Sunak vs Starmer: Who has the best plan for the country?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • As we approach the next General Election, which must be held by January 2025, we need to start thinking seriously about which of the two main parties would be better ruling this country to help us to emerge from our present difficult situation. For various reasons, we have a huge debt to address and everything seems to be broken.

How we got here is for another thread - we are where we are. The question now is which Leaderis best able to help us get out of it - Sunak or Starmer?

Let’s start with Starmer and his ‘plan’ to mend the NHS. Does Starmer even have a clue? I don’t doubt that he has an aspiration, but does he have a plan? It doesn’t look like it.

Keir Starmer wants to reform the NHS – but doesn't seem to know how he's going to pay for it
    The speech – as has become commonplace with Starmer – was heavy on soundbites, light on detail
    inews.co.uk
  • One thing we do know is that our security is in better hands with Sunak. Like his predecessors, he has plenty of support for President Zelenskyy, recognising the importance of protecting his country against Russian expansionism, which will not subside without pushback from the West.

I am concerned that Starmer would prefer to cut back on support for Ukraine and even reign back our defence expenditure to bail out our social services, including the NHS.

What he says about these matters before the election may give an indication as to whether this fear has any basis in reality.

Rishi Sunak tells President Zelensky UK support for Ukraine will ‘never waver’
    Mr Sunak said he is ‘delighted the G7 has agreed on the importance of giving the advanced military equipment needed to win this war'.
    metro.co.uk
  • 'Wake up, it's not the 1980s anymore!' Starmer tells Sunak in bitter clash
    The Labour leader urged the Government to do more to boost UK manufacturing, telling the Prime Minister: "We can't afford to be stuck in the changing rooms…
    www.mirror.co.uk

Fighting talk from Starmer - I like it. But does he have any clue about what needs to be done to bring this about and how to fund initiatives sensibly?

I’m not convinced, but I’d like to hear more.

• Nothing more than bullet points at the moment. I can’t wait to see how he plans to implement these ideas.

“Saving the NHS is not just about the money”. Well, yes, so what will he do to rescue it? I don’t think he has a clue.

• Well, yes, so what will he do to rescue it?

The NHS needs rescuing?

Surely returning it to the last known good configuration would do the trick??

Maybe start by:

• Disbanding the NHS Trust System
    • Remove Left Wing activists from key roles in the NHS
    • Get somebody who knows what value for money is to take control of purchasing
    • Get rid of over seas recruitment
    • Get rid of the requirement for degree education for nurses
    • Get rid of diversity and inclusivity advisors
    • Stop doing plastic surgery and transgender surgery on the NHS
    • Reduce the number of treatments to those that save lives or eradicate physic suffering only

I'm sure others can add to the list...

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• The NHS needs rescuing?

Surely returning it to the last known good configuration would do the trick??

Maybe start by:

• Disbanding the NHS Trust System
    • Remove Left Wing activists from key roles in the NHS
    • Get somebody who knows what value for money is to take control of purchasing
    • Get rid of over seas recruitment
    • Get rid of the requirement for degree education for nurses
    • Get rid of diversity and inclusivity advisors
    • Stop doing plastic surgery and transgender surgery on the NHS
    • Reduce the number of treatments to those that save lives or eradicate physic suffering only

I'm sure others can add to the list...

There's at least one I'd remove from it quite frankly.

There's nothing wrong with an element of over seas recruitment. The ICU at our local hospital would have been totally screwed during the pandemic if not for all the foreign nurses. They barely coped even with them in the rank. Even if you stopped any of our nurses from ever taking their skillsets abroad, leaving to go into the private sector or forcing people into the profession in the first place, there's always going to be a demand for overseas recruitment.

You advocate banning plastic surgery...how are you defining that?

• You advocate banning plastic surgery...how are you defining that?

Anything of a purely vanity nature such as breast enlargement or nose jobs. Obviously anything to do with accident repair isn’t elective so should continue

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Anything of a purely vanity nature such as breast enlargement or nose jobs. Obviously anything to do with accident repair isn’t elective so should continue

As much as I agree with that sentiment (along with fertility treatments) I think it's here to stay because they lump it under "mental well-being" these days and no-one is going to go out on a limb and rock that boat

• As much as I agree with that sentiment (along with fertility treatments) I think it's here to stay because they lump it under "mental well-being" these days and no-one is going to go out on a limb and rock that boat

Ah yes, the old Mental Health catch all bollocks.

Maybe that gravy train needs to be brought to a halt as well.

I’m not decrying people who have genuine mental issues here. Just challenging the anxiety generation. Time to learn resilience and toughen up people, rather than reaching for the Xanax.

Big pharma won’t like that.

• https://www.cityam.com/labour-may-as-…-oil-ban-plans/

Starmer is clearly wedded to the idea of clean energy, but he doesn’t appear to have a strategy for keeping the lights on while the transition takes place.

No different to me being wedded to the idea of helping out friends and family if I win big on the Euromillions lottery. Sounds great in principle - just the small matter of those sodding pingpong balls always having the wrong numbers printed on them. :)

• Well, Starmer keeps saying that the government’s plan to stop illegal immigrants won’t work - and yet 90% of Albanian crossings have been prevented since we cut a deal to send illegal Albanian immigrants back to their own country. That seems proof to me that taking away the prospect of being able to settle here will stop most of them from making the dangerous crossing in the first place.

It all adds up to my mind.

Two new barges to house migrants announced
    Rishi Sunak said the numbers of people crossing the Channel in small boats is down by around a fifth since last year.
    www.bbc.co.uk

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!