When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Facebook owner Meta expected to announce major job losses
    The company faces difficult economic conditions and is investing heavily in its metaverse push.
    www.bbc.co.uk

Shares in Facebook or Meta as the corporate entity is called these days, slumped 25% yesterday.

Yes, there is a global slowdown probably leading to a recession possibly leading to a severe recession and tech is getting hit the hardest, but is the collapse in Meta's shareprice all down to with wider economics, or are chickens coming home to roost here?

Remember this: Facebook/Cambridge Analytica scandal. Do we get what we deserve?

This company has always had shady practices, especially selling user's data to other companies without seeking permission first, but is that the reason why the share price is collapsing?

In recent times Meta has finally come to the attention of American regulators, so are Meta's problems just a blip along with the entire tech sector and they'll return stronger than ever, or are they finished?

I know which option I prefer. ;)

• It's become a platform for click bait and dodgy adverts.

The only reason I still use it is because it allows me to message friends from my pc now that I don't bother having a mobile phone. That and keeping up with who's having lamb chops for tea today (yawn) Why do people do that? Who do they think cares?

By and large it annoys me more than anything else. I'd not miss it if it vanished.

Missing out on the odd "happy birthday" message from friends I've not seen in the flesh for decades because they live overseas wouldn't have a negative impact on my sleep. Not likely to ever see them again anyhow!!

• It's become a platform for click bait and dodgy adverts.

The only reason I still use it is because it allows me to message friends from my pc now that I don't bother having a mobile phone. That and keeping up with who's having lamb chops for tea today (yawn) Why do people do that? Who do they think cares?

By and large it annoys me more than anything else. I'd not miss it if it vanished.

Missing out on the odd "happy birthday" message from friends I've not seen in the flesh for decades because they live overseas wouldn't have a negative impact on my sleep. Not likely to ever see them again anyhow!!

My step son who’s in his late 20s makes a living promoting charities on Facebook but says

For his generation FB is seen as rather outdated

• That’s a big question H which could result in a huge post. I will have a go at several angles of reasoning for the downturn in Meta’s fortunes. As I understand it there are a number of factors at play.

First, who uses Facebook? The long running joke goes that Facebook is for old people. It is used a lot by Boomers the youngest Boomer was born in 1964. So they are starting to die off. The next biggest users are Gen X who are now of an age where they are up to their necks looking after a growing family and elderly parents simultaneously so they are really busy. The mums will use it for gossip groups and sports teams information for their kids but not so much for anything else. Dad’s may use it for the marketplace if they have hobbies. But in general these two groups who would have been around at the very beginning of Facebook are busy doing other things these days. Younger groups use other applications such as Instagram and TikTok, Snapchat etc.

Second, Facebook is an old format that has sort of served its purpose to a larger extent. When it launched in 2004 it was little more than a slicker version of Friends Reunited but being US based the user uptake was greater and spread globally quickly. The thing is friends have now been reunited and due to new generations being raised on technology in a way that older generations could not have been friends don’t need reuniting anymore because they stay connected using modern technology as a part of modern culture, but using other applications.

Third, Facebook sells your data to make money. Nobody really wants that but you tolerate it for accessing the platform whilst it’s useful. But there have been so many stories about where the data goes and what it has been used for and the amount of money that has been generated from this it’s all a bit distasteful.

Fourth, Facebook got political and took a very left wing position. The result of this has been people both celebrities and regular people being cancelled for expressing views that are perfectly legal but don’t align with the views of Facebook. At the same time people with left wing views have been able to make outrageous statements with impunity because facebook agrees with them.

Fifth, censorship or suppression of certain types of news or information. There have been a number of notable examples of censorship such as the blocking of stories related to Hunter Biden’s laptop just before the 2020 Presidential Election, a story subsequently found to be true. Another example is related to Covid where any questioning of the official narrative was censored. Thereby forbidding reasonable debate and challenge which are the very essence of a free society and free speech.

I think you are right about the platform coming to the end of it’s time H.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• My step son who’s in his late 20s makes a living promoting charities on Facebook but says

For his generation FB is seen as rather outdated

What is the current "thing" then?

First, who uses Facebook? The long running joke goes that Facebook is for old people. It is used a lot by Boomers the youngest Boomer was born in 1964. So they are starting to die off. The next biggest users are Gen X who are now of an age where they are up to their necks looking after a growing family and elderly parents simultaneously so they are really busy. The mums will use it for gossip groups and sports teams information for their kids but not so much for anything else. Dad’s may use it for the marketplace if they have hobbies. But in general these two groups who would have been around at the very beginning of Facebook are busy doing other things these days. Younger groups use other applications such as Instagram and TikTok, Snapchat etc.

