Union boss threatens to bring Britain ‘to its knees’ and lead ‘millions’ on strike

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • It was inevitable I have stated from the beginning the Rail Strikes are politically motivated to try and bring the Government down by any means possible by the Marxist Union Leaders.

• I hope not in my youth when airplanes had outside loos, I was forced to join a Union (closed shop) I hated having to do it and paying to be a member part of which was to fund the Labour Party, I had little interest in politics back then don't have much time for it now.

But what I don't like as I understand it, that a Union can legally call a strike if only 40% of their members vote for a strike, that is why the Government may change the legislation to 50% IMO it should be 51%.

What about the Rail Workers that are not in a Union, do they get to voice their opinion or not? mind you they will not be popular if they refuse to join the Union.

The Militant Rail Union Leaders will not let their members vote on the pay offers the Rail owners have put forward, IMHO because the Leadership want the Strikes to continue longer.

When I moved down South, I no longer had to be in a Union which pleased me, I even crossed two Unison picket lines when I worked in Local Government.

Only 6.4% of the entire workforce are in a Union in this day and age, but the Dinasaur Union Leaders dream of the days before Maggie cut them down to size

• With threats of major national strike action things always start to get messy. I certainly wouldn't want to be advocating for outlawing strike action as that is going too far the other way and at some point it will be strike action that you personally agree with rather than as now something that most of you don't.

If you recall the miners strike things got messy for the very reasons you state i.e. many of the miners did not vote for strike action or were not union members and they wanted to go to work. This brought about "Flying Pickets" to try and block the buses of willing workers from going to work.

The second point is whether the strike is now politically motivated or not. If the strike is to win a decent pay rise related to the escalating cost of living, that is a noble cause whether one agrees that their demand is reasonable or not. But, if the strike is an attempt to bring the government down (and why would they think that would work?) then they will lose a lot of support that they may reluctantly have.

Mark Serwotka is a nutter living in the past. Clearly he thinks there are parallels to be drawn between the miners strike and today and that simply isn't the case. The miners were actually striking to save their jobs ultimately and they thought the only way to do that was to get rid of the government that wanted to destroy their industry. Whether you agree with the cause or not at least it is understandable although not many supported them even then.

If Serwotka thinks he can organise a general strike good luck to him, I don't think he will manage it and in any case he is now negotiating with a different government to all intents. Maybe the unions should hold station and wait to see what happens with some of the current big pay claims being negotiated. My view is, if he presses on to organise a general strike regardless he is indeed trying to take the government down and he will fail and do the union movement a lot of damage in the process.

He would do well to remember he if he succeeds he will be the first.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I am from a former cotton mill town more cotton workers lost their jobs than all the Miners put together and nobody said a word or did anything many thousands of them right across Lancashire and Yorkshire. those who supplied the mills with spare parts hauliers also went to the wall, at its peak the Cotton Mills made 60% of the worlds cotton goods.

We fell victim to outdated working practices and Unions blocking new more efficient looms being brought in to reduce costs therefore we could not compete with cheaper imports from Asia, the Unions demanded high wages back then due to high inflation, demands that could not be met so the Mills went under.

More Pits were closed under a Labour Government closed more pits than Maggie and the Tories did some years later, many of them were either almost played out or too costly to keep them open, some of those that were still viable fell into disrepair as the strike went on for so long., the Miners were also up against cheap imports from abroad

Also, to add to the Pits problem since the 60's the demand for coal was dropping rapidly, steam trains replaced by diesel many factories now had oil fired boilers instead of steam. the clean air act meant that many homes no longer wanted or needed coal, gas or electric fires.

Scargill's aim and battle cry from the start was to bring down the Government full stop, he failed thankfully he walked away with a big pension and big house in Yorkshire, and a very expensive flat in the Barbican, those that followed him ended up with bugger all

• my father in law worked for the NCB that was, he strikes but due to the fear of losing his home and not being able to feed his family properly he went back. Those were terrible days, brother vs brother, families torn apart because some felt enough was enough.

If they all got 10% we would see inflation rising resulting in higher interest rates leading to mortgages defaulting and homes lost.

Train drivers are well paid and of course there are employees in all areas that aren't. The sound bites need to stop trying to twist the knife into the government. Heat or eat, REALLY, until Nov last year I worked in the NHS, nurses using food banks, BS if they are it is because they squander their money. What about cleaners, cooks, porters, security all on under £20k.

