we had not locked down and had not vaccinated as many as we did would the death toll been higher or lower ? who knows, no matter what Government we had be it Labour or Tory they had to make decisions of medical advice.

The Virus is still with us , my wife's Immune System is not good badly damaged following a freak accident in late 2020 three major ops and a bone graft later it is still not good and that may be the case for the rest of her life.

Thanks to the Vaccinations she beat Covid in April this year, without that protections it may have been a different story

• Potentially there is a problem with securing voting integrity with the leadership election. Outside (of the UK) forces would prefer Sunak although he is trailing according to polls. GCHQ has identified vulnerability in the voting system and is trying to fix it. The threat here is foreign actors could choose our next PM rather than Conservative party members.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-62402642.amp

Russia's efforts to interfere in the 2016 US presidential election were a wake-up call that other states were willing to do things like hack into people's accounts and leak information. Russian intelligence was even accused then of getting inside election systems although there was never any evidence that they actually changed any information

And has been proven since that the Russians did not interfere with the US elections and it was Hillary's mob. That's not to say there is no chance of online votes being hacked as that's always a possibility by the very nature of the online world no matter what, but the BBC (British Bullshit Corporation) are shit stirring again. See how they plant seeds in peoples mind for possible further agenda down the road. They don't exactly stick to the facts. That .amp is weird too. It might be Googles mobile framework.

The government could do more to control the cost of living ,controlling rent for instance but they won’t become the are ideological opposed to the idea.

The railway workers are standing up for their own rights because no one else will

They have the power, you can’t blame them for using it

• Thanks to the Vaccinations she beat Covid in April this year

You may choose to believe that but it would be impossible to substantiate that claim. Many elderly people with compromised immune systems have survived Covid or not caught it at all or shaken it off in much the same manner as fu. That is not to downplay that Covid is a nasty bug, it is, but the vaccine was very limited in the benefits is provided, mainly social and access benefits as far as I can tell. The vaccine became politicised as did covid, a weapon of left wing ideology.

• You may choose to believe that but it would be impossible to substantiate that claim. Many elderly people with compromised immune systems have survived Covid or not caught it at all or shaken it off in much the same manner as fu. That is not to downplay that Covid is a nasty bug, it is, but the vaccine was very limited in the benefits is provided, mainly social and access benefits as far as I can tell. The vaccine became politicised as did covid, a weapon of left wing ideology.

You post some nonsense but that last sentence is the most ridiculous ever

• Not wishing to be rude but speaking plainly I do not appreciate being talked down to arrogance and being patronised annoys me , if you were a seasoned Medical Scientist then I would take heed of your opinion but you are not.

Over 60 years ago I was vaccinated with several different vaccines to protect me from TB, Polio etc , I never caught any of them nor did my twin sister in fact I cannot recall any of my school mates catching anything really nasty back then, was it just luck or did the vaccines protect me and them.

I am fully aware of the Conspiracy Politically motivated Theorists out there some are just headbangers , the anti vaccine and anti mask nutters and their weird guesswork , they thought they were fireproof some were not they were killed by Covid,

I am also aware that many elderly people survived Covid thanks to the Medical Teams who saved them, the wife and I both contracted Covid in April it was very unpleasant for a few days, again was it just pure luck or did the Vaccine do its job.?

I will leave it at that

I

• Hi Fred,

Apologies if you didn't like my tone, not intentional to cause you annoyance but I am curious about the credit being given to the covid vaccines. You state that over 60 years ago you were vaccinated against TB, Polio, (I would add measles, mumps etc) as was I, and like you I never caught any of these things. But as you well know the covid vaccine doesn't work. People I know, having had the first and second shots followed by booster shot 1 and 2 are still getting covid when they they have had 4 shots in a single 12 month period. Now forgive me but that doesn't sound like a vaccine that anybody could have any faith in whatsoever does it? These same people then say, thank goodness I had the vaccines, it could have been much worse if I hadn't.

How many polio and TB boosters have you had over the years? Zero would be my guess.

How many covid shots have you had to date? I would guess 3 and you are thinking about a 4th or maybe you have had the 4th and thinking about a 5th? You know that after 12 weeks your immunity to covid is the same as if you had not been vaccinated?

And you criticise me for making guesswork crackpot opinions.

You know the definition of madness is repeating the same thing over and over expecting different results?

Just think about that...

As you say I'll leave it at that

• The government could do more to control the cost of living ,controlling rent for instance but they won’t become the are ideological opposed to the idea.

Yes, but everything they do has consequences. If legislation keeps rents too low you are impacting on the owners’ incomes and they may pull out of the rented sector altogether because it doesn’t pay anymore.

We already have a shortage of rented accommodation - this would make it worse.

The railway workers are standing up for their own rights because no one else will

Everyone wants more pay. The railway workers’ argument is with their employer, not the general public.

They have the power, you can’t blame them for using it

Abuse it once too often and that power will be taken away.

• They could remove the green levies from all energy bills. That would make a huge difference. They could cut fuel tax duties and cut the level of VAT. All of these could be done to alleviate financial burdens on ordinary people. But they won’t because that would go against the green agenda.

Not sure that rents are actually on a hyper inflation rise at the moment though. Sure they go up from time to time but not like energy costs. Capping rents would have limited impact as not everyone rents but everyone has energy costs unless they live in a tent or is homeless.

• Everyone wants more pay. The railway workers’ argument is with their employer, not the general public.

But the general public are the customer so unfortunately they are the people who will suffer

The government don’t care about the public in many ways the dispute suits their agenda, just like Thatcher & the miners.

The right to strike in a right

• Liz Truss has already announced that she would remove the green levy.

All of them? I look forward to that day.

But the general public are the customer so unfortunately they are the people who will suffer

The government don’t care about the public in many ways the dispute suits their agenda, just like Thatcher & the miners.

I agree entirely. We have 1970's industrial relations as a result of 1970's economic policies. I don't blame the unions at all, good luck to them. Rail travellers will suffer as a result and then they will demand pay rises because of increased rail fares and so on. Its called inflation and its what happens when you print money.

• Hindsight is always 100% accurate Boris and the Government did consider not locking down the Herd Instinct which means the survival of the fittest, that all well and good as good but what about those who do not have a strong active immune system, its Hobson's Choice for them.

Even with lockdown many without a strong immune system were killed by the Virus so were those who had stronger constitutions , seasonal flu kills many evet year , how many died because they listened to Crazy Conspiracy theorists who stated the Vaccines were dangerous, and all the nonsense about microchips.

If we had not locked down and had not vaccinated as many as we did would the death toll been higher or lower ? who knows, no matter what Government we had be it Labour or Tory they had to make decisions of medical advice.

The Virus is still with us , my wife's Immune System is not good badly damaged following a freak accident in late 2020 three major ops and a bone graft later it is still not good and that may be the case for the rest of her life.

Thanks to the Vaccinations she beat Covid in April this year, without that protections it may have been a different story

I think the Lockdowns probably went on a bit too long & certainly the furlough scheme should have ended earlier but I broadly supported the government stance ,I’ve had all the jabs but I’ve had Covid 3 times but without being seriously ill .

Would I have been worse without the jabs ?I don’t know but I’m glad I had them

• But the general public are the customer so unfortunately they are the people who will suffer

You are blaming the government?!! The railway companies are the employers. The unions would rather the government got involved because this is a political battle.

Incidentally, if you are trying to spread the myth that the customer is simply collateral damage, pray tell me why the unions deliberately target days to strike which have maximum impact on the public.

They are wreckers and Luddites and not fit for purpose in the modern world.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!