Should we still have faith in the medical profession and NHS?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Note to H - if you want to move this into "The Great NHS debate" thread thats fine but I thought this was slightly different in focus to that but its your forum so happy with whatever you decide.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Medical science and the medical profession have come a long way in a short time. Even using the inexact metric of looking at current drama programmes on TV compared to historic programmes can highlight the obvious ways in which dealing with the sick, injured and elderly has changed over the years and all within my own lifetime as well.

The fundamental change that I can see is the amount of work done by the paramedics when they are called to a sick or injured person. The paramedics often save a life before they drive back to the hospital. Going back in time, ambulance drivers would just bundle a body onto a stretcher and drive as quickly as possible back to hospital for a doctor to do the lifesaving bit.

Once in hospital the treatment and procedures available have significantly increased in number and complexity and reliance upon technology. This can bring about better outcomes for the patient as the procedures can be less intrusive (keyhole surgery), more focussed (modern cancer treatments) or even dealt with by drugs rather than surgery (some heart conditions).

It all seems to be a good news story, everything is great, everything is better than it was. But is that actually true?

For me, I don’t think everything is better than it was, I make some observations about things that I don’t think are right in the NHS or may be draining trust in the medical profession. Observations in no particular order:

• Difficult/impossible to get a GP appointment or excessive time lag between calling and getting an appointment
    • Long waiting lists for hospital appointments
    • High number of cancelled operations
    • Doctors not employed on full time basis – have private practices as a side hustle
    • Understaffing causing excessive waiting times
    • Inefficient practises, those people who are employed seem to be busy working bureaucratic systems and associated administrative duties rather than dealing with patients
    • Passing the buck – referrals to other departments require a letter and a separate appointment for another day – multiple visits for one thing that could have been done in a single visit
    • Talking down to people - we saw a lot of this during Covid but it goes beyond that, this is to do with trying to influence how people lead their lives be that drinking, smoking, diet, exercise, yes they have always done it but its different now as they are getting too preachy. Doctors want to interfere and influence policy by trying to change people and their habits
    • The overt politicisation of the NHS, a leftward leaning organisation (to put it mildly) and all that goes along with that singularity of opinion that seems to be held by all in the NHS, including the Diversity and Inclusivity Policies – all straight from the book of Marxism

There are probably many other things that I could add here but that will do for a starter.

Do you still have faith in the NHS and medical profession?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• You’re not wrong, Armitage.

Those doctors who also deal with private patients I think we have to tolerate, though. This is not a case of NHS doctors getting time off for private practice - it’s a case of doctors in the private sector giving up some of their time for NHS work. If they didn’t do that, think of the mess the NHS would be in.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I lost trust in the NHS and doctors a long time ago. I will use (and I mean use) them if I need to but only if I am desperate but I wont take everything they say as gospel and will do my own research and make my own decision. Even family members should keep an eye on a family member or friend when visiting them on the ward and check that bed sheets have been changed, bed pans emptied, pain is being dealt with accordingly and they are being fed etc, and even go as far as trying to read and interpret the charts and med's given on the end of the bed and respectfully get on the case with the medical staff and hassle them if you feel the need. There's a reason doctors handwriting is notoriously hard to read and they use a lot of acronyms. It's to cover their arses when things go wrong through obfuscation.

Never completely put you trust in them 100% and remind yourself that they are also under the influence of the Department of Health from the likes of Hancock etc passed on down to the trusts via the trust managers, not to mention how overworked medical staff are and mistakes can happen and things can be forgot when overworked and tired. That's when accidents happen. We also have to consider our data privacy. I signed an opt out with my GP some years back not to share data with NHS trusts when they centralised the computer systems so Ambulance tech can have your history on hand if needs be. I would rather they made a diagnosis based on tests rather than my history. Also much of this data is now sold to US insurance and credit companies.

• I still have some faith in the NHS , the problem it has is the sheer weight of numbers of patients that it has to deal with 24/7 , it is badly run and has been for years, we do not get good value for our taxes so much is wasted throwing more money it does not work , it is one of Europe's largest employees the wages bill alone is very large.

• Like Fred, I have faith in the NHS.. They do make mistakes, but that's only human . The problem the NHS has to face is that they are not just dealing now with people who are genuinely ill, but a huge proportion of otherwise healthy people who demand lifestyle changes. Like Cosmetic surgery, Breast implants, Facelifts, Gender reassignment, treating Obesity, and others. If people are not ill and want lifestyle changes, go private and bloody well fund the treatment themselves. Leave the NHS to treat those who are genuinely ill.

• I agree with that, Mike, although I have no faith in the NHS as it is now. It needs a bloody good shake-up.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!