Ah... That just answers the question I posed to TB.

Second, Facebook is an old format that has sort of served its purpose to a larger extent. When it launched in 2004 it was little more than a slicker version of Friends Reunited but being US based the user uptake was greater and spread globally quickly. The thing is friends have now been reunited and due to new generations being raised on technology in a way that older generations could not have been friends don’t need reuniting anymore because they stay connected using modern technology as a part of modern culture, but using other applications.

Ok. Interesting. So, it's kind of served its purpose and no longer needed now.

Third, Facebook sells your data to make money. Nobody really wants that but you tolerate it for accessing the platform whilst it’s useful. But there have been so many stories about where the data goes and what it has been used for and the amount of money that has been generated from this it’s all a bit distasteful.

As you may recall from the Cambridge Analytica thread, it seems most people who use FB couldn't care less that their data was sold off when that scandal came to light. I was shocked.

Fourth, Facebook got political and took a very left wing position. The result of this has been people both celebrities and regular people being cancelled for expressing views that are perfectly legal but don’t align with the views of Facebook. At the same time people with left wing views have been able to make outrageous statements with impunity because facebook agrees with them.

Yes. It will be interesting to see if Musk turns around Twitter, or it stays the same. Unlike in this country, they do have freedom of speech in America, but no platform to air the views.

Fifth, censorship or suppression of certain types of news or information. There have been a number of notable examples of censorship such as the blocking of stories related to Hunter Biden’s laptop just before the 2020 Presidential Election, a story subsequently found to be true. Another example is related to Covid where any questioning of the official narrative was censored. Thereby forbidding reasonable debate and challenge which are the very essence of a free society and free speech.

I agree with fighting against the narrative that vaccines were bad, but otherwise yes, I don't like how the FBI had got its claws into FB and they just did what they were told by the government.

I think you are right about the platform coming to the end of it’s time H.

Never know, a few punters from FB might come here. Always need new blood. :)

• Never know, a few punters from FB might come here. Always need new blood.

If this forum took off like DS politics used to be or AVForums what would you do? Moderation efforts would need to be doubled or treble.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Honestly, don't know Armitage.

I need to find a job in the not too distant future as my caring role ended, so will not be able to be here too much and if this place got as busy as those places, more help would be needed.

I'll need to ponder that.

• It's simple...you monitor members and choose folk you think will fit the role and ask them if they want to be a moderator. Some will soon realise that it's not all glory, a time consuming thankless job and will step down from the position and some will stick. What's more difficult is how much freedom and / or permissions do you want to give your staff; as in are they free to get involved as a member or do they sit in the background watching. Also do you want moderators to manipulate threads and actively post to keep threads going and encouraging other members to post no matter how controversial it can get. This can land mods in a position where they are caught between being a regular member or being a mod and it's not always distinguishable to other members as they may come across as your mate so to speak. Or do you want them to not get personal and share their opinions and stick to moderation only and enforcing rules.

Eventually those moderators that are actively involved you may want to take a back seat and have new fresh moderators take over that job. So you have a ranking system earned over time as you rise up. The back seat mods only post on specific forum issues often backing up one of the other mods where they face a difficult or re-offending member and enforce heavier disciplinary actions. Mods who get involved on the shop floor so to speak can be to close to people and are more on friendly terms so don't always have the same impact or respect.

If you have enough members visiting daily then at some stage you may want mods to mod specific sections and then global mods that cover all areas and oversee those section mods. Admins obviously get a lot more permissions and oversee all the mods and deal with more specific forum background processes and the smooth running of the site. New member registrations, spam, site security etc. On occasion they may post either if they have something personal to share or a question to ask or if there are any specific forum issues, new rules, changes / updates etc needing publicly posting. They can also act as even more of a firm hand to back up any of the mods if things are getting heavy.

OK back on topic. I forgot what this thread was about for moment. As some of you know I don't do social media, particularly Facepoop. Haven't had an account there in years, long before the Cambridge Analytica scandal and have sacrificed losing contact with many family members and friends because of it. I am basically out of the loop and now seen as the black sheep, geeky loner. Saying that (and I cover my back on this) FB also hold shadow accounts on everyone whether you have an account or not with them based on fingerprinting. For example those silly FB like buttons and share on FB etc you see on sites have a tracker built into them that follows you around the web. FB 'sadly' is not dying it's just evolving into the wider Metaverse. Don't forget they also own WhatsApp and Instagram and have their fingers in many pockets.

• Honestly, don't know Armitage.

I need to find a job in the not too distant future as my caring role ended, so will not be able to be here too much and if this place got as busy as those places, more help would be needed.

I'll need to ponder that.

Well, if a lot more members contributed, you would have more to choose from. It might actually make it easier in someways.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!