My Recent Experience With the NHS

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Grandpa

I don't doubt what you've been told, I worked in the NHS for nearly 8 years myself and saw it first hand. My point was the nurse doesn't know shit about nhs procurement anymore than I do.

I don't think anyone has mentioned immigration in this thread, so your banging your own drum again. I am also well versed in the NHS both as a service user and previously until just over a year ago as an employee.

A Cathedral of excellence, good practice and wannabe saints it isn't. There are some great people and some assholes. Things they do superbly, others terribly. They are misused, under paid and like all public sector the go to for government pay freezes.

Struggling on food banks, on crap money they ain't, but if you find some that are then I will bare my arse in John Lewis's front window if they aren't up to their eyes in debt. With everything that's gone on in the last year, nurses, junior doctors etc did you really expect a roses in the garden comment from her.

I think the nurses and doctors I spoke to know a little bit more about what’s currently going on in the NHS than you or I. What I expected from them is the truth and I think I got it. The buck as the Americans say has to stop somewhere and as the NHS is a public service, it stops with the politicians. It’s no use blaming the Unions, Labour or Putin, the problem is corruption and sleaze in high places by millionaires using the NHS to make a profit from. Ask Hancock.

• And for the ones who haven’t got private health insurance, or £12,000 available? Throw them to the dogs, right? Typical blinkered Tory view. Would Labour be any better? No, but hopefully they would prevent the 'I'm alright Jack' slide towards the NHS becoming like the US model.

• I don’t argue that private companies are out to make as much profit as possible, but they keep costs low in order to achieve that.

Covid, the ageing population and more immigrants than emigrants are the reasons for the current poor state of the NHS, as well you know. And you know also that it’s NHS England civil servants that run the civil service on a day to day basis, not government ministers.

The NHS has been declining for years, long before the, ‘it’s everybody else’s fault’ excuses came along. In my opinion that’s because it’s being run on a business model. The civil servants get their orders from above and that’s where the sleaze and corruption comes from.

• This post is addressed to the sensible members of this Forum,

Private Medical Care has been available for decades by Doctors working in specialized branches of medicine for the rich the Private Hospitals are not in competition with the NHS, the NHS can and does provide far more care ICU just for one example the best best heart care in London its St Barts who operated on Prince Philip.

When Labour came to power under the slogan 24hours to save the NHS what a LOB very little if anything changed, during the Global Financial Crisis on Labours watch many of those who could afford it to go private actually gave up Private Medical Insurance as many could no longer afford it.

My Mother during that time had waited and waited for seven years for a knee replacement by the NHS in pain and was housebound, no amount of phone calls or visits to the Hospital had any success at all.

The family rightly or wrongly was convinced that because she was in her 70's back then they did not want to operate she would probably Pop Her Clogs it would be a waste of money , she is still with us aged 92 years.

Eventually we lost all patience with the NHS, Mum did not want to go private as she said back then I have paid all my dues for years that is what I paid for to be looked after by the NHS.

We decided enough was enough we contacted the NHS told them we are going private , within 24 hours we had booked an appointment with the same company my wife works for in in the North West, the NHS out of the blue actually agreed to fund her Op back then was about £7,000 if I recall correctly.

She had it done within a couple of weeks and back walking again in seven days

In relation to the £12,000 price tag for Orthopaedic Ops carried out by my wife's Hospital , that is an all inclusive price negotiated by the Medical Insurance Companies with her Private Hospital,

Due to the fall in income as fewer people were able to pay for Medical Insurance, the Insurance Companies have reduced the cost of Medical Insurance drastically, for under £30 a month you can get cover it is a very competitive market, roughly the price of two packet of fags , or four pints of beer

For years the NHS has been sending Patients to Private Hospitals to try and reduce their waiting lists , the bottom line is the NHS cannot cope with the huge demand on it which is growing every week, throwing more money at it will not resolve that all it will do is delay the inevitable it will fail at some point, it needs to be run much better.

No matter which Government is in power they have to do that IMHO

• Thank you Fred, a fair explanation with a personal experience, an experience many have.

I worked in security at a main hospital for 8yrs. For those 8yrs I did more physical restraints and for far longer, suffered more injuries and scratches scrapes and bruises than my time in the police.

As a trade union official I fought for a greater understanding of the role my team was being asked to do, without anyone in management having a clue.

Working hours/ shift pattern and manpower shortages were soul destroying. There are always poor sods that will work 60+ hrs a week for a few extra quid, not realising it's no good to you dead.

We got an increase in our manning, only to find that when they recruited to fill the 77,12hr shifts each week they only recruited enough to fill 72. Then they took away overtime payments, so when a few refused to work those extra shifts they were accused of working to rule.

Purposefully lying on grievance hearing reports to avoid spending money on a room fit for purpose for CCTV monitoring. Ignoring long detailed reports regards the handling of mental health patients and staff safety I could go on.

Absolutely sweet FA to do with corruption,milionaires or bad government ministers. Managers word is taken regardless of the evidence to the contrary at times.

