Should politicians be allowed to front topical shows?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Ofcom investigates Jacob Rees-Mogg’s GB News show over Trump coverage
    The regulator will also investigate an episode of Talk TV’s Richard Tice presented by Alex Salmond, which aired on April 2
    www.standard.co.uk

What do you think?

Personally, I think Ofcom should allow it on two conditions - firstly that it should be made clear at the start of the show that the opinions expressed on the show are from a serving party politician, and secondly, that balance is achieved by also having politicians from other political parties doing the same.

I think anything that drives public interest in what is happening around them, the better.

• Absolutely NOT!

If a person is elected to be a MP, that should be their job, not being a tv celebrity.

• Depends on the content I suppose. If it's a political/current affairs program - why not? They spend hours in front of anyone with a camera anyhow.

Not so sure why any broadcaster would want a politician hosting anything other than that. Would think it would drive viewers away rather than attract them. There aren't many that have the charisma to even host a politics program. Dull as ditchwater most of them

Having said that... i'd watch Diane Abbott hosting Mastermind purely for the irony :)

• Depends on the content I suppose. If it's a political/current affairs program - why not? They spend hours in front of anyone with a camera anyhow.

Not so sure why any broadcaster would want a politician hosting anything other than that. Would think it would drive viewers away rather than attract them. There aren't many that have the charisma to even host a politics program. Dull as ditchwater most of them

Having said that... i'd watch Diane Abbott hosting Mastermind purely for the irony :)

I have no problem with an MP going on a show as a guest, but that's completely different to presenting a daily show and getting paid for it, while supposedly meant to be representing their constituents.

Being an invited guest on a show such as Kuensberg or similar political show to be the representative of your party and explain the approach to policy that your party is proposing and to answer relevent questioning about that subject is perfectly fine and indeed should be encouraged. It should also be a proviso of appearing on TV that straight questions receive straight answers rather than skirting around the issue and engaging in whataboutery and slagging off the oppostion.

In short politician appearances on TV should be under strict protocol. They should not be allowed to have a show of their own on TV, radio or the Internet. They should be restricted to party policy only, be announced as a serving politican and treated respectfully. In return they do the job they were elected to do and do not try to cultivate a career outside politics for when they inevitably fall from grace.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• They should not be allowed anything outside of being an MP and that includes i'm celebrity and all the rest of it.

My Sonar is picking up an Echo around here

• It's always good to hear different Politician's views. I don't see anything wrong with a politician of any party fronting programmes about politics. So long as it's done in their own free time.

I agree with Norra, -------- they should not be on celebrity shows.

The Voice of Reason

• They are no different to anyone , they have their strengths weakness, and opinions likes and dislikes , if some did not go on TV shows such as big brother some in the population would not even know who they are, as IMHO many people probably have no interest in politics at all, , many don't even vote

• It's always good to hear different Politician's views. I don't see anything wrong with a politician of any party fronting programmes about politics. So long as it's done in their own free time.

I agree with Norra, -------- they should not be on celebrity shows.

What's wrong is that public broadcasters have a duty to present a balanced position and GB news with its use of the likes of Rees-Mogg is doing anything but. Which of course is their aim.

Bring back Conversations

• Why are you scared of Rees-Mog

I find he speaks. Common sense, never is abusive and comes over like he has researched the subject in hand.

A perfect Christian gentleman.

The Voice of Reason

• What's wrong is that public broadcasters have a duty to present a balanced position and GB news with its use of the likes of Rees-Mogg is doing anything but. Which of course is their aim.

Of course Rees Mogg’s programmes will be biased towards the right. But as long as the channel puts on programmes with politicians from the left, you could say their output is balanced.

Balance does not have to be achieved in every single programme.

• The points is that the programme presenter has much more impact on the viewer than any guests they have on. GB News knows what it's doing as do their presenters like Rees Mogg, Farage, 30p Lee etc and it's nothing to do with presenting a fair and balanced view as OfCom should be requiring.

They banned RT for less bias, we need to see consistency.

Bring back Conversations

• The points is that the programme presenter has much more impact on the viewer than any guests they have on. GB News knows what it's doing as do their presenters like Rees Mogg, Farage, 30p Lee etc and it's nothing to do with presenting a fair and balanced view as OfCom should be requiring.

But RT was a mouthpiece for an enemy of the UK and should have been banned.. GB news is firmly supportive of our country and our place in the world. We need even more media supporting our country and it's values.

The Voice of Reason

Bias really is subjective, it depends where you stand personally to a large degree.

It is always interesting to see both perspectives on the same story. It’s happening right now with the Huw Edwards story.

Is there an unbiased view? Probably yes.

Could any media outlet manage to remain completely neutral today? I don’t think so.

The problem is they bring on guest’s to give opinions, opinions are generally expressions of personal bias. Some media outlets only ever invite guests who have a particular bias one way or the other.

Most media has a tendency toward left leaning politics. You pick on GB News and call it biased. Perhaps it simply offers that alternative perspective that no other media outlet provides?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!