Do You Remember London 2012?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • 27 July 2012. Ten years ago today.

I watched, spellbound, as Britain said "Welcome To The World."

What a time that was. It was a great time to be British. I was genuinely proud of our country then. We opened our doors and our hearts to people of all nations and showed them how we could smile and laugh and open our arms, and yes, we showed them how we could win too, as Jess and Greg and Mo gave us a super Saturday that will live forever in the minds of all those who saw it.

Ten years ago today, we were a truly great nation. And look at us today. Fearful, inward looking, isolated and screaming in petulance "fuck off, we're full." Ten years ago we were honest and open and friendly. Today we are a nation governed by liars, we slam our doors in the world's face and we are hateful people.

Opening Ceremony - London 2012 Olympics | Industrial Revolution Performance - YouTube

Magnificent.

Do you remember this? You should. Because if we don't change, and get back to how we were, we will never see its like in this country ever again.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

• I remember at the time the suggestion that someone truely characteristic of Britain at the time should open the games: Amy Winehouse, tottering up the ramp. Bottle of Voddy in one hand and a reefer in the other. Taking a drink of one, then a drag on the other and then tossing the nub end into the chauldron to light the flame. ^^

TBQH I'm not a sport follower so largely ignored all the hype at the time.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• We opened our doors and our hearts to people of all nations and showed them how we could smile and laugh and open our arms,

Yes we did, but it was on the basis that whilst they were here they spent all their money and when the games were over they went home.

What are you trying to say?

And look at us today. Fearful, inward looking, isolated and screaming in petulance "fuck off, we're full."

See comment to previous quote...

Ten years ago we were honest and open and friendly.

See above

Today we are a nation governed by liars, we slam our doors in the world's face and we are hateful people.

When did we slam a door metaphoric or otherwise in the worlds face? Got a link?

Boris was a Liar, May was a Liar, Cameron was a Liar, Brown was a liar, Blair was a big Liar, Major was a Liar, Major was a Liar, Thatcher (not sure), Callaghan was a Liar (crisis what crisis?), Heath was a Liar, Wilson was a Liar, and so on - there isn't anything new here.

Who are the hateful people?

Do you remember this? You should. Because if we don't change, and get back to how we were, we will never see its like in this country ever again.

Actually you raise the point about London 2012 but that really wasn't when things changed, the country changed when Labour lost the 2010 election. That was when the madness started, when the lefties lost political power in the UK, it was like a switch being flicked and it hasn't changed ever since. Brexit was just chucking more petrol on the fire but the fire was already burning by then.

You have spent 12 years now trying to make the country into something you like when the majority want something else, you are a revolutionary. I don't expect you to like the way things are any more than I didn't like the Blair years but I didn't act like a petulant spoiled brat as you so demonstrably do. I waited to cast my vote in a democratic election. I recommend you do the same because whatever your game is, it ain't working.

Now, what were you trying to say?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Yep what a load of old codswallop. There is very little change in a 10 year period. 10 years is nothing in the grand scale of things and feels like yesterday.

So, you say nothing has changed in Britain in the last ten years, then?

You suggest that we are still the same country we were ten years ago?

So, Brexit has changed nothing, then?

• Well, I have no idea how long it would have taken you to dissect the post into individual snippets to repeat yourself several times over, presumably in the hope it would have an effect or make some sort of point. But thanks for the effort. It shows you care.

No, London 2012 wasn't about extracting money from peoples pockets and then telling them to fuck off home. Those are your values, not mine. Don't taint me with your sordid mentality. Hosting the Olympic Games was about many things and yes, making money was one of them. But another thing they were about was something called "Legacy". Look the word up and try to get your head around it.

How The London Olympics Still Make $176 Million For Britain Six Years On (article written in 2018)

The money continued to roll into Britain long after the flame went out and the fans went home. For example: The toxic wastelands of East London were regenerated with Olympic money. The Labour government did that. Would it be happening under your Brexit government today? I don't think so.

