Is this a very disturbing form of cancel culture?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/…n%20Number%2010.

Is this a very disturbing form of cancel culture?

A man for who no formal allegation has been made against has now become a victim to the court of public opinion. His name tarnished for what, maybe she was groped, but if that is the case then why go to the media and not the police. Is because as another tory and a mayoral candidate she hopes that thus will end his campaign before it has effectively begun?

Regardless of whether she is believed is irrelevant imho. This it seems has becoming a trend that I believe we should legislate to protect people from,by removing their ability to make an allegation having first gone through the media/social media route. Before anyone cries that I want to prevent the truth from coming out, that couldn't be further from the truth in fact quite the opposite.

There are 3 methods off the top of my head available to wronged people having undergone a criminal assault, sexual or otherwise.

Firstly, the obvious being the Police.

Secondly, the employer if you are both employed at the place of alleged assault, school/College/University head or your direct manager.

Thirdly, a civil proceedings but I suggest that the above 2 points should be considered/explored/exhausted first.

What cannot be right or even allowed to happen us what is happening in this instance. It should be assumed in law that a person who undertakes the route highlighted above is merely out to destroy a person's reputation or employability.

Politicians are not a group that I generally feel thats needs protection, but I have accepted that they are very different group in that their job effectively requires their ability to persuade people (public) of their suitability to represent then at whatever level that may be. This type of action paints the blackest of pictures of a persons character and in a time where political wrongdoing is still fresh in people's minds, the media (incl social media) can bea very powerful tool hence my thoughts above.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• It’s possible to send women who make false claims of rape to jail

Woman jailed over false rape claims - BBC News
    The judge said Eleanor Williams' claims she was trafficked by an Asian gang were "complete fiction".
    www.bbc.co.uk

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• It’s possible to send women who make false claims of rape to jail

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-64950862.amp

It may be possible, but you have to somehow prove that you did not commit the offence first. It is difficult to prove a negative, particularly when a lot of time has passed.

Basically, unless you have a positive sighting that proves you were elsewhere at the time of the alleged offence, you’re stuffed.

• It may be possible, but you have to somehow prove that you did not commit the offence first.

Incorrect OB. The law is required to prove you did commit the offence, beyond reasonable doubt.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Incorrect OB. The law is required to prove you did commit the offence, beyond reasonable doubt.

Yes no matter what the allegation is against you you are innocent until proven guilty, and as you say there have been a number of cases where women have been convicted of false rape claims and sent to Prison for a long time for their lies , for up to 10 years .

Rape is a difficult to prove on many occasions it often comes down to which person the Jury believes the accused person or the alleged victim especially when they do not report it until a long time even years afterwards.

There has been calls by pressure groups to lower the level of evidence thresholds in rape cases to obtain a better chance to prove rape, that is a very slippery slope IMO.

• Incorrect OB. The law is required to prove you did commit the offence, beyond reasonable doubt.

The law yes mate, but not the court of public opinion.

This guy has no removed himself from the race for London Mayor and that as she has apparently stated was her aim.

My point is clearly missed here, she had no intention of making a complaint in a court of law it needs to be proven beyond reasonable doubt but not in the court of public perception.

My point was it should be made an offence to do what she has done. Had he shagged her filmed it and posted it on the Web he would be rightly prosecuted. But she can make an allegation of something that happens 10 yrs ago that destroys his chances of becoming mayor with no recourse and nothing happens, sorry guys that's fucking twisted.

• The law yes mate, but not the court of public opinion.

This guy has no removed himself from the race for London Mayor and that as she has apparently stated was her aim.

My point is clearly missed here, she had no intention of making a complaint in a court of law it needs to be proven beyond reasonable doubt but not in the court of public perception.

My point was it should be made an offence to do what she has done. Had he shagged her filmed it and posted it on the Web he would be rightly prosecuted. But she can make an allegation of something that happens 10 yrs ago that destroys his chances of becoming mayor with no recourse and nothing happens, sorry guys that's fucking twisted.

Maybe he did exactly as she claimed?

• The law yes mate, but not the court of public opinion.

I agree once it his the press many assume guilt especially if they don't like the person who the allegation is aimed at the more prominent the allegation is made against .

Why did she wait so long to allege he touched her breasts why? what is her motive ?

• I agree once it his the press many assume guilt especially if they don't like the person who the allegation is aimed at the more prominent the allegation is made against .

Why did she wait so long to allege he touched her breasts why? what is her motive ?

Left wing politics are now scraping the bottom of the barrel.. They used to be poor but now they are ridiculous.

The Voice of Reason

• Left wing politics are now scraping the bottom of the barrel.. They used to be poor but now they are ridiculous.

I agree they are still harping on about Boris even those he is no longer is office and Truss slinging as much mud as they can Sunak also Home Sec

I dread them winning the next GE, been there endured it more than once and don't want to endure it again, there is no party of offer that I have much faith in, the Tories are the best out of a sorry bunch to chose from at the moment

• Maybe he did exactly as she claimed?

then take her chances in a court of law, as the old saying goes,

PUT UP OR SHUT UP

she works in media AS and is only all too aware if it's power for good or bad. The problem is do gooders see themselves as good and all those against their opinions as bad.

I suspect it was more about him being a tory than anything else.

• then take her chances in a court of law, as the old saying goes,

PUT UP OR SHUT UP

she works in media AS and is only all too aware if it's power for good or bad. The problem is do gooders see themselves as good and all those against their opinions as bad.

I suspect it was more about him being a tory than anything else.

Maybe you are correct. But her motivation needs to be understood. She has lived with the alleged rape on her for however long She didn’t report it at the time for whatever reason. Those reasons could include not being able to face any additional physical examination, a severe distrust of the police and their methods, or maybe the circumstances in which the alleged rape took place are ambiguous or questionable and won’t necessarily show her in a good light. Who knows??

Anyway as the saying goes hell hath no fury like a woman scorned and revenge is a dish best served cold. So she did his legs in a manner from which he can’t come back unless he sues her for defamation. That would essentially be a rape trial but held to a lower standard of balance of probabilities so he would likely lose.

I know that is what the law says in terms of the man’s guilt. But I was commenting on women who make false claims. Normally, in order to have them prosecuted, the man found not guilty would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he was somewhere else at the time, showing that the woman’s claims were untrue. It becomes less likely over time that a man would even recollect what he was doing that day, so women can feel free to say almost what they like in order to ruin a man’s career.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!