Should politicians be allowed to front topical shows?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • No because that 'Most media has a tendency toward left leaning politics' is a myth and most media does not have high profile politicians as lead presenters like GD News does.

Currently ignoring Echo 10

• No because that 'Most media has a tendency toward left leaning politics' is a myth and most media does not have high profile politicians as lead presenters like GD News does.

No, the BBC puts politicians on comedy shows like have I got news for you. It gives one hour platform shows to politicians on a Sunday morning. It introduces right leaning political figures with derogatory epihets such as "Controversial figure ...." or Brexiteer. It shows just stop oil as peaceful protestors and then either ignores anti Low Traffic Neighbourhood protests completely or badges them as fringe far right anti-climate change protestors. In short they go soft on the things they think are OK even if illegal and go hard on the things that they disagree with even if legal and orderly. That's bias, its left wing and it's real. Once upon a time left wing on TV was the counter culture, the likes of Ben Elton and others from the 80's now left wing is the culture, on TV at least.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• No, the BBC puts politicians on comedy shows like have I got news for you. It gives one hour platform shows to politicians on a Sunday morning. It introduces right leaning political figures with derogatory epihets such as "Controversial figure ...." or Brexiteer. It shows just stop oil as peaceful protestors and then either ignores anti Low Traffic Neighbourhood protests completely or badges them as fringe far right anti-climate change protestors. In short they go soft on the things they think are OK even if illegal and go hard on the things that they disagree with even if legal and orderly. That's bias, its left wing and it's real. Once upon a time left wing on TV was the counter culture, the likes of Ben Elton and others from the 80's now left wing is the culture, on TV at least.

And most definitely the Extreme L/W "Biased Broadcasting Corporation". :thumbup:

The Voice of Reason

• Nah, the BBC presents a balanced plurality of positions. Of course some of those are going to be more left wing than yours but have you not thought it may also be presenting some more right wing than yours too.

Just take that 'either ignores anti Low Traffic Neighbourhood protests completely or badges them as fringe far right anti-climate change protestors' accusation.

Now have the truth which actually shows the BBC presenting the pros and cons equally: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c5q52xdp861t

Currently ignoring Echo 10

• The points is that the programme presenter has much more impact on the viewer than any guests they have on. GB News knows what it's doing as do their presenters like Rees Mogg, Farage, 30p Lee etc and it's nothing to do with presenting a fair and balanced view as OfCom should be requiring.

They banned RT for less bias, we need to see consistency.

I can't stand this American style, talk radio style of television. It's totally alien.

I agree that the presenters should remain impartial and the guests can do what they want.

No because that 'Most media has a tendency toward left leaning politics' is a myth and most media does not have high profile politicians as lead presenters like GD News does.

Here we disagree.

True, that no other outlet that I know of, has a sitting conservative MP as a tv presenter, but most tv presenters on our screens today are very liberal biased.

Edited once, last by Horizon: Merged a post created by Horizon into this post. (July 18, 2023 at 9:35 PM).

• GB News is going downhill....FFS Boris is joining the team. I will have to change channels when he's on because I can't stand his waffling and babbling. You should here the programme trying to convince us that he will be good for the channel. What a load of bollox.

• Boris is another demonstration of GB News much vaunted broad church of viewpoints. I still can’t forgive him for his performance when PM but why not let him present now he is inactive politically. Let the ratings show how popular he is.

My guess is he will not rate as well as Farage.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!