How can Argentina and UK solve the Malvinas conflict?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Hello, im Pedro from Tigre. Thats a city in Argentina not far from Buenos Aires. I currently study in Germany and we have some discussions here about situation of Malvinas. In november till end december i do tours down in Ushuaia for tourists who travel to Antarctica and arrive few days earlier. When we have british guests they always wonder about the many malvinas signs we have there and did not know, that Ushuaia is also administration center for Malvinas. All this is always a big issue in Argentina and many british who come here are intimidated by this. The malvinas war is a big trauma for Argentina till today. My father was in that war so i know some stories.

The current situation is bad for evryone. The islanders are trapped on their island and miss opportunity to trade with Argentina in much bigger way. They are very isolated and travel is complicated for them.

Also political landscape changes and China is new superpower. China supports Argentina in this issue.

In the next decade the influence of argentina grows and we must find peaceful solution.

So my idea is that Malvinas become associated with Argentina but UK has far reaching rights. The citizens would get citizenship of Argentina and UK. There were times when UK was a big friend for us and i hope one day will be like that again.

• Thr Falklands are British. If Argentina wanted the people on the islands to become closer to them, then they shouldn't have invaded them and killed them.

They'll be no joint sovereignty of those islands. After being invaded by your country, the people on the Falklands, understandly, want to remain British.

As for being friends, as Britain practically built what is now the modern city of Buenos Aires, I am sure most British people have no issues with Argentina, as long as your country never threatens the Falklands again.

• Horizon is right, Pedro. The Falklanders want to remain British, but if they changed their minds and decided they wanted to be ruled by Argentina, Britain has said they will leave the islands.

It is difficult to understand why Argentina feels so passionately about this. They are just small islands in the middle of nowhere with a few people on it who want to remain under British rule. So what is the big deal?

Welcome to the Forum, by the way.

• Hello, im Pedro from Tigre. Thats a city in Argentina not far from Buenos Aires. I currently study in Germany and we have some discussions here about situation of Malvinas. In november till end december i do tours down in Ushuaia for tourists who travel to Antarctica and arrive few days earlier. When we have british guests they always wonder about the many malvinas signs we have there and did not know, that Ushuaia is also administration center for Malvinas. All this is always a big issue in Argentina and many british who come here are intimidated by this. The malvinas war is a big trauma for Argentina till today. My father was in that war so i know some stories.

The current situation is bad for evryone. The islanders are trapped on their island and miss opportunity to trade with Argentina in much bigger way. They are very isolated and travel is complicated for them.

Also political landscape changes and China is new superpower. China supports Argentina in this issue.

In the next decade the influence of argentina grows and we must find peaceful solution.

So my idea is that Malvinas become associated with Argentina but UK has far reaching rights. The citizens would get citizenship of Argentina and UK. There were times when UK was a big friend for us and i hope one day will be like that again.

I agree with Horizon

• Thr Falklands are British. If Argentina wanted the people on the islands to become closer to them, then they shouldn't have invaded them and killed them.

They'll be no joint sovereignty of those islands. After being invaded by your country, the people on the Falklands, understandly, want to remain British.

As for being friends, as Britain practically built what is now the modern city of Buenos Aires, I am sure most British people have no issues with Argentina, as long as your country never threatens the Falklands again.

hello, can i say out point of view?

I think its very complicated thing for various reasons. The Malvinas are so close to us and even part of our shelf. It appears so strange that a european country could use this against us.

The UK could steal our rescources down there if they wanted. Fish, oil, gas fields. There is alot around and right now nobody can get it right because the conflict. To drill for oil and gas you need stable conditions. If an area is disputed you cant do it. Just look at Cyprus and Turkey. Explorationexpeditions need absolute silence for proper echolocation and no disturbance. Its main reason exploration down there is stuck, because Argentina would use ships and other methods.

Beside that for strategic reasons its dangerous because can used to invade Argentina. The big problem i see is, that this entire issue is stuck.

Argentina will not give up Malvinas, even more so its often used as scapegoat when we have difficult politics, i fully admit that. At same time world becomes multipolar and China is rising as new world power. China supports Argentinas claim on Malvinas. I see this as good and bad.

Good thing is, that world power shifts in our direction, its only matter of time we can get it. But i have no trust in China and would prefer good relations with UK and Europe. China wants just our rescources.

I know the people from Malvinas maybe hate us and i can understand why but for us its a bad experience too. Im lucky, my father came back home not harmed or he would never have meet my mother and i would not exist. ^^*

But i wish there would be a solution that helps both sides. For the Malvinas people it would make evrything much easier too. If they could free trade and travel Argentina, they would get connected to the world. Would that not be good?

UK would finally gain support in South America, one of most important continents now with most rescources. Right now Argentina simply blocks evrything.

I dont say malvinas should become ours over night but some sort of peaceful cooperation.

• I think the ball is in Argentina's court. Over time, maybe they can persuade the Falklanders of the advantages of changing their allegience towards your country. There would certainly be economic advantages, I would have thought.

