Why is Lineker untouchable.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • A link for the unaware would be helpful, so here is one: (and I'll place this in the culture community where all the "fun" stuff goes)

Gary Lineker says he will 'keep speaking for those with no voice' after asylum row
    The Match of the Day host was criticised for tweets he posted about the government's new asylum plan.
    www.bbc.co.uk

I am going to say something surprising here and I was persuaded by something said either on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday or one of the other talk programmes and it was this. We are in the cancel culture age, where those on the Left cancel everyone they don't like. So, if the same is done to Linnekar, that is no different and we should rise above it and I agree.

So, I don't think he should be sacked. I don't like him. I don't agree with him, but he doesn't work in news and should be allowed to express whatever views he wants, however vulgar.

• If he wants to offer an opinion I'm Ok with that. It's not like he's doing so halfway through Match of the Day or something.

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

There's higher profile characters within the game (Rashford for one) who is more than happy to express an opinion on things. I don't see anyone demanding Man Utd gag or sack him for it....what's the difference?

• He broke the rules ..... Why is he not being sacked. ...The BBC needs to tighten up....

He is in breach of his contract, but would the BBC really sack someone so high profile over something like this?

• He is in breach of his contract, but would the BBC really sack someone so high profile over something like this?

It would help the BBC balance the books if they don't have to fork out for Lineker's enormous salary. ;)

The Voice of Reason

• just give him a hiding.

His opinion unfortunately gets airtime where ours doesn't just by being him.

A few slaps, stfu off you go, next time we break something. Leniency at its best 🤣🤣🤣

Middle age is when your old classmates are so grey and wrinkled and bald they don't recognise you.

• I've never thought Lineker was any good as a pundit on TV.. I've no idea if he was any good as a player BUT he should have stuck to his club in an administrative capacity.

IMHO his earnings are excessive compared to his ability.

He has insulted the Braverman family with Nazi comments even though Mr Braverman is Jewish.

Lineker has gone too far and if he was any kind of decent man he would apologise and resign from the BBC.. But then he has no decency so the BBC will have to dispense with his services.

The Voice of Reason

• I don't like Lineker because he is a left wing mouth piece, but the point is here, does the BBC have the right to stipulate what he can and cannot say on his own personal time?

• I've no idea if he was any good as a player BUT he should have stuck to his club in an administrative capacity.

He was one of the finest in his day. He has a unique and possibly unmatchable record as the only professional player to go his entire career without getting a yellow card. He had a golden boot in the World Cup for most goals scored and one of the first English players to play for foreign clubs. He was pretty good as a player.

A friend of mine met him once after his retirement when he was just starting his pundit career. Apparently he was, and I assume remains, a totally insufferable twat. It just goes to show you can’t have it all.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I don't like Lineker because he is a left wing mouth piece, but the point is here, does the BBC have the right to stipulate what he can and cannot say on his own personal time?

The answer seemingly is yes, he has as far I have read already signed a revised terms of service some time ago. Although the code fir employees other than journalists is less strict.

The BBC have said that as high profile household names, those names people associated with the corporation and as such their posts do also. He has fallen foul before and there was the slagging off of Qatar live on air before the world Cup over workers rights, exploitation and lgbt attendance. Even commenting on the foreign secretary's advice to the lbgt community to respect Qatar, where he said "don't do anything gay".

He has become a prat in last few years, time he learned the meaning of stfu.

Middle age is when your old classmates are so grey and wrinkled and bald they don't recognise you.

• If he wants to offer an opinion I'm Ok with that. It's not like he's doing so halfway through Match of the Day or something.

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

There's higher profile characters within the game (Rashford for one) who is more than happy to express an opinion on things. I don't see anyone demanding Man Utd gag or sack him for it....what's the difference?

Cancel culture, As you say at was a tweet , not on MOTD

He’s entitled to an opinion

• The answer seemingly is yes, he has as far I have read already signed a revised terms of service some time ago. Although the code fir employees other than journalists is less strict.

The BBC have said that as high profile household names, those names people associated with the corporation and as such their posts do also. He has fallen foul before and there was the slagging off of Qatar live on air before the world Cup over workers rights, exploitation and lgbt attendance. Even commenting on the foreign secretary's advice to the lbgt community to respect Qatar, where he said "don't do anything gay".

He has become a prat in last few years, time he learned the meaning of stfu.

I've no problem with going down the breach of contract route, but because the issue is one of free speech, that makes it so sensitive.

Who else should these rules apply to at the BBC? Actors? Musicians? etc etc Where does it end?

If Lineker is sacked over breach of contract, then the BBC must be 100% sure that they implement the same rules to everyone under similar restrictions in their contracts.

• I've never thought Lineker was any good as a pundit on TV.. I've no idea if he was any good as a player BUT he should have stuck to his club in an administrative capacity.

IMHO his earnings are excessive compared to his ability.

He has insulted the Braverman family with Nazi comments even though Mr Braverman is Jewish.