Nurses in the main are great, do a great job, but when you see 12 of them stood laughing around the nurses station while your elderly relatives lies for nearly 5hrs in their own shit, or those same nurses are seen every hour or two out smoking but then complaining they are rushed off their feet, pull the other one it's got bells on.

The word backbone was used, imo regarding the NHS that's an all encompassing word. Trusts need to get backbone and send those turning up clogging up A&E away who don't need to be there. People for whom a weekday appointment is inconvenient or want a sick note on Sunday evening.

Idiots need a backbone arriving with a paper cut, told in triage they don't even need an elastoplast then waiting 6hrs to see a doctor, they leave sulking for GB when sent away with NOWT.

Some staff are rushed off their feet busy AF, A&E, elderly peoples wards, during covid ICU and yes they deserve better pay.

But creating more problems doesn't solve problems, but I understand the frustration.

Junior doctors have always been worked too hard, I remember a junior doctors dispute many years ago in the tone of Carol Anne from the movie Poltergeist " ITS BACK". But I wanna smack the next 7yr junior doctor that quotes this 15yrs erosion shite.

Manpower, the biggest, a problem faced across Europe in many sectors. Eight million flu deaths since 2020 haha, early retirement of which I am one. They stand zero chance of me returning to work now, but for what. Save it your punished, spend it you cause inflation, you gotta jump through hoops to give it away. I'm getting my pension, which is just gonna get taxed when I get the OAP I have contributed to for 45 yrs.

I don't want to be some sad fool that dies at work or within a year of retirement having never had the chance to enjoy it. I worked to live, not, live to work.

On that note we need to take a leaf out of my local garden centres book. On a recent visit a large area was chained off, with a sign that said

"NO ENTRY STAFF PRODUCTION AREA"

That's the ticket, grown your own.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• I worked from the age of 15 years full time until almost the age of 69 years, saved into more than one pension fund for years paid all my dues as did millions of others, millions did not people like you and I paid to keep them fed and watered for years.

I am enjoying my retirement whilst I can , that is why the House is up for sale to move out of London it is time for my wife to retire she has worked for over 50 years as well.

I have to laugh at an article the Guardian today Starmer and Labour state they will not tax and spend as before if they get into power,

• And for the ones who haven’t got private health insurance, or £12,000 available? Throw them to the dogs, right? Typical blinkered Tory view. Would Labour be any better? No, but hopefully they would prevent the 'I'm alright Jack' slide towards the NHS becoming like the US model.

I don’t remember anyone saying that, Grandpa. Were you dreaming?

• The NHS has been declining for years, long before the, ‘it’s everybody else’s fault’ excuses came along. In my opinion that’s because it’s being run on a business model. The civil servants get their orders from above and that’s where the sleaze and corruption comes from.

The civil servants run the show, Grandpa. There are many thousands of them and very few ministers, who cannot get involved in the day-to-day running of the NHS.

Going back to the patients drinking out of vases during the last Labour government, I don’t blame Labour for that, I blame the nurses and the people they reported to for not looking after the patients properly. What I blame Labour for is the attempted cover up and the failure to deal with the problem until it was exposed by the press.

To blame governments for operational failures by officials is disingenuous.

• The civil servants run the show, Grandpa. There are many thousands of them and very few ministers, who cannot get involved in the day-to-day running of the NHS.

Going back to the patients drinking out of vases during the last Labour government, I don’t blame Labour for that, I blame the nurses and the people they reported to for not looking after the patients properly. What I blame Labour for is the attempted cover up and the failure to deal with the problem until it was exposed by the press.

To blame governments for operational failures by officials is disingenuous.

Its simply bang out of order

• I don’t remember anyone saying that, Grandpa. Were you dreaming?

I said it, it wasn’t a quote.

The idea that ‘I can afford it, so why can’t everyone else’ are ideas left over from the Victorian era in which poverty was said to be an individual failure. Unfortunately, it’s typical of current ring wing thought in a society heading towards a US dog-eat-dog model in which even life itself comes at a price.

I’m waiting for the day when the Tories go too far again and as in the Thatcher era, people come out into the streets and say enough is enough and demand an end to over a decade of decline. The NHS is in tatters, social housing is near non-existent, a packet of cigarettes is the minimum wage and poverty is soaring. If Tory politicians were paid on results they’d be standing in line for the food banks!

I don’t think that Labour would do any better, but you people have to be stopped at the next general election before you completely destroy this country and blame it on everyone else.

There! That was a nice rant, short and sweet and to the point. Up the revolution! Power to the Grandpa’s and hopefull Labour will raise taxes for you greedy Tory lot until you squeal. :)    

• Some of the best nurses I have ever had have been Filipinos and I had an Iraqi house doctor once that was superb. His bed side manner was one of the best ever. Generally caring, gave you his time and listened to what one had to say. That's the NHS. I don't think anyone can knock the staff but there's always the one African nurse with a bad attitude, aggressive and forceful.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!