But this will take time and the islanders would have to see Argentina as a stable, peaceful, democratic country. That was certainly not the case when they were invaded by the dictatorship that was Argentina at the time.

Memories are long and to win over the islanders, you will need quite a charm offensive to win them over. But take a look at the UK and Germany. We now regard the Germans as friendly, but that wasn't the case 70 years ago. But as for whether we would want them ruling over us....maybe not.

• The Malvinas are so close to us and even part of our shelf. It appears so strange that a european country could use this against us.

No one is using anything against your country. Your country invaded the Falklands, not the other way around.

And on proximity, just because the islands are close to your country does not mean that you have the automatic right of ownership over them. The islands have never been Argentinan. Actually, the islands are not that close to you, they are 300 miles from Argentina.

The UK could steal our rescources down there if they wanted. Fish, oil, gas fields. There is alot around and right now nobody can get it right because the conflict. To drill for oil and gas you need stable conditions. If an area is disputed you cant do it.

Ah, now we get to the real reason.

If you mean the resources around the Falklands, in the sovereign territory of the Falklands, then those resources belong to the Falklands. There is no stealing.

Beside that for strategic reasons its dangerous because can used to invade Argentina. The big problem i see is, that this entire issue is stuck.

Whose going to invade Argentina? What, Britain?

In the 21st century, the only people who invade other countries are dictators like Putin. Besides, even if Britain did invade Argentina and was successful, how would it keep the country? Argentina is huge, Britian would not be able to manage the place.

Britain invaded what was Spanish Argentina twice and failed. Some of those invaders stayed and helped to create the modern Argentina. They'll be no modern invasion.

Argentina will not give up Malvinas, even more so its often used as scapegoat when we have difficult politics, i fully admit that. At same time world becomes multipolar and China is rising as new world power. China supports Argentinas claim on Malvinas. I see this as good and bad.

We couldn't care less what China says on the matter. It will be a long time before China becomes a glabal power and they can force their will on other parts of the world beyond their own region.

I know the people from Malvinas maybe hate us and i can understand why but for us its a bad experience too. Im lucky, my father came back home not harmed or he would never have meet my mother and i would not exist. ^^*

But i wish there would be a solution that helps both sides. For the Malvinas people it would make evrything much easier too. If they could free trade and travel Argentina, they would get connected to the world. Would that not be good?

UK would finally gain support in South America, one of most important continents now with most rescources. Right now Argentina simply blocks evrything.

If the dictator hadn't invaded the Falklands, quite possibly the people there would be Spanish speaking now. But because they were invaded, that will never happen.

As for support from the continent, many countries are still unstable, but Britain has good relations with the more stable countries like Chile and Brazil. And Chile supported Britain during the Falklands war.

• hi Pedro,

I fought in the Falklands war and have no respect for your army. They were soldiers fighting where they were told, but that is as far as it goes, they were poor and not in a financial sense.

I believe that for the Argentinian people you are being lead by your political class in a false assumption that these islands belong to you. They are a means of stoking national fervour in your country to take minds away from your economic problems.

That oil and gas that you mentioned, it seems that your studying has interfered with an understanding that the whole planet is trying to move away from fossil fuels. They wouldn't be worth anywhere near as much now as they were at the time of your invasion.

We could chat about the rights and wrongs of that war, your claims to the Islands and its resources, but as has been stated its the British residents of those Islands that you need to convince. Good luck with that one.

Do unto others as they would do unto you, then plead temporary insanitary 😂. :saint:

• The islanders are trapped on their island and miss opportunity to trade with Argentina in much bigger way. They are very isolated and travel is complicated for them.

I don't think trapped is the right word. Living on a remote island such as The Falklands is always going to create complications, these can be made worse by your neighbours who have their own agenda. The situation has some similarities to the relationship Gibraltar has with Spain although the Spanish have never unlawfully invaded. There is now trade and people crossing the borders everyday, the overarching EU governance put a stop to trade sanctions but I assume from what you say that. there is no direct travel between the Falklands and Argentina. Maybe this is something that needs to be reviewed as part of a reduction in hostilities on this subject?

We all how the Chinese view their own neighbours such as Taiwan, Nepal and even Japan. I would be very careful about getting too friendly with China, they are only interested in Argentina for its natural resources. If you don't mind the idea of your beautiful country being strip mined for whatever precious materials you have and for all valuable real estate in your cities and large tracts of land to all be purchased by the Chinese then you will be in for a treat. China will tell you it supports Argentina against the British but who does more trade? Remember they are only interested in you because of what is under your feet. Britain is interesting to them for geopolitical reasons but you are just a hole in the ground.

Your current leader is a big friend of the World Economic Forum. The WEF influence is on the wane, everybody now sees them for what they are, the world is changing against their unpopular ideas and the people that support them very fast indeed.

So my idea is that Malvinas become associated with Argentina but UK has far reaching rights.

What does this actually mean? Can you provide some details and most importantly....

What set of circumstances do you see unfolding to make the UK hand over the Falklands to Argentina?

There were times when UK was a big friend for us and i hope one day will be like that again.