Things need to be put into perspective, I understand that we've stagnated for years, no fault of this or any other government. When Angela Eagle was challenged about the state of the economy in 2010 , she claimed the banking crisis, but then goes on to slag off 12yrs of tory rule where they yet again picked up after shite Labour governments.

We are heading for a major global big bang IMHO. Bird flu, wheat shortages, gas and electric shortages all in all I could even imagine Putin pushing the button. If he doesn't, a major RESETTING of global commodities could lead to a ww3 scenario if things don't change.

I am not normally a doomster but cannot see how or where this is going to end right now.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• We are heading for a major global big bang IMHO. Bird flu, wheat shortages, gas and electric shortages all in all I could even imagine Putin pushing the button. If he doesn't, a major RESETTING of global commodities could lead to a ww3 scenario if things don't change.

I am not normally a doomster but cannot see how or where this is going to end right now.

With the exception of bird flu all the other problems are man made deliberate problems resulting from ideologically driven policies.

Why is there a shortage of gas? Don’t blame Putin. Why had Putin become Europe’s main supplier? Because of decision makers in Europe making extreme emissions cutting pledges at the altar of climate change. The idea of choking supplies and raising prices to encourage change is nothing but insidious social engineering. Our energy systems were just fine until the decision makers deliberately broke them.

Why are there electricity and energy crisis in Europe? Don’t blame Putin. See above paragraph. We are now attempting to source ethical gas supplies which is pushing up prices globally. Our decision makers are desperate not to back track on their ludicrous environmental policies even though significant relief lay right under our feet and in our territorial waters.

Why is there a shortage of grain and fertiliser? We import very little grain from Ukraine to Europe most went to Africa. So don’t blame Putin. Our decision makers have once again made extreme environmental pledges related to rewilding, reducing nitrogen emissions, reducing fertiliser reliance and reallocating land to solar panel farms and wind farms. Therefore reducing supplies and pushing up prices. Add to this the carbon taxes being levied on livestock farming which either pushes up prices or causes the farmers to sell up and who is buying the land? The governments especially in Holland but also New Zealand and Canada and this is spreading quickly. All these shortages and supply problems are because of our decision makers deliberately breaking the established supply chains.

So we have decision makers who are very much to blame for our current situation. This blind obsession with blaming Putin is utterly ridiculous and misplaced. Our situation is entirely driven by dogmatic adherence to climate change policy dictated at a global scale by the World Economic Forum and implemented via the annual COP summits.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I cannot argue with your statement as I don't know any better and have been too lazy to find out.

• I cannot argue with your statement as I don't know any better and have been too lazy to find out.

I follow this topic very closely but you should look into this for yourself. Don’t take my word for it.

• Train strikes: Minister hopes Christmas walkouts can be stopped
    The new transport secretary is hopeful for a deal but says wage rises that match inflation are not possible.
    www.bbc.co.uk

If the RMT refuse to settle, perhaps the rail network should close until the staff were prepared to work normally. It’s too easy to just call for one-day strikes, allowing the dispute to drag on.

Let’s see how long these people are prepared to limp on with no pay coming in.

• Their new tactic starting next month is 48-hour strikes which means 3 days at least to get some train running again, same in the New Year, time essential workers such as these had the right to strike taken away from them, each time they strike it damages our economy very badly

• Something that springs to mind for me with all these current planned strikes, when were these employments due to have their annual pay awards?

I suspect as the title here implies, that this is an attempt to bring down the government. If this could be shown to be true, then I believe charges of treason should be brought against union leaders.

Labour's representative on politics live today has stated that the unions want a Labour government. We need front page headlines informing the looney left that in order for Labour to form a government they need to win an election. Something they haven't proved very good at in my lifetime.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63746412

If the RMT refuse to settle, perhaps the rail network should close until the staff were prepared to work normally. It’s too easy to just call for one-day strikes, allowing the dispute to drag on.

Let’s see how long these people are prepared to limp on with no pay coming in.

in the case of rail, I think it would need to be the operators that called that. If the government tried they'd effectively be making the public purse responsible for operators costs.

• Considering the speed with which Labour like to jump up and down and point fingers of blame about who and what damages the economy they're staying pretty damn quiet on the subject of union leaders like Comrade Serwotka, his demands and his dogged determination to cling to 70 year old working practices like a tick to a buffalo's arse.

If pushed you might get a one word or a one line answer out of them when normally you can't shut them up.

Their silence speaks volumes

• I did state some time back in here, that IMO these strikes are politically motivated to bring about a GE, the far left do not care about our economy, or the country they really do want a return to the bad old days of the 70's, they want power no matter what the cost to the people is.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!