Will Threads take over from Twitter?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Threads: Twitter threatens legal action over Meta's new app
    Its owner Elon Musk says "competition is fine, cheating is not" a day after the rival app launched.
    www.bbc.co.uk

It seems to me that the Twitterati are flying away from the nest in droves.

Elon Musk has made a right mess of things here. Will Threads takeover and leave Twitter to die under the hands of its stumbling owner?

I’ve rarely used Twitter myself - I might give Threads a try, but it seems much the same from the information I’ve gathered.

Do you use Twitter and are you thinking of migrating to Threads? Has anyone tried it, and what are your first impressions?

• I have a twitter account but just so I can more easily read tweets from public figures and public bodies. I've never tweeted but I do find it an excellent source of views, info and ideas.

IMHO Threads has three problems: the legal challenges will go on for a long time deterring the big names migrating to it, the critical mass of contributor content Twitter has got and it's a Zuckerberg project and Zuckerberg is so 2010.

That said Musk has spent the last year doing his best to give them an open goal.

Bring back Conversations

• I've always managed to stay away from Twitter, I've a Facebook account but don't post on that. I like WhatsApp as we have a few groups set up for friends and family and I use Skype as well. I don't imagine me ever using Threads.

The Voice of Reason

• Never used Facebook, can't stand its owner, but I know what Facebook groups have done to places like this, so in answer to the OP, if it works, I'm sure it will be a threat to Twitter. However, Twitter is primarily a means by which organisations and prominent people can keep the world up to date up to date with news from themselves and this is very successful, so Facebook will have a hard time supplanting that part of it.

• OLD BOY July 10, 2023 at 8:29 AM

Changed the title of the thread from “Will Threads take over from Twiitter?” to “Will Threads take over from Twitter?”.
  • I'm with Horizon on this. I don't have a twitter account but I do browse it from time to time. I can't imagine the met police helicopter having a page on Facebook to tell folk what's going on. Plus your forced into having an account to see most things. Closed my FB account many years ago but barely used it anyway. Zuckerberg is a thieving bastard. The original college campus FB wasn't even his and now he steals peoples data.

My Sonar is picking up an Echo around here

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!