No wonder the country has no money

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I'm pretty sure it's the same everywhere in the UK, but I'm going to get it off my chest. Just up the road from me there are a dozen or so very small council houses. Needless to say the people who live in them don't have much money. Last week a resident of one of these properties took delivery of a brand new Ford Cougar Hybrid. I went on line, and the car in question has a value of just over £41k. It goes without saying the car in question is a Motobility vehicle, as indicated in small writing on the number plate of the vehicle. YES, I know the car is paid for through their mobility allowance, and in this instance it will be topped up by the person in question, however the top up will also come from their other benefits, meaning the tax payer is leasing this person a £41k car. Even worse, the tax payer is also paying for the servicing and repair, the tax, and the insurance. Not for one moment do I feel any anger towards the person in question, but what the hell are our government thinking of. Everyone needs to get from A to B but we aren't all given brand new cars. I have no issue with disabled people be given free bus passes, or even a small amount towards cab fairs, but this is ridiculous. Poor old Mr & Mrs Smith who both work forty hours a week are running around in a 15 year old banger, meanwhile their neighbor who spends her day watching mindless TV has got a brand new Ford Cougar parked on the drive.

There may actually be some people that think this is OK, but here is another example of madness. I live in a holiday area where there are many static caravan parks, and I know several caravan sales people. I have been told by all of them that a large percentage of their sales are through Motobility. Yep, you heard it correctly. The tax payer is actually funding so called disabled people to have these rather nice second homes, which in many cases will be rented out.

No wonder the government are running out of bloody money

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• The Government does not have any money , it is our money they spend and often not very wisely

OK, no wonder the government doesn't have any of OUR money left. Is that better?

• Just voicing my own opinion, not criticizing your wording in your post

I kind of think if it were their money and not ours they wouldn't be handing out £40k cars to people with health issues

• People who have health issues need a helping hand that is what the Welfare System is all about IMHO

A helping hand is one thing, a £40k fully expensed car is another

• Bibbles is right. This country just pours water down the drain. It would be far cheaper to give them disability passes for taxis.

As long as they are assessed medically I really don't have a problem with them being issued with suitable vehicle to give them the freedom and independence like the rest of us to move about go on holiday with their family or get out of their house go shopping as and when they wish to, not trapped in doors most of the time.

As for Taxis since my wife's accident she finds it difficult and uncomfortable to get in and out of any low down vehicle , that is why we bought an automatic SUV so she has the freedom she had before her accident.

• They do have taxis that cater for disabled people. The State providing £40 grand vehicles left, right and centre out of taxpayers’ money is definitely not OK.

• They do have taxis that cater for disabled people. The State providing £40 grand vehicles left, right and centre out of taxpayers’ money is definitely not OK.

Yes they do but how many ? many disabled people can and do work in this day and age and pay their way same as the rest of us, but some can't. we will have to agree to disagree

• Just watch someone in a wheelchair go about their day to day business in public and you will see how much they are inconvenienced. We really do not cater for those with disabilities very well from web design to providing ramps outside buildings or providing decent disabled toilets. Saying that there's hardly any decent public toilets for the rest of us LOL

• I'm pretty sure it's the same everywhere in the UK, but I'm going to get it off my chest. Just up the road from me there are a dozen or so very small council houses. Needless to say the people who live in them don't have much money. Last week a resident of one of these properties took delivery of a brand new Ford Cougar Hybrid. I went on line, and the car in question has a value of just over £41k. It goes without saying the car in question is a Motobility vehicle, as indicated in small writing on the number plate of the vehicle. YES, I know the car is paid for through their mobility allowance, and in this instance it will be topped up by the person in question