After the Games, the accommodation used by athletes during the games was converted to affordable homes for the people. The Olympic Village became East Village. Take a look at the pictures. Hey, I wouldn't mind living there. And don't try to claim that as a Tory success, it was all planned long before 2010. Labour made sure of that.

The Former Olympic Village Is Now East Village - Homes For The People

The London 2012 Athletes’ Village - Home to 17,000 athletes in Games-time - has been transformed into East Village. With over 2,800 new homes - and 2000 more planned - East Village is now home to around 6,000 people, three children’s play areas and 35 acres of open land and parkland.

I have no idea if Olympic money is still coming into Britain today. I doubt it. So, tell me why that might be.

Britain slammed the door on the world's face on 23 June 2016. The "Hostile Environment", the hate being shown towards refugees, and Priti Patel's Rwanda schemes are examples. You'll never admit it because you haven't got the courage of your convictions. You try to bully me on here because you've got your Nazi mates with you to back you up, but you wouldn't do it to my face. An old army saying: "No guts, no glory." The lot of you are cowards hiding behind a bent referendum result that is long past its sell by date to justify your racism and extremist views.

You attempt to hide Johnson's crimes in a metaphorical forest by suggesting all previous Prime Ministers did the same things that he did. That is like comparing Richard Nixon to Abraham Lincoln, or JFK, or Franklin D Roosevelt. Those presidents did dumb stuff too, but nothing anywhere near as bad as Nixon.

Our entire government is corrupted at the behest of one vainglorious man who you supported to the hilt, but now knowing that it is no longer possible to deny his lies, corruption and sleaze, which you repeatedly acted as apologist for, over and over and over all the time he was getting away with it, now that he's been rumbled beyond any hope of sweeping it all under the carpet, you change tack and start to portray him as being no worse than anybody else. it doesn't work, mate.

So. London 2012. Let's have another clip, shall we? How about proud Britons doing something that brought honour, credit and glory to our country.

SUPER SATURDAY | LONDON 2012 OLYMPICS | RELIVE THE GLORY | GREATEST NIGHT OF BRITISH ATHLETICS
    Relive the glory of the greatest night of British Athletics in history at the Olympic stadium at London 2012. Jessica Ennis, Greg Rutherford and Mo Farah sol...
    www.youtube.com

I would bet a pair of Jimmy Choos to a sock with a hole in it that if you watched that clip at all, you turned it off before you got to the bit where the black guy wins.

London 2012 was magnificent and the reason you can't stand it being rehashed is because it shows up the stark contrast of what this country has become.

And the last thing you want is for people to remember what we were before your vile project took hold.

• Have hysterics and ban you.

Tolerance seems to be a one way thing don't you think.

A bit like the parent child relationship.

Your child says something you don't like and you tolerate it as part of their formative years that they will reflect on one day and conclude "I was a bit of an arsehole" and then you get a hug and a "sorry" out of nowhere.

When you say something they don't like they storm off and slam the door and won't speak to you for days - cancel culture.

The left are just a bunch of immature kids who strop when they don't get their own way.

Don't worry ITG there will be grown ups on hand to supervise you.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Well, I have no idea how long it would have taken you to dissect the post into individual snippets to repeat yourself several times over, presumably in the hope it would have an effect or make some sort of point. But thanks for the effort. It shows you care.

It takes no time at all if you know what you are doing and I do care ITG. You worry me greatly as in I am concerned for your wellbeing and see your abusive postings as a cry for help.

No, London 2012 wasn't about extracting money from peoples pockets and then telling them to fuck off home. Those are your values, not mine. Don't taint me with your sordid mentality. Hosting the Olympic Games was about many things and yes, making money was one of them. But another thing they were about was something called "Legacy". Look the word up and try to get your head around it.

Well aware of Olympic Legacy ITG have you looked into it. The legacy from Atlanta 96 was that the stadium was only partially dismantled leaving only one end which remains to this day and is the home of the Atlanta Braves Baseball team. They also have the Olympic Park as a legacy of the games with a memorial to those who were killed in bombing during the games.

