Amazon to launch Lionsgate stuff on MGM+ in Europe

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2023/04/06/amazon-strikes-lionsgate-pact-ahead-of-relaunching-mgm-streamer-in-europe/

It's not clear as yet what is going to happen in the UK with Lionsgate's content. There is an Amazon "channel" called MGM+, but I am not aware of a standalone streaming service. There is a streamer called Lionsgate+ (formerly Starz), but it's not widely available. I have it on my fire tv sticks, but not on Sky stream, but anyway...unless I am missing something, isn't this a bit of con by Amazon?

Amazon are already raising their prices for their Prime streamer and now we may get enough streamer to pay for, but that is what Prime is for, isn't it? Apart from a bried period last year when Amazon took full control of MGM and put a lot of ther stuff like James Bond on prime, the MGM stuff has been shunted over to the MGM branded channel and I assume this is what will happen with the Lionsgate stuff too.

This move by Amazon to grab Lionsgate's content could be a prelude to a full takeover, and this may be testing the water. But whether they actually buy Lionsgate or not, Amazon now de-facto controls Lionsgate with this deal, in my view.

• Lionsgate confirms UK departure date
    Lionsgate has confirmed when it will pull its streaming service from the UK as part of its withdrawal from international markets.
    www.broadbandtvnews.com

Lionsgate didn’t put much new stuff on here so I’m not surprised they decided to close it. I had already decided to cancel my subscription when Virgin announced they would no longer carry the streamer after the end of this month.

• What they did have was superb though, but there's just too many streamers at the moment. Now, they'll be one less!

Looks like it will be Amazon where Lionsgate content will be.

• What they did have was superb though, but there's just too many streamers at the moment. Now, they'll be one less!

Looks like it will be Amazon where Lionsgate content will be.

Looks like it won't!

Another streamer.....:(

Things are getting really silly and Amazon takes the top silly spot with having three separate streamers now. Why couldn't they just put the Lionsgate/Starz stuff on Prime? There's only so much money they can make out of old Bond films.

• Looks like it won't!

Another streamer.....:(

Things are getting really silly and Amazon takes the top silly spot with having three separate streamers now. Why couldn't they just put the Lionsgate/Starz stuff on Prime? There's only so much money they can make out of old Bond films.

Ah, but you were half right. It’s only on the Amazon channels (at least initially)

• Amazon should've just added a premium tier onto the existing prime service and call it Prime + or something similar. If one were to go down the conspiracy theory road and I will, it looks like Prime is being downgraded in favour of MGM+.

Next, MGM+ with ads tier. Then Prime++ with 8k and so it goes on.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!