New Forum List With Live Updates in WoltLab Suite 6.0

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • As mentioned last year, the next major release of this site's software will be released later this year and the biggest change you will notice is the on the home page aka the forum list page.

The new software introduces live updates to the forum list, so that rather than having to keep pressing refresh to see if anything new has been posted, it will appear automatically! Also, the layout has been revised and the forum list page will now display two threads for each forum and should be able to display longer thread titles in most cases too rather than the current truncated titles.

If you want to read about the details, the software developer has published their first blog article about the new software version and you'll be able to see how the forum list will look and work here:

New Features in WoltLab Suite 6.0: New Forum List With Live Updates - WoltLab®
    This blog article starts our series of articles in which we would like to present the most important new features and improvements in WoltLab Suite 6.0 in more…
    www.woltlab.com

I'll post new updates here, as and when I get them.

• Please be aware that the site will be offline on Wednesday 6th December sometime between 11am and 6pm, as the site is upgraded to the latest version of the software, as mentioned in my first post here.

The look of the home page will change once the upgrade has happened and I may need to make adjustments over coming weeks to tweak things, but we'll get the software upgrade out-of-the-way first before I start destroying improving things.

• Software update done.:!:

As per my first post here, the home page will now update automatically when new posts appear in the various forums, so no need to keep pressing refresh!

The other major change is with the editor, where we type our posts. This has been changed and no need to press return twice to get to a new paragraph, only one press of return is needed now

Any queries/comments, let me know here.

• Not a fan of the new look H.

I thought my laptop was playing up and gone into "Classic" Mode but its the update isn't it?

Also I don't like the hard return giving you a double space....

It's a no from me I'm afraid :thumbdown:

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I'm not enthused by it either, Armitage. I'm missing the orange already.

I don't mind the hard return, just need to get used to it.

Unfortunately, you don't get an option whether you can refuse the update or not. You just have to have it.

• I'm not enthused by it either, Armitage. I'm missing the orange already.

I don't mind the hard return, just need to get used to it.

Unfortunately, you don't get an option whether you can refuse the update or not. You just have to have it.

The unique look of Forum Box has been ruined by this update. I know that you should always take the update but what were they thinking re: appearance? <X

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• They where thinking the same as everyone else and developers have egos to fill. Updates are not always a positive move and they don't always necessarily improve security although the official line bangs on about keeping up to date being good for security. One can always revert back if they dislike anything but being cloud based and not under ones own control there is no choice apart from bowing to your masters and begging them.

• The unique look of Forum Box has been ruined by this update. I know that you should always take the update but what were they thinking re: appearance? <X

It was one of the reasons why I chose the software originally and may be one of the reasons why it will get ditched in the future. Some of the orange is back, but I can't change anything further. I wanted the forum names and the "last posts" bit on the home page changed back to the orange text, but been told I can't do that.

Unfortunately, my changes are only temporary. I have been told that future updates will remove all the orange text permanently (like what happened in the notifications/conversations areas with the previous update) and it will only be in black. The only exception being links posted within threads.

• The new look is crap. You can feed that back to Wolt Lab.

It is disjointed, incoherent and missing important features that we came to rely on.

It does things we don’t want or need and stopped doing things we used.

It looks a bit like a forum from 15 years ago now. That is not a compliment.

• It looks a bit like a forum from 15 years ago now. That is not a compliment.

Functionality along with usability was much better on forums 15 years ago. Sadly what they have done is to follow modern design trends. Web Designers have to constantly fiddle as that's what keeps them employed and the simplest things to change and keep their egos going is design changes. They never follow the principle of 'if something is not broke don't try to fix it' ;)

It was one of the reasons why I chose the software originally and may be one of the reasons why it will get ditched in the future. Some of the orange is back, but I can't change anything further. I wanted the forum names and the "last posts" bit on the home page changed back to the orange text, but been told I can't do that.

It's a load of old bollox that a colour can't be changed as it's only a snippet of CSS code. It's never a good idea to have someone else in control.

All one needs is some web hosting space of ones choice anywhere in the world and a domain name. Most web hosting providers will even include free open source forum software choices already installed and ready to use on the server via the cPanel or whatever admin interface they provide. You also get control over all the email and email addresses as the mail server is part of the web hosting space. Personally I think the best forum software today is either Discourse or XenForu but these are commercial softwares.

All one has to do is install ones preferred software onto the server over ftp via the admin panel, attach the domain name to it (once released from previous provider) and then wait for it to propergate around the worlds DNS servers and then your up and running. If one wishes they can customise the appearance of the website / forum software but that requires some knowlege of HTML and CSS.

There's a bit more to it than that so I suggest you read up on things.

The biggest issue now is transferring the database content from the current platform to a new platform. Are there compatibility issues? Will WoltLab dig their heals in and offer no help at all or make things difficult as your potentially leaving them? There's also the issue of the current domain name. Do you own the domain or is that part of the package? This is all stuff to think about. You could be opening up a can of worms.

The thing is even if you take control and use another forum software (non cloud based) where you have control over style changes all these software developers bring out updates that breaks things that then need fixing but it's your choice whether you update or not. Now Im going to go against the grain here and say that one of the worst things anyone can do is to keep constantly updating things. Yes security updates are important but one should pick and choose what is of more or lessor importance or even relevant to them and style / interface changes are a far cry from any importance at all but sadly the majority of the time the two go hand in hand.

Security updates along with scare tactics are often used as the carrot on the string to push people forward.....update software which eventually requires new hardware to run on, update hardware to be able to run the latest software, keep updating software until new hardware is required again. Welcome to the merry go round driven by big tech for capitalistic and political reasons that are not always on our side and works against us.

• It's a load of old bollox that a colour can't be changed as it's only a snippet of CSS code. It's never a good idea to have someone else in control.

I know and I made my case and as you can see now, I've just got the line of code I was asking for last week.

Better late, than never.

As regards to your other points, the site has gone through several iterations before you came and was originally self-hosted. But most of the premium forum software companies are pushing their cloud services as these are the only ones that genuinely offer new features and keep up to date with stuff, which is why I switched to their cloud service.

• I can cope with the Forum as it is .... The only change I would like to see is a bolt on to correct the fact that " Own Posts " are no longer viewable under the Forums header.

The Voice of Reason

• I spoke to the person who made that plugin mike, but he is no longer making it anymore for the newer versions of the software.

You can still access your own posts by looking under your avatar pic and clicking on Posts.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!