The new enemy: Ultra processed food

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The UK faces a 'tidal wave of harm' as ultra-processed food
    Ultra-processed foods constitute 57% of the UK diet. Likening it to tobacco, campaigners said the research provided some of the strongest evidence yet that…
    www.dailymail.co.uk

We all know that eating too much fat, salt, sugar is bad for us, but research presented to heart experts at a conference in Amsterdam, has shown that the amount of processing the food has is equally dangerous.

I watch a youtube channel called Zoe which has been featured by the BBC and they state that our gut health, ie all the microbes and bacteria which is naturally found in our gut, is coming under constant attack from eating ultra processed food.

Many people think that a lot of foods are good for us because they are low in salt, sugar and fat, such as Muesli or low fat yoghurt, but as many of these foods are ultra processed, they are not healthy at all.

Calls are being made to improve food packaging to reflect what is truly healthy or not, but if we cannot eat fats, salt, sugar, meant to eat a plant based diet, what do we eat?

• Indeed it has been voiced before and rightly so , all things in moderation some state that a Mediterranean Diet or a Japanese Diet are better for us hence they live longer

• I think we also need to get back to cooking and growing our own food a lot more.

As we have a long rear garden we used to grow our own vegetables years ago which was great send the kids out to bring in a cabbage or cauliflower for Sunday dinner.

But we stopped some years ago it got to much for us both working unsocial hours so we gave up, when we move house we will put in some raised beds and a herb garden not as much bending and no digging involved

• I buy plenty of fresh vegetables and meat to cook at home. Never ready meals as they're so processed. There are a few pies and pasties in the freezer plus a pizza or two but I always serve these with a good selection of vegetables as well.

There are some more processed stuff like mayo and sauces but these are only used in moderation. I must get back to making my own bread instead of buying it even though we use very little. Mainly for toast at breakfast.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• We do the same, I do have the odd Steak and Kidney Puddings now and again, don't do fast foods either, only if driving up North will the wife and I have a Big Mac and chips its a quick pit stop get in and out of the services ASAP

• I think we also need to get back to cooking and growing our own food a lot more.

Good luck with that when both parents have to go to work and those who are single have to work all hours. When has anyone got time to cook. This not new news. Anyone with half a brain knows that non natural food is no good for us.

• Indeed it has been voiced before and rightly so , all things in moderation some state that a Mediterranean Diet or a Japanese Diet are better for us hence they live longer

that is what's pedalled mate but incredulity there is very little difference between most western nations between 1 -3 yrs difference.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• Good luck with that when both parents have to go to work and those who are single have to work all hours. When has anyone got time to cook. This not new news. Anyone with half a brain knows that non natural food is no good for us.

Well to your first sentence :thumbup:

To your last no.gif

The huge big flaw in that idiot Daily Mail article in the OP is that obvious truth: correlation does not equal causation.

Quorn is a non natural highly processed food, we eat loads of it here. Awkwardly for the Daily Mail it's a very healthy food.

• I'm expecting to live until I'm 100, but I'd settle for 97!

Best of luck with that, you might make it.

Sadly it seems a lot of people manage their finances as if they won't live beyond 75 when actually they're statistically likely to need money til they're near 90.

• if we weren't generally such lazy bastards when it comes to either how many times a week/month we want to go food shopping, or how long we want to spend preparing food then there wouldn't be anything like the amount of ultra processed food in the market place.

it's also cheap.

Our demand for out of season produce all year round doesn't help. If certain foodstuffs are having to be shipped in from god only knows where you can expect them to be processed in some way to keep them relatively fresh and their shelf life extended.

Less processing might probably mean higher prices if supermarkets are having to factor in shorter shelf lives and waste into their pricing - how that would impact those growing the food remains to be seen - would they try and drive their margins even lower to offset the possible increase in price to the consumer?

• if we weren't generally such lazy bastards when it comes to either how many times a week/month we want to go food shopping, or how long we want to spend preparing food then there wouldn't be anything like the amount of ultra processed food in the market place.

it's also cheap.

Our demand for out of season produce all year round doesn't help. If certain foodstuffs are having to be shipped in from god only knows where you can expect them to be processed in some way to keep them relatively fresh and their shelf life extended.

Less processing might probably mean higher prices if supermarkets are having to factor in shorter shelf lives and waste into their pricing - how that would impact those growing the food remains to be seen - would they try and drive their margins even lower to offset the possible increase in price to the consumer?

When I was a kid many people (nearly always the women) would go food shopping two or 3 times a week and tinned peas aside, there really wasn't much processed food. And life expectancy was 10% less than it is now and food poisoning accepted as something that just happened.

Seems there's many upsides of being 'lazy bastards'

• When I was a kid many people (nearly always the women) would go food shopping two or 3 times a week and tinned peas aside, there really wasn't much processed food. And life expectancy was 10% less than it is now and food poisoning accepted as something that just happened.

But likewise when I was a kid (raised in the 60s) everybody smoked, there weren't anything like the number of treatments or meds for things like cancer, people were getting exposed to all kinds of toxins in the workplace (asbestos, black lung etc). Medical science has improved so much in the last 50 years that anything prior to that looks positively middle-aged by comparison.

Food poisoning is all about knowledge. if you didn't know how to properly store, prepare or cook a chicken you can expect to fall 'foul' (terrible pun) of it.