It seems that the condition of your friendship is to hand over the Falklands, sounds like a one sided and abusive friendship if you ask me. Maybe before making this proposal you should start at the beginning and make the case or why the Falklands belong to Argentina.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Sure let me explain. The Malvinas are one of the biggest issues for Argentina and its evrywhere. Ushuaia even named government city of the Malvinas. The islands are evrywhere, in the rainforest in north, in Buenos Aires, Andes, Patagonia evrywhere you find memorials and billboards. I have no problems with british people but some say they dont feel good here because that. I understand that but for us its important.

There is no intention to start new war. We want solve this peacefully.

So right now its hard for Malvinas because we close most for them. Trade and tourism is hurt alot and travel very hard. If they could they would just fly Buenos Aires and could easily travel the world. If we open borders things would get much easier for them.

I dont like china and russia but they support us in this.

My idea is , that the Malvinas fall under shared authority. The people keep double citizenship. We could make free trade agreement with UK.

So much is possible.

Armitage Shanks  Canny Lad  Horizon

• No thanks we will abide by the wishes of the Islanders, when that changes we will look again.

Pedro provide any evidence that you may have from anywhere in your history that shows an Argentinian presence on those Islands that wasn't illegal like in the lead up to the war.

Do unto others as they would do unto you, then plead temporary insanitary 😂. :saint:

• I dont like china and russia but they support us in this.

I think getting into bed with China and Russia would be a bad idea, hopefully I don't need to explain that for you given current events.

If we open borders things would get much easier for them.

Again the pre-condition to opening up if I read you correctly is to handover the Falklands as they are known everywhere but Argentina. Any form of negotiated joint ownership if that could ever be negotiated and if it could ever make any sense given the diverse political outlooks of the UK and Argentina would have to start from a position of neutrality with all restrictions and controls removed. There would also have to be as a prerequisite an overwhelming demand from the Falkland islanders to be Argentinian. I believe there was a referendum some years go on this and only one islander voted to become Argentine. So there is some work to do here that current sanctions isn't changing. Maybe you could get your new friends in Russia and China to patrol the skies and seas to stop the UK from supplying the Falklands, put up a blockade supported by Russian nukes to make a withdrawal the only solution. Do you think the Falklands would become Argentinas if that were successful or would it become another strategic outpost for your new friends both are whom will be a little tougher to deal with than the UK?

Have you really thought this through?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Any country who invades and murders the peaceful population of another country is seen as wicked and evil. -- If the Falkland islanders ever considered being ruled by Argentine , they will never want to now. Argentine showed the world how evil their government is. If I were an Islander I would tell the Argies to "Foxtrot Oxford" in no uncertain terms

The Voice of Reason

• Do you know that France says Thatcher threatened to use nuclear weapons on Buenos Aires? Isnt even thinking that a crime itself?

And do you really want this hostile relation forever? Lawrow from Russia said in Interview that UK stole the Malvinas from us like they tried steal Ukraine from Russia.

I dont like Russia but getting Argentina into BRICS is their big goal and they use this.

• Isnt even thinking that a crime itself?

Thought crimes...

Thats a bit science fiction.

No, thinking something is not a crime - yet.

And do you really want this hostile relation forever?

I don’t think your average Brit is actually that bothered. It’s not like they will ever visit, not many do. It’s a hell of a job getting there and even if that was fixed there is nothing there.

• Thought crimes...

Thats a bit science fiction.

No, thinking something is not a crime - yet.

In my opinion it is. The UK transported nuclear weapons to south atlantic and France later said they planned to destroy Buenos Aires in case they would lose the war. If that its true it would have been a crime larger than anything in mankinds history. Its also something that worries when we imagine how deep a civilized nation can fall to even think about that.

It would mean 10 million people die within minutes. Many more would die later and honestly i cant imagine how out country could even live on with that.

What i find bit disappointing is that nobody here really tries to understand and brings up own idea how solve it.

• As I have told you I am a Falklands veteran but I gave never heard rumour or otherwise about anything nuclear. Don't get confused between the presence of a nuclear submarine and the use of nuclear bombs. We were at war and considering you entered sovereign British territory Argentina should be thankful that Buenos Aires was not bombed.

My god man you invade another countries land then cried when the Belgrano was sunk, what did you expect us to do?

Even the Captain of the Belgrano accepted that we were more than entitled to do so.

But Pedro you've come here and so far all you have expressed is that Argentina get some say over the islands, by what right? Be as disappointed as you want to be, you bring something here important to you not to us.

• The UK transported nuclear weapons to south atlantic and France later said they planned to destroy Buenos Aires in case they would lose the war.

Got any links covering this? It sounds far fetched.

• Got any links covering this? It sounds far fetched.

UK deployed 31 nuclear weapons during Falklands war
    British warships deployed to the South Atlantic after Argentina’s invasion of the Falkland Islands in 1982 were armed with dozens of nuclear depth charges.
    declassifieduk.org

It was big news here and people were shocked because its so crazy. In the end one has to ask, if the UK would really have decided to destroy a world city with 10 million people because the Malvinas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!