Sydney 2000 Stadium. It has been renamed several times but has found adequate commercial use to survive.

Athens is another matter altogether. Greece couldn't afford the Olympics and struggled to get the facilities ready in time. After the games the stadium fell into disuse and disrepair leaving only a legacy of debt to a country already in debt due to its ties to the EU (you really should look that one up ITG). Here is an article on how the Athens 2004 facilities were looking 10 years later...

Abandoned Athens Olympic 2004 venues, 10 years on – in pictures
    A decade after Greece hosted the world’s greatest sporting extravaganza, many of its once-gleaming Olympic venues now lie abandoned
    www.theguardian.com

China 2008 not much to say as they built a magnificent stadium and it has been used many times since for international events and they wouldn't let it become a wreck anyway because loss of face and all that.

Then London. It is now the home of West Ham Football Club but remains reconfigurable to hold Track and Field as long as it isn't during the football season. It's future was in doubt for a while and initially it was thought that Tottenham were going to buy it but decided in the end to build their own new venue next door to their old stadium.

Brazil 2016 nearly bankrupted the country, caused multiple deaths during construction and now lay abandoned see link below

After the Games: Abandoned, decaying Olympic venues around the world
    The Olympics bring fans together from around the world, oftentimes the Game's venues are left to decay through the years.
    eu.usatoday.com

Japan 2020/21 I guess is still in good order as the Japanese wouldn't let it fall to ruins, loss of face and all that and its too recent.

So legacy, yeah, its a mixed bag. Wealthy countries that can afford the Olympics have benefited but the poor nations not so much.

In regards to the Legacy of London, well that is all a matter of perspective. The legacy was planned in advance and the Olympics was just the vehicle to fund a number of these projects that were probably going to happen anyway. The village becoming residential, well that happens at most games venues and was factored in from the start. The games was just used to allocate a different pot of money to something that was likely going to happen anyway. The site of the games in London was one of the a last locations to get redeveloped after the closure of the docks and the regeneration of the old docklands areas. The toxic waste and Japanese knotweed i seem to recall had become something of an environment issue that was expensive to remove so the developers wouldn't touch the ground until somebody else would pay for it. See how this Olympic thing works? Free money to get shitty jobs done except it isn't free money at all is it, it is tax payers money.

I have no idea if Olympic money is still coming into Britain today. I doubt it. So, tell me why that might be.

Because the income would no longer be accounted for in this way. Any incomes generated from structures built back then would now be just business as usual income streams. Remember it was the Conservative/LibDem coalition that got the project over the line. The Labour Party sanctioned the project but it needed refinancing several times throughout its life. I recall that the project was re-baselined just a few weeks before completion so that it would give the appearance of completing on budget but it cost a hell of a lot more than originally estimated and was more technically challenging because of the land remediation which was far worse than first thought.

Britain slammed the door on the world's face on 23 June 2016.

No we didn't. We voted to leave a political union that we should never have been in, as we entered a trading block which hid its aspirations to become a Federal State. The door remains open to all legal travellers who turn up with a passport or visa or as valid refugees as defined by law. You are just plain wrong on this and peddling your commie lies.

The "Hostile Environment", the hate being shown towards refugees, and Priti Patel's Rwanda schemes are examples.

Has this got anything at all to do with London 2012 or are you just scatter gunning again? If you are a refugee you don't get to choose where you live, you are allocated a place of safety. Remember Merkel trying to get other EU countries to take the "refugees" that Germany accepted? I think they told her to fuck off, certainly Poland and Hungary did and France is already unrecognisable so they didn't want anymore and Italy was just a corridor to Norther Europe. Rwanda seemed like a reasonable solution to me a country that was happy to take refugees is a glorious thing, what is not to like. Why do you want them there?

