Sinead O’Connor - RIP

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Sinead O’Connor dead as tributes flood in for Irish music legend
    Musician Sinead O'Connor has died at the age of 56.
    www.express.co.uk

I will never grow tired of hearing her singing Prince’s song ‘Nothing Compares’. It chokes me even now watching the video on You Tube.

She held strong views, which made her unpopular with some, and it probably stunted her career in the music industry. But she was a great talent and she made her mark in the world, that is for sure.

• Very sad, really upsetting. She had a brilliant talent but effectively wrecked her life and now it can't be repaired and 56 is no age to die.

I rather fear that when we learn the cause of death that will be further sad news.

RIP

Currently ignoring Echo 10

• Just saw the tribute to her on the news. You could be excused for thinking she wrote her one and only big hit to hear how they banged on about it.

Ok - hers was infinitely better than the version Prince put out himself, but unless you knew you'd never have known it wasn't her song.

• I like most older folk know that one song she made hers. But if I am honest I couldn't have named another and still can't.

I know nothing of her , but a quick read of Wikipedia points to a messed up woman undoubtedly all stemming from Mental Health issues.

Ironically it is only the other day that I ranted again at my telly. The death of the BBC presenter George Alagiah, resulting in a 20 minute report where people I have never heard of sprouted about how wonderful he was.

I don't believe in the celebrity crap, he was a news reader and Sinead was a singer, both well paid for their respective employment choices. Both professions require public participation, but I got totally frustrated at the telly. As yet another another tribute was discussed I felt this needed to have been kept within the BBC or George's family, quite frankly I didn't care.

I said to my wife NOBODY gave us the chance to say such things publicly about your dad earlier this year but he was far more important to us than some news reader, or in this case singer.

Do unto others as they would do unto you, then plead temporary insanitary 😂. :saint:

• Her first album (Lion and the Cobra) that predates Nothing Compares is well worth a listen. Mandinka is a bit of an earworm.

Currently ignoring Echo 10

• I like most older folk know that one song she made hers. But if I am honest I couldn't have named another and still can't.

I know nothing of her , but a quick read of Wikipedia points to a messed up woman undoubtedly all stemming from Mental Health issues.

Ironically it is only the other day that I ranted again at my telly. The death of the BBC presenter George Alagiah, resulting in a 20 minute report where people I have never heard of sprouted about how wonderful he was.

I don't believe in the celebrity crap, he was a news reader and Sinead was a singer, both well paid for their respective employment choices. Both professions require public participation, but I got totally frustrated at the telly. As yet another another tribute was discussed I felt this needed to have been kept within the BBC or George's family, quite frankly I didn't care.

I said to my wife NOBODY gave us the chance to say such things publicly about your dad earlier this year but he was far more important to us than some news reader, or in this case singer.

The tribute they paid at both ends of the 6 o'clock news for George Alagiah was a bit OTT, particularly when the second act was basically a repeat of what they'd already reported 10-15 mins earlier. What I found cringeworthy was the near throwaway announcement of another death in the same broadcast, that being the death of former footy player Trevor Francis. The way they reported his passing looked and sounded a bit disrespectful by comparison.

I agree that too much time was devoted to these deaths on the news. There are far more important world events that should have had the air time instead. Both deaths should have been reported because they were of genuine interest to many, but a proper report on their lives should have been confined to a separate documentary.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!