When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • With a litre of Diesel at around £1.95 here’s how the approximate cost breaks down

Fuel cost 110p

Fuel duty 52.95 p

VAT 32.59p

VAT is actually charged on the duty as well as the the fuel cost , tax on tax.

Inflationary rip off ?

• A rip off indeed.. What is also annoying is the fact the the cost per barrel of crude has reduced considerably the price at the pumps is still rising.

Who is ripping the public off and increasing their profits. ?

The Voice of Reason

• It would have been even worse under Gordon Brown!

On the flip side of your argument, the petrol/diesel price will encourage more people to buy electric cars.

Just for clarification, I won’t be one of them! I don’t want to develop range anxiety!!

• It would have been even worse under Gordon Brown!

On the flip side of your argument, the petrol/diesel price will encourage more people to buy electric cars.

Just for clarification, I won’t be one of them! I don’t want to develop range anxiety!!

I think electric cars have the place but range anxiety is real.

My sister who lives in the South East daren’t travel North to see our parents in Hull .

She tried once only to find there are no Tesla charging points in the city .

To be fair Hull is pretty much the end of the line in so many ways but it demonstrates that the infrastructure is not yet in place

• On the flip side of your argument, the petrol/diesel price will encourage more people to buy electric cars.

I doubt that highly OB. If you are worried about the price of fuel then you won't be in a position to splash £40k on an EV.

EV ownership requires a recognised change in lifestyle as you will be factoring time into your life for EV charging unless you have home charging and can wait to charge overnight. If you are doing a longer journey you will need to plan your route via planned recharging and hope that there isn't too big a queue, the chargers are actually working and you have the time to spare for the charging. Also to recognise that you are not saving any carbon as the electricity is likely to have been generated by some other pollution elsewhere and your EV will be in a carbon deficit until it has covered at least 70,000 miles by which time the battery will have lost 15% - 20% of its efficiency and your charging and range anxiety will be much greater than it was at the start. That doesn't mean to say things won't improve with time but thats the current state of play.

One of my neighbours is on his third Tesla, he likes to change his car every year (always has). He has no idea how much additional carbon footprint he has been personally responsible for as he only covers about 10,000 miles per year.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I changed my car in the New Year for an SUV the reason being I find it difficult getting in an out of a low car, wife the same due to a serious leg injury now classed as disabled ..

We looked at Electric Vehicles and Hybrids far to expensive, we do not do a lot of mileage wife drives four miles to work and back 5 days a week a weekly shop and a trip to Bingo Hall at the weekends .

When we go on a run up North its 300 miles each way, charging stations are few and far between so we will stick to conventional cars until we have no other choice, I am more inclined to favour a hydrogen car quick refuel and away provided the infrastructure is in place by then

• And once everyone has switched over to electric watch the increase in price for electric and tax match what petrol/diesel is now.

You've forgotten the current discussions within government about pay per mile road pricing. The idea of this is to recover the lost revenue from the uptake of EV's.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Ain't that the truth! And when they eventually ban smoking who will have to pay the tax they get from that now. I doubt they will be prepared to cut their losses. All the non smokers have got an easy ride right now as the smokers subsidise the NHS.

• Ain't that the truth! And when they eventually ban smoking who will have to pay the tax they get from that now. I doubt they will be prepared to cut their losses. All the non smokers have got an easy ride right now as the smokers subsidise the NHS.

They are already concerned about the loss of revenue caused by people not smoking so it is a tax on sugar and fatty foods now. If they are genuinely concerned about rising costs in the NHS they should maybe consider only offering treatment to UK citizens rather than anyone who just turns up in this country. Maybe there should be a gatekeeper at all hospitals checking papers before being allowed in? You cannot use a toll road without paying but the NHS is truly free for most chancers.

• There used to be people who did check the Status of Foreign Nationals to verify if some Patients were entitled to treatment by the NHS , don't know if that is still in place.

It matters not if someone is entitled to treatment or not if their condition is life threatening the NHS will treat them if they have no choice , or at least stabilize them until they are fit enough to return home, the NHS can then try and recoup the cost from their home country we do have agreements with some countries

In my opinion anyone travelling to the UK for work, pleasure or business should be forced to have Travel Insurance including Medical Cover I never travel without it just in case.

The NHS cannot continue much longer IMHO it is overburdened by the sheer weight of numbers we keep throwing more and more money at it but that does not solve its problems, it needs to be run more efficiently better value for our money we need to cut out waste, if not it will collapse eventually

Another large expensive problem the NHS has which is already costing the NHS ( taxpayers) a Kings Ransom is not Smokers , but Obesity , heart problems, breathing, diabetes, joints etc many people are overweight and they are getting younger it is a serious problem and very expensive

• I posted in another thread (News you didn't know you want to know) about leaked documents from a disgruntled ex-Uber executive spilling the beans about how Western governments have facilitated Uber's place into most markets through (illegal??) collusion with top officials.

The video below shows the murky details behind this and then moves on to how private car ownership is being phased out and the tactics that are being deployed to make this happen. It starts to get really interesting from 12:45 and gets even more interesting from 14:50 to the end.

As an aside to this it seems that at least one of the candidates for PM is a NetZero sceptic this is Suella Braverman so you will no doubt see she comes in for some ferocious criticism from the corporate media for her "wrong think". I'm going to look into Suella a bit closer now.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The NHS cannot continue much longer IMHO it is overburdened by the sheer weight of numbers we keep throwing more and more money at it but that does not solve its problems, it needs to be run more efficiently better value for our money we need to cut out waste, if not it will collapse eventually

Government procurement is the underlying problem. They are obsessed with value for money but don't seems to have any idea what VFM is. The money and time wasted is mind boggling. They always seem to grossly over pay for basic items whilst tooting off they have secured a great deal. It seems corrupt to me.

• As far as I am aware Head of the NHS Trusts are responsible for ordering the stock PPE etc and equipment they need , which is then submitted to a Government Department to send out tenders for Contracts,

https://www.gov.uk › government › collections › nhs-procurement

• As far as I am aware Head of the NHS Trusts are responsible for ordering the stock PPE etc and equipment they need , which is then submitted to a Government Department to send out tenders for Contracts,

https://www.gov.uk › government › collections › nhs-procurement

And that is exactly what I was talking about - the government procurement processes do not deliver VFM -in fact quite the opposite in many cases.

• They are already concerned about the loss of revenue caused by people not smoking so it is a tax on sugar and fatty foods now. If they are genuinely concerned about rising costs in the NHS they should maybe consider only offering treatment to UK citizens rather than anyone who just turns up in this country. Maybe there should be a gatekeeper at all hospitals checking papers before being allowed in? You cannot use a toll road without paying but the NHS is truly free for most chancers

"Your papers are not in order."

What the hard right wants to see in Britain.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-030-0780-28%2C_Krakau%2C_Razzia_von_deutscher_Ordnungspolizei.jpg

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!