You try to bully me on here because you've got your Nazi mates with you to back you up, but you wouldn't do it to my face. An old army saying: "No guts, no glory." The lot of you are cowards hiding behind a bent referendum result that is long past its sell by date to justify your racism and extremist views.

Me bully you? How exactly, I just provide a counter argument to your bullshit, if that is now bullying you, by definition are bullying me by disagreeing with me. If you want to play the oppressed victim go ahead but I assume that you come here for robust debate that you won't get in your utopia of harmonious agreement that I don't think actually exists.

Bent referendum, just because you lost it has to be bent, he cheated Miss whaa whaa! What a cry baby.

You attempt to hide Johnson's crimes in a metaphorical forest by suggesting all previous Prime Ministers did the same things that he did. That is like comparing Richard Nixon to Abraham Lincoln, or JFK, or Franklin D Roosevelt. Those presidents did dumb stuff too, but nothing anywhere near as bad as Nixon.

I think most reasonable people would say that Blairs crimes are far worse than Johnsons. I'm no fan of Boris even though you don't seem to understand that.

Our entire government is corrupted at the behest of one vainglorious man who you supported to the hilt, but now knowing that it is no longer possible to deny his lies, corruption and sleaze, which you repeatedly acted as apologist for, over and over and over all the time he was getting away with it, now that he's been rumbled beyond any hope of sweeping it all under the carpet, you change tack and start to portray him as being no worse than anybody else. it doesn't work, mate.

As stated most reasonable people would say Blair was far worse and he had three whole terms to do his damage not 50% of a single term so you are talking shite again.

So. London 2012. Let's have another clip, shall we? How about proud Britons doing something that brought honour, credit and glory to our country.

I thought I'd save this one for last, I was there, at the end of the back straight cheering like a lunatic and waving my Union Jack. It was a fantastic evening, one I shall never forget. The atmosphere, the camaraderie the whole sense of one nation together with a single purpose was extremely wholesome. I have also got the whole BBC Olympic Games box set not on DVD but this one was worth paying for the BluRay.

I really don't know what to think of you ITG. You have me all wrong and by extension you have most other people wrong as well. I couldn't give a toss that Mo Farrah was a Somalian (not sure what his entry status would be called given recent news stories) Trafficked Individual. He is British now, clearly holds British values that I and most others recognise as British and he has done us proud. Jessica Enniss-Hill, do you know it never occurred to me that she was from a mixed race background until somebody told me - does that make me colour blind? - is that a bad thing today? - I honestly didn't know and I had followed her career for some years. in all the commentaries on her it hadn't come up as a subject worth discussing once. We can all spare a bit of fun for Greg Rutherford, even he was surprised he jumped that far, first jump as well. And he's ginger so good on him.

But as I say, the shift in the country started long before the London 2012 games. It started with Labour losing the 2010 GE. That was when the salty, bitter, angry, nazi, racist, xenophobe smears started, You and your sort have been doing it for years and here we are 12 years later and you are still at it, angry, snarling, sneering, rude and bloody obnoxious and talking no more sense now than at any time before.

And this time you try to take possession of the London Olympic Games of 2012 to make your point. How fucking dare you take such a cheap and basically desperate poke at people you don't know, have never met and know nothing about. Stop stereotyping people and making broad sweeping judgements. You know fuck all, you prove it every time you post on here. Your just making yourself look stupid.

• IT Girl should look at some of the newsreels of Nazi Germany and documentaries of what the Nazis were actually like.

They were murderous brutes with absolutely no pity at all. You couldn’t describe people in the Conservative Party as anything like that. So the use of that word is clearly meant as an insult because there’s no basis in fact for such name-calling.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• IT Girl should look at some of the newsreels of Nazi Germany and documentaries of what the Nazis were actually like.

They were murderous brutes with absolutely no pity at all. You couldn’t describe people in the Conservative Party as anything like that. So the use of that word is clearly meant as an insult because there’s no basis in fact for such name-calling.

It comes from stupidity, ignorance and indoctrination. ITG needs to keep better company.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!