Lineker has gone too far and if he was any kind of decent man he would apologise and resign from the BBC.. But then he has no decency so the BBC will have to dispense with his services.

He was a brilliant striker 80 caps & 48 goals for England

He didn’t insult Braverman , he said the language used was like that of Nazi Germany

It was a tweet, nothing to do with the BBC

Funny how people like you are anti woke but all on board with cancelling anyone who’s opinion you don’t like

• I've no problem with going down the breach of contract route, but because the issue is one of free speech, that makes it so sensitive.

Who else should these rules apply to at the BBC? Actors? Musicians? etc etc Where does it end?

If Lineker is sacked over breach of contract, then the BBC must be 100% sure that they implement the same rules to everyone under similar restrictions in their contracts.

From what I have read others within the BBC have written criticising him, one chap had to apologise as having at go within the BBC is against their code of conduct.

He is a freelance sports presenter, paid about £1.3m pa and is apparently well thought of. He has stepped back whilst a discussion takes place around his SM posts, what is acceptable and what is not. Bravermans husband is apparently Jewish so once people become offended it starts to make the BBC twitchy.

This one has become very political, but by virtue of who he is he gets an audience you and I don't get. These highly paid morons need to understand they aren't above censorship.

• He was a brilliant striker 80 caps & 48 goals for England

He didn’t insult Braverman , he said the language used was like that of Nazi Germany

It was a tweet, nothing to do with the BBC

Funny how people like you are anti woke but all on board with cancelling anyone who’s opinion you don’t like

Debating is not a contact sport. It should be possible to express opinions and be challenged regardless of your point of view. The strength of your argument will win the day. That is how things are supposed to work.

However the leftist takeover of media in all its forms has perverted the idea that the strength of your argument wins the day. It’s all about supporting the current thing, getting on message, keeping with the trends. That is where we are.

Who would’ve thought that defining a woman as an adult human female would get you banned? Well that’s the leftists subverting our norms. There are plenty of other examples I don’t need to elaborate more.

One of the leftists standard debating strategies is to label, brand and smear anyone who questions their arguments. Nazi is a vastly overused pejorative along with far right. How often do leftists come on here and start hurling insults. Why do they do that? Simply because they cannot substantiate what they say, the facts of the matter are not on their side. Their brainwashing runs into the buffers of logic and reason. Despite the reality they cannot change their opinion so in their world those that oppose them are not simply offering alternative points of view, they are causing gross offence, harm and must be Nazis.

Lineker is just another sad example of someone with too big a platform and too small a brain and intellect.

Should he be banned? No. But this is the game they invented so the answer has to be yes until he learns to shut the fuck up.

Stick to presenting football Gary, keep your twisted political beliefs to yourself.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• He tweeted: "This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s, and I'm out of order?"

According to the Sun this is the tweet

There is no personal attack on Bravermen or her Jewish husband

He expressed an opinion, it was in no way connected to anything he does as an BBC presenter

You might not agree with him but you either believe in censorship or you don’t. ?

In my view the whole cancel culture is exaggerated, I noticed a couple of articles which went along the lines of “viewers outraged as so & so called Sam Smith he instead of they “

How many viewers were there ? 1 ,2 or perhaps 0

We can be certain that the vast majority of viewers either didn’t notice or didn’t care yet the media made it into big news

• The BBC have in the past failed to sack obnoxious people like Saville and Harris and have been criticised strongly for their lack of action. And quite rightly so.

Now that they are being proactive in the case of Lineker, the BBC are being criticised by the loony left.

Now according to today's news a few other far left overpaid presenters are refusing to do their job. IMHO this is the opportunity for the BBC to clear out the dead wood and offer those jobs to keen up and coming presenters who will be more acceptable to the population of the UK.

The Voice of Reason

• AS,TR

On your posts you are both to some extent correct. I am not sure I can in all honesty put forward a reasonable case for his censorship.

Here goes, we call a news conference about immigration, in room 1 Canny Lad, in room 2 Gary Lineker. By virtue of his celebrity status it is unlikely the media will come to me, even though I may be an expert in the field (I'm not lol).

He is employed by the nations main media outlet in a non journalism role and is seen as the face of BBC sports. Yes he has personal opinions but when he posts those opinions he does impact the BBC because its what people say right off, BBC presenter.

A footballer on a night out seen smoking will get disciplined by his club. It could be argued that is a personal act which if it doesn't affect his game has FA to do with anyone. Except he is paid thousands per week and these days those in such positions are seen as ambassadors for their organisation.

A good old court ruling is needed to enable the separation between lives and livelihoods. But if they want that personal freedoms back, they're gonba get paid like the rest of society. Kiss bye bye mansions and masserati's.

• You know full well Lineker is comparing the government to the nazis, even if he did not use the word nazi. The people in power in 1930s Germany were the nazis, so the inference is clear.

Whatis your view on contracts, TB? Should contracts be enforced and if not, then why have contracts in the first place?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!