When will be acting quicker to save children from monster parents?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Alfie Steele: The sports-mad boy killed by brutal punishments
    Nine-year-old Alfie Steele died at the hands of his mother and her partner after years of abuse.
    www.bbc.co.uk

I am sickened by the number of cases we hear of monster parents meting out the harshest punishments on their children and getting away with it until their little bodies can endure no more.

I fully understand that social services have been accused of interfering in family business, but in case after case of murdered children, we hear of all the warnings and signs that social services have been told about or already know about, and they fail to take action.

There is something seriously going wrong in this area and we need to put it right.

There is plenty to go into manifestos for the next election that many people would sign up to, and this is one of them. But will the politicians do that, and if they did, would they deliver?

I am increasingly disturbed and depressed at how we allow these criminals to get away with it and how all of our public services are breaking down. Even more worrying is that Labour would only make things worse. They probably view any action along these lines to be discrimination against working people.

• i've come across abused kids from my time in the taxi business. Obviously, I can't speak for all of them but if my observation is common place then one of the biggest problem when it comes to intervening is that the kids very rarely if ever spill the beans on their abusive parents. i've even known some who'd lose their tempers with anyone who said a bad word about their abusers, so identifying it ain't easy to begin with.

CL has probably witnessed a shed load more of it than I have. Would be interesting to know if he's made that same observation.

• I get that, but my point is that in all these child murder cases, there were ample signs that bad things were happening and nobody did much about it. How can that happen?

• I get that, but my point is that in all these child murder cases, there were ample signs that bad things were happening and nobody did much about it. How can that happen?

It happens because extended families are reluctant to intervene when they see their family member abusing and hurting children.. Years ago the perpetrator would be taken aside and have the shit kicked out of them by their extended family and would stop the abuse right away..

Too much Wokery nowadays, stops natural justice..

The Voice of Reason

• That's not what is happening. Relatives raise concerns with social services time and again, but they fail to act. Neighbours report what they are seeing and hearing, but Social Services fail to act.

Case after case this happens but they don't learn.

• That's not what ishappening. Relatives raise concerns with social services time and again, but they fail to act. Neighbours report what they are seeing and hearing, but Social Services fail to act.

Case after case this happens but they don't learn.

OB .... Why pass the problem on to an organisation that cannot respond and wash their hands of it. . Those Family members and Neighbours should get off their backsides and act. Bullies are cowards and if they see that they are going to suffer at the hands of decent people, they will stop real quick..

The Voice of Reason

• OB .... Why pass the problem on to an organisation that cannot respond and wash their hands of it. . Those Family members and Neighbours should get off their backsides and act. Bullies are cowards and if they see that they are going to suffer at the hands of decent people, they will stop real quick..

Yes, and then the police get involved and prosecute you for harassment.

You know it can’t work like that. We shouldn’t be putting up with these dreadful departments that can’t cope - we should be exposing and reforming them.

• Police try and stay out of Domestic Abuse if they can , Social Services are the ones that have the power to take away children at serious risk from adults , troubles is the Courts if parents ask for them to be returned especially if the Mother do often make an order to return them, its a Catch 22 situation.

• OB I think it's a simple case of cut backs in social services and far to much bureaucracy and back and forth throwing between departments and who's problem is it to deal with and who's funding is going to get spent on it. Just look at the way that Police officers have had to become more like social workers in recent years. Same with teachers in schools. It's not their job to be dealing with it.

• OB I think it's a simple case of cut backs in social services and far to much bureaucracy and back and forth throwing between departments and who's problem is it to deal with and who's funding is going to get spent on it. Just look at the way that Police officers have had to become more like social workers in recent years. Same with teachers in schools. It's not their job to be dealing with it.

You’re not wrong, Norra.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!