When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • My own reasoning tells me that everyone needs to pay into certain essential services such as health care and education, but if they want to they can also go private and perhaps get a discount from the government for taking pressure off the public services.

But the USA had always been the other way around. Everyone needed to have a healthcare plan that they either paid for themselves or was part of their employment package (so part of your salary). So having that well established model for many many decades even acknowledging the inequalities within it, there was always going to be kickback when you suddenly had to pay for healthcare for others that you were not entitled to received yourself and you still had to pay for your own.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Yes, I get it, but we had to do that in 1948 with the creation of the NHS. And a country that doesn’t ensure that the poor in society can access free essential services such as these is not one that I would wish to live in and should not be a feature of any civilised country.

• Oh, how I long for the day when the Trump haters post something showing proof to back up their hatred/claims against Mr Donald Trump. Nothing to see here - move on!!!

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• What post are you referring to?

Exactly. There are none.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• Many will say that the welfare state is a glorious success. It would and could be if it had been left as created as nothing more than a safety net.

Under the last Labour government our benefit system grew and grew, so much so that it became a way of life for some. Some people are not bothered about eating the cheapest foods, drinking the cheapest alcohol, hell they might even get a week in Torremolinos all inclusive.

The minute the government tightened the purse strings, the do gooders bleat like new born lambs.

The American system is it seems quite selective. Often those with pre existing conditions are left isolated unable to access treatment or get insurance cover. I will show my ignorance by saying I didn't understand Obamacare and with the amount of immigrants mostly illegal that the US deals with I can understand why its costs were astronomical.

Trump gave the impression of just wanting to wreck it, not really replace it. His arguments are solely that of a businessman not those of a human with compassion. That said, the Americans throw money around like confetti, figures that are staggering but it seems to work for them. Their politics however I hate, no one individual imo should ever have that much power.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• The US system is not comparable to any other. They put a man on the Moon. Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, You name it - they started in the USA. As well as many other great corporations and businesses.

The USA (people) is the most charitable country on Earth. The TV shows and Films are predominantly from the USA. The most powerful and the biggest, richest economy ever known.

Anyone who works hard can succeed in the USA.

Why is it many millions migrate to the USA - is it because they hate it??

The Constitution gives the people inalienable rights. Something we would do well to emulate.

• That's what living in a civilised society entails. Your hero doesn't want to live in such, he wants to live in an oppressive society

He just wanted to revert to the way things were before Obamacare - the USA - the greatest nation on the Earth (so they say)

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• The US system is not comparable to any other. They put a man on the Moon. Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, You name it - they started in the USA. As well as many other great corporations and businesses.

The USA (people) is the most charitable country on Earth. The TV shows and Films are predominantly from the USA. The most powerful and the biggest, richest economy ever known.

Anyone who works hard can succeed in the USA.

Why is it many millions migrate to the USA - is it because they hate it??

The Constitution gives the people inalienable rights. Something we would do well to emulate.

And yet the nation’s poor are left to starve. If your employer brings your contract to an end, even without notice, there is no support, they take away your house, car, credit card, health care, everything.

There is a balance, and there is none in modern day America. It’s everyone for himself.

• Well that depends on your values, Echo.

Values have nothing to do with it. I dont have the same values as a Goth person. But its a fact they exist.

• That it's way from being 'the greatest nation on earth'

I was merely repeating the often self proclaimed statement uttered by many Americans.

I think for many US citizens a very nice life is enjoyed. The US is not the best in terms of employee protection from unreasonable employers, sick pay and statutory holidays are poor but for most well educated and professional people the average wage is significantly higher than in the UK.

However, there is a dark underbelly to the US in terms of Fentanyl addiction, guns, the scourge of social justice and other craziness that if not matched exactly, has its own equivalents in other countries.

The USA has no place for people that won't work or be productive and that is a something that drives the politics of envy. Those that "have" had to sell their souls to get it and as a result just handing to those who are perceived as being unproductive or unwilling is just not on.

The message is clear, be willing and be productive and if you cannot, then do something to change that situation. Many do nothing to change their fortunes and would instead blame others for the predicament than themselves. Their are more self made millionaires in the US than anywhere else.

• Then, back in the UK the benefits clan trawl the list of poverties to see HOW many they can belong to this week. Which food bank has the best or the most and they know all the cons to ensure they get some benefit or other. But not forgetting more kids in the past, there was that guy (locked up now I believe) that had 10 or more kids, at that time the child benefit wasn't capped.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• Then, back in the UK the benefits clan trawl the list of poverties to see HOW many they can belong to this week. Which food bank has the best or the most and they know all the cons to ensure they get some benefit or other. But not forgetting more kids in the past, there was that guy (locked up now I believe) that had 10 or more kids, at that time the child benefit wasn't capped.

Broad brush inanity ^

Don't judge a barrel by the low % of bad apples in it no matter how much the Daily Mail wants you to

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!