There was only 1 'fat kid' in our entire school year when i was in junior school. Literally everybody else had a near identical body shape give or take height and relative muscle density.

Me and my younger brother, armed with a small list of items to hand over and a few bob in our pockets were regularly sent out to get the veg from the green grocer at the bottom of the street or pop up to the market that, as the crow flies was about 600 yards away in the other direction for things like cheese, meat and fish. it was how we earned our pocket money to go to the Saturday morning cinema shows and see how Buster Crabb was faring against Ming the Merciless ( :) ). Most kids of my generation entertained themselves 'outdoors' - got on their bikes, used jumpers for goalposts down the local park.

The occasional cone of chips walking back from the swimming baths was an absolute treat and by today's standard portion size, akin to that sip of wine a waiter might offer you to try before pouring you a glass.

My kids (both overweight) order pizza's on a phone app. They've learned 'convenience' from me and their mum. We're guilty of having normalized processed food as a staple as we took advantage of the rise of the supermarket and fast food outlets. Nobody owned a freezer, a deep fat fryer or a sandwich maker when I was a kid. Over the years we let processed food become more and more the standard items on the shopping list and by the time the kids came along - all perfectly normal in their eyes and a part of their regular diet.

I'm not some born again poster boy for Jamie Oliver. I'm fully aware of the fact that way too much crap filtered into my daily diet since I was a teenager - crap that's still a large part of my daily intake. I am that stereotypical lazy bastard on a near daily basis.

The odds of me making old bones without some serious medical intervention aren't great. i'm overweight, rarely ever exercise let alone on a routine basis and I love shoving too many carbs down my neck in the form of a chip butty or a chocolate digestive (the crack cocaine of biscuits) or whatever.

• RUSTY

We have ALL swung that lamp mate, as a kid cancer was virtually unheard of, as we're those allergies. We ate the cheapest cuts of meat, but ate those 5 a day regularly with dinners, salads and the like.

But we also didn't have 24hr TV 350 channels and as you say the info that's about now.

These days my wife and I can cannot eat a portion of chips between us. Oddly as I've been trying to lose weight for this op I have been counting the calories, but pretty much refuse to rule anything out. So my average daily calorie intake has hovered between 1150-1600 calories per day, but this morning the dogs went to the groomers for early appointment and Mr & Mrs CL went for a full English, 1000 calories all on its own 😱😂😂.

I gotta be honest until I was 40+ I had no idea what a calorie was, but your right 100% on that processed food and supermarket link, but have you tried lately to buy good old fashioned boiled sliced ham, it would be easier to nail angel delight to the ceiling.

So, the point being is that now its hard to live without processed food, it's everywhere.

• When I was a kid many people (nearly always the women) would go food shopping two or 3 times a week and tinned peas aside, there really wasn't much processed food. And life expectancy was 10% less than it is now and food poisoning accepted as something that just happened.

Being born in the 40's I remember those days the NHS was just getting going which started to increase life expectancy as medical science today has , workplaces were more dangerous back then due to little or no heath and safety back then.

Most women worked , those that had children would work part time when their children started infant school, or grandmother would look after them for a few hours.

Yes most people shopped two or three times a week if they could, for the simple reason not many could afford a fridge back then, most house has a Pantry with a cold shelf to keep food cool , I remember a fridge in our house at about 12 years of age, shops closed for half a day each week, and shops were shut at 5pm and on a Sunday

Simple test of food especially meat was look at the texture and smell it , if you could afford meat for Sunday dinner it was bought on a Saturday food poisoning, no food was wasted hence stews and soup during the week f, I certainly do not remember food poisoning

I do not remember going to school with kids who were overweight or obese like some today, most kids back then were built like racing snakes

• Forget about calories, Canny Lad. Less calories = hunger.

Just keep the carbs low instead. That way you can lose weight without getting hungry. That means cutting right down on chips, potatoes, rice and salad. Most of the ready meals have an horrendous amount of carbs - best to avoid!

The good news - fresh meat has no carbs!

• These days my wife and I can cannot eat a portion of chips between us. Oddly as I've been trying to lose weight for this op I have been counting the calories, but pretty much refuse to rule anything out. So my average daily calorie intake has hovered between 1150-1600 calories per day, but this morning the dogs went to the groomers for early appointment and Mr & Mrs CL went for a full English, 1000 calories all on its own 😱😂😂.

I gotta be honest until I was 40+ I had no idea what a calorie was, but your right 100% on that processed food and supermarket link, but have you tried lately to buy good old fashioned boiled sliced ham, it would be easier to nail angel delight to the ceiling.

So, the point being is that now its hard to live without processed food, it's everywhere.

I've just unwrapped a Ginsters pasty that I'm on chomping on while reading this. I didn't even warm it up!! :)

Like you up to the age of 40 my calorie/carb intake was never something I considered - because I was always physically active up to that point be that from playing 5-a-side football, squash, badmington or even sat behind my drum kit thrashing out rock songs in a band 2-3 nights a week.

Now I do sod all - but my calorie intake remained the same, so the food i used to burn off is now resting somewhere between me and the keyboard I'm currently typing on!

• when I went onto Traffic I was told to cultivate my belly.

"WHY" I naively asked

"Gotta have somewhere to stand your lunchbox" I was informed.

That was nearly 35yrs ago lol, it ain't gonna go overnite 🤷😂😂😂

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!