Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • No doubt energy & fuel prices are a major factor in inflation but are large companies profiteering & stoking the fire?

No. Don’t think so. I would be interested in evidence to the contrary.

Do you have any? Links?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I don’t know exactly how much food prices have gone up but I’d say I’m spending at least 20% more in the supermarket each week than I was

Clearly rising fuel & energy costs have an impact on most businesses but here’s some interesting results

Tesco report pre tax profit up from £636 million to £2.03 billion

BP & Shell have made vast sums

• No doubt energy & fuel prices are a major factor in inflation but are large companies profiteering & stoking the fire?

Well the government certainly think the energy companies are profiteering from current events and have levied a Windfall tax on them with a value of approx £5bn. I'm not sure where that money will go but it seems rich to me that the government have essentially fined the energy companies for charging too much, having already taken an obscene amount of green levies and VAT on those allegedly inflated prices. Clearly the governments own tax take has risen as a direct result of the base price being increased? Maybe they should put a windfall tax on themselves??

When will the consumer get some relief from all this. Already screwed over by the energy companies and then hit with ludicrous taxes on top, the consumer should get some money back or some relief in future. Will that actually happen?

Maybe rather than a windfall tax being imposed they could compel the energy companies to refund their consumers by the amount overcharged?

Energy prices: How will the £5bn windfall tax work?
    The UK government is imposing a £5bn windfall tax on energy companies, this is how it will work.
    www.bbc.co.uk

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!