Should free prescriptions end for the over 60s?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • personally speaking as someone who's over 60 himself, I think that free prescriptions should only apply for those with long term medical conditions and anyone, regardless of their age, who fall beneath a certain income. People like myself who are in full-time employment and have been fortunate enough to be in relatively good health so rarely ever have need to see a GP could /should contribute something on those odd occasions we might need a prescription. A cap on the number you might need to pay for per year before qualifying for free ones might be something they could consider, but I'd imagine a system that could effectively monitor that would come at a huge cost, so probably wouldn't save them anything.

• https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/326/…debated-by-mps/

MPs are debating today whether free prescriptions for the over 60s should end. What do you think?

I think there should be safeguards for those who are unwell with serious illness', but as long as someone is in work, then I think they should pay.

Having paid all my dues for 50 years some of which went towards the money pit called the NHS, as my wife has she will need medication for the rest of her life , I hope they leave things as they are.

• I agree that free prescriptions should be given as now to those with long term health issues, but other than that, they should be given only to old age pensioners. The reason for that is they cannot afford to pay for prescriptions from their meagre pensions and would not seek medical advice or collect any medicine required, which would make their condition worsen, costing more to treat it.

If the electorate want the system on prescriptions to stay as it is, they need to come to terms that it will cost the taxpayer more.

I do feel very uneasy that we are the sixth richest country in the world and yet cannot afford to maintain the NHS or deliver free dental treatment for our people. I think the money should be found, but we need to trim drastically the number of managers in NHS England and stop unnecessary government expenditure in all areas of government.

• I agree that free prescriptions should be given as now to those with long term health issues, but other than that, they should be given only to old age pensioners. The reason for that is they cannot afford to pay for prescriptions from their meagre pensions and would not seek medical advice or collect any medicine required, which would make their condition worsen, costing more to treat it.

If the electorate want the system on prescriptions to stay as it is, they need to come to terms that it will cost the taxpayer more.

I do feel very uneasy that we are the sixth richest country in the world and yet cannot afford to maintain the NHS or deliver free dental treatment for our people. I think the money should be found, but we need to trim drastically the number of managers in NHS England and stop unnecessary government expenditure in all areas of government.

The NHS has been badly run and organised for years , it waste so much money every day

• I get the impression that in England where we pay prescription charges, those that pay are in many instances paying over the top and the excess cost is covering the free stuff given to others. Maybe if we all paid a little bit the costs to everyone would come down. If every item to everyone was say £3.50 wouldn't that be fair?

If you are on a permanent regime of meds that should still be on an exemption of a single fixed fee covering a time period. But I suspect that free prescriptions are too easily available and most people could afford £3.50 for a single item for the occasional visit that most make to a GP.

As for over 60's getting free why not. The chances are that you will have already made 40+ years of NI contributions by this time and paid for goodness knows how many boob jobs and sex changes for freeloaders with your contributions. So why not be entitled to free prescriptions - you will have earned it.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• If you are on a permanent regime of meds that should still be on an exemption of a single fixed fee covering a time period. But I suspect that free prescriptions are too easily available and most people could afford £3.50 for a single item for the occasional visit that most make to a GP.

£9.35 fora single item

• Most people take multiple medications when they get older, so paying for prescriptions on a pension would be beyond your means.

• £9.35 fora single item

That's correct TB - but if the prescription charge was only £3.50 (for example) and applied to everyone (except for those with a pre payment exemption) it would be fairer and more affordable for more people and there would probably be more cash taken as a result.

But as you say currently the prescription charge is over £9.00 - but how many don't pay anything at all currently that could afford £3.50 - less than the cost of a refill for a vape.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Many pensioners have prescriptions with multiple medications on them, so that would be very expensive on a limited income.

However, I agree with you that everyone should pay provided there was an exemption for those who needed regular multiple prescriptions. So pensioners would always pay unless they fell into that category.

• I think everyone should have free prescriptions no matter who they are or what age they are as long as your a UK citizen born and bred. As for anyone else over here charge them a small fortune, no.....on second thoughts, charge them the full whack.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!