Minimum Service Level Bill receives Royal Assent

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • At last, a means by which minimum service levels can be assured during industrial action. But should the provisions not have gone further?

Strikes Bill becomes law
    Government Bill to introduce Minimum Service Levels during industrial action receives Royal Assent
    www.gov.uk
  • It's about public services, not the unions. They can still take industrial action, including strikes.

But why should the public be inconvenienced in the first place?

As for 'forcing' people to work, no, you can't (except maybe with a stricter penal regime) but you can terminate contracts.

• Nonsense, as Old Boy has pointed out workers right have not been diminished at all, its about Public Services that we all need cannot be shut down completely even if a strike is called

• More workers rights gone.

So you think it’s OK to shut down all services to the public to achieve your aims?

That’s exactly the same attitude displayed by those protesters who want to stop people from going about their business, no matter how urgent.

Totally irresponsible.

• Well you right and the contracts can be terminated but where do you think people will go from there. It's not that easy to get another job so you end up on a path with no money and plenty of resentment and nothing left to lose so maybe they will riot on the streets next as they become more poverty ridden or join the gangs in raiding shops. Push people too far and you end up with anarchy. What are your going to do about that. There's more of us than there is them, them being the greedy slimeballs at the top who could not give a shit about the masses of workers that earn them money whether that be in the form of theft ie taxes or more money going to share holders.

My Sonar is picking up an Echo around here

• Well, Norra, that would remain to be seen. But a much more important question is what can be done.

And let’s not go to the bartering route!

• Then pay people a fair wage that is in balance with inflation. Take some money away from those at the top and instead of paying managers £40 plus grand a year half that and divvy it up among those at the lower end and bring some balance. The problem is the greedy arseholes wont even think about that and would probably half it and give it to their greedy arse shareholders which brings us back to the problems of privatisation. FFS half an MP's salary and cut our taxes while at it.

• So you think it’s OK to shut down all services to the public to achieve your aims?

That’s exactly the same attitude displayed by those protesters who want to stop people from going about their business, no matter how urgent.

Totally irresponsible.

In the end withdrawal of labour is all you have .

You can’t actually force people to work

This bill will just drive further resentment

• In the end withdrawal of labour is all you have .

You can’t actually force people to work

This bill will just drive further resentment

If someone wants to earn more, they should get another job.

You will never be able to force people to work of course, but that should be regarded as a breach of contract. Unfortunately, the unions have special privileges which prevent them from being sued and protects employees who strike from dismissal, but these privileges are being abused.

• I have listened to that mantra from the Labour Party and the far left tax the rich more for 50 years at least it has never worked , the better paid and high earners pay more tax on their incomes than those who do not earn as much, unless they use tax evasions methods which is a criminal offence .

As for shareholders they risk their money by buying shares investing in companies if their shares go up and cash them in they will be taxed , if they go down they can sell them if they wish at a loss, or hang onto them and hope they go up again .

As for Privatisation they were a burden on the taxpayers not very efficient or cost effective

• People should get paid according to the workload and hours they do not their position or length of time they have been working somewhere. Someone that is doing physical hard graft should get paid more than someone that sits on their arse most of the day in front of a screen and / or taking meetings drinking coffee and chatting. But to be fair I would give everyone an equal wage.

• People should get paid according to the workload and hours they do not their position or length of time they have been working somewhere. Someone that is doing physical hard graft should get paid more than someone that sits on their arse most of the day in front of a screen and / or taking meetings drinking coffee and chatting. But to be fair I would give everyone an equal wage.

It will never happen

• The service industries are still a burden on the taxpayer

The taxpayers always get hit one or another, what we need is for our Government no matter which party is in power is to spend our money more wisely and ensure that we get value for our money , far to often they waste an awful lot of our money year in year out.

So how would you get people to take responsibility for anything?

It’s a common misconception amongst people with physical jobs that working in an office is a doddle. The stress and worry about managing a service, meeting targets, making decisions that could ruin your career if you got it wrong, is something they do not comprehend.

Most certainly, I would not have looked for the kind of employment that was my career if everyone was paid the same, and nor would most people. I would have gone for the most easy going job I could find and concentrate on developing my social life.

No-one puts themselves out if there’s no incentive.

• So how would you get people to take responsibility for anything?

It’s a common misconception amongst people with physical jobs that working in an office is a doddle. The stress and worry about managing a service, meeting targets, making decisions that could ruin your career if you got it wrong, is something they do not comprehend.

Most certainly, I would not have looked for the kind of employment that was my career if everyone was paid the same, and nor would most people. I would have gone for the most easy going job I could find and concentrate on developing my social life.

No-one puts themselves out if there’s no incentive.

I retrained more than once in my working life in order to improve my pay and working conditions, the day when you got a job and stayed in the same job doing the same thing day after day for years are gone

• It's about public services, not the unions. They can still take industrial action, including strikes.

But why should the public be inconvenienced in the first place?

As for 'forcing' people to work, no, you can't (except maybe with a stricter penal regime) but you can terminate contracts.

Exactly membership of Trade Unions is at an all time low roughly 6.4 million people are in a Union, the larger number of people of working age are not in any Trade Union, the days of Union run closed shops thankfully went many years ago, workers are no longer forced to join pay subscriptions part of which funds the Labour Party.

If you wish to strike you can, if you don't wish to strike that is your personal choice, however IMO you may be strongly criticised or sent to Coventry by work colleagues who are in a Union, but it is not as bad as it was 50 years ago.

Workers rights have not been diminished , Employers have to play by the rules , now the Unions have to as well in the bad old days they virtually did as they wanted and brought the UK to its knees

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!