Farmer Protests in the EU

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • it's a script that takes some writing best comedy/tragedy in existence.

I guess EU politicians are all vegans, because they think like plant life.

There will be a public revolt it is inevitable.

Do unto others as they would do unto you, then plead temporary insanitary 😂. :saint:

• An interesting article here based on facts and some speculation about the real reasons for putting Dutch farmers out of business.

A Tristate super city instead of farmers in the Netherlands? - The Rio Times
    If you believe the leaders of the Dutch peasant revolt, ambitious plans of investors, and the WEF globalists are why the Dutch Rutte
    www.riotimesonline.com

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Fires erupt as farmers protest outside European Parliament in Brussels
    Convoys with hundreds of angry farmers arrived in Brussels to protest their terms of work and pay, with fires lit outside European Parliament and police in…
    news.sky.com

I notice that the farmers protests are spreading around the EU although reporting remains sketchy. The mainstream media are focusing on the challenges farmers in the EU face from cheap imports although though overarching problem of draconian environmental regulations is still barely touched on and is the significant driver for the increase in cheap imports. The old political blindness of cause and effect once again.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• When food is in short supply in places why are they being paid to leave land fallow?

Unfortunately their complaints are based on truth. We the public want ever cheaper goods, foods and supermarkets want ever bigger profits. I believe we are all responsible for this in some way.

What Victor Orban said is correct, we need to elect more politicians who listen to the will of the people, i.e what some of you call populism. I have come to the opinion that populism means " we know best" when it comes to politicians.

In addition, when it comes to climate change farmers need to be looked at and treat differently, put simply ithout them we starve. We are fortunate and live in a rich fertile land and we do need to protect it, not build houses for immigrants on it.

Do unto others as they would do unto you, then plead temporary insanitary 😂. :saint:

• Crop rotation / RHS Gardening
    The principle of crop rotation is to grow specific groups of vegetables on a different part of the vegetable plot each year. This helps to reduce a build-up of…
    www.rhs.org.uk

It's needs to come back, people could go locally to farms and buy super fresh. I agree with Norra earlier that this would aid fighting obesity and diabetes, as we know they go hand in hand.

I was taught this in school, but I bet that it's not now.

• The way this issue is seen by the media varies widely so I thought I would post a range of articles covering the various view points.

Why Europe’s farmers are protesting – and the far right is taking note
    For some farmers already struggling, paying for more of their pollution is a step too far. Germany is the latest country to see anger boil over
    www.theguardian.com
    Why Europe's farmers are taking their anger to the streets
    Europe is swept by a wave of protests by farmers, who blame EU policies for their hardship.
    www.bbc.co.uk
    Europe’s farmer protests are spreading. Here’s where and why
    Protests around the EU reflect common grievances over debts, price pressures, extreme weather and cheap imports, POLITICO has found.
    www.politico.eu
    What to Know About the Farmer Protests in Europe
    Farmers across Europe are protesting the EU's new green policies, which they say would make them less competitive.
    time.com
    French farmers' union call for end of blockades as anger spreads in Europe
    Two of France's main farming unions on Thursday urged protesters who have staged hundreds of tractor blockades across the country to go back home, after the…
    www.reuters.com
    The French farmers’ protests are more complex than they seem
    Farmers’ frustration over French and EU regulations are a new dimension in a longstanding problem.
    www.vox.com
    Why are Europe’s farmers angry?
    Already bearing the brunt of the climate crisis, Europe’s farmers are speaking out against policies they say are contradictory, unfair and leave them worried…
    www.euronews.com
    AP PHOTOS: Farmers' protests grip Europe from Brussels and Berlin to Greece and Romania
    The movement was triggered by concerns over low wages, heavy regulation and cheap imports.
    apnews.com
    Europe's farm protests: Here are some of the grievances | CBC News
    Farmers' protests that began in France in mid-January have spread across Europe in a fight for less bureaucracy and protection of their livelihoods amid the…
    www.cbc.ca
    Farmers throw eggs as fires burn at Brussels protest
    Farmers from across the EU are demanding fewer regulations as European leaders meet.
    www.bbc.co.uk

• Only in the EU.

Funny that.

It's happening here as well. Boris got things moving with his re-wilding policy that pays farmers more to leave fields to naturally return to their natural sate than it pays to grow crops. What did that tousled tosser think we were going to do for food? He's OK he's a millionaire,

• The farmers of western societies have woken up to the fact they wield alot of power. As I said earlier no farms no food.

We need to control the pendulum, as no-one will be happy with millionaire farmers. It's the processed foods that need overpricing. Politicians need to wake up themselves that certain perceived negatives could be turned into major positives. Protecting the greenbelt, sugar drinks tax to name but two.

Instead of running scared, become bold and I believe people will wake up too.

• It's happening here as well. Boris got things moving with his re-wilding policy that pays farmers more to leave fields to naturally return to their natural sate than it pays to grow crops. What did that tousled tosser think we were going to do for food? He's OK he's a millionaire,

Yep, Boris was a twat.

I buy most of my food locally from markets and butchers etc. I only shop at tesco if I can't avoid it.

• The way this issue is seen by the media varies widely so I thought I would post a range of articles covering the various view points. ..  .

A very good set of reads thanks. I'd say they were convergent.

The situation is a mess and seems to be a typical case of the old adage that road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I don't support the farmers reckless law breaking at all but that said they have a point. Various countries in the EU and beyond (yes the UK) have gone for very simplistic implementation of the EU policies to cut polluting activities. That was always going to place them at an unfair disadvantage to imported produce unless one of three things pertains:

- equivalent bans are placed on the production of the imported produce - just about impossible to implement

- those nations and the EU give up on farming as a vital strategic resource - dumb dumb dumb

- those nations further subsidise farming to balance the impact - hard to sell the needed taxation

Just blindly ignoring the issue isn't a sensible option

Currently ignoring Echo 10

• Absolutely right Steve, no easy answer. Food production and feeding our population largely with our own produce where possible has to be the central tenet of any policy. Doing so in a way that is environmentally considerate should be a longer term objective that allows food production to continue using tried and tested methods whilst developing sustainable alternative methods to be phased in without impacting yields.

The current draconian banning and farm closures are the act of lunacy, the sort of thing you would expect from extinction rebellion or similar activist movements.

It makes you wonder where the current policies originated.

• Yes, the cattle that wandered the Earth before we penned them up! And now they are responsible for global warming!

What claptrap. I can't believe that so many people have fallen for this argument.

We need to become food sufficient in this country without delay, and leave our meat alone!

• Yes, the cattle that wandered the Earth before we penned them up! And now they are responsible for global warming!

What claptrap. I can't believe that so many people have fallen for this argument.

We need to become food sufficient in this country without delay, and leave our meat alone!

And you've actually looked at the history of cow numbers? Of course not.

As for your neeps and tatties dream of becoming food sufficient in the UK, it's impossible without some Thanos like cull of half the population

Currently ignoring Echo 10

• And you've actually looked at the history of cow numbers? Of course not.

As for your neeps and tatties dream of becoming food sufficient in the UK, it's impossible without some Thanos like cull of half the population

I meant more self sufficient, I know total self sufficiency isn’t likely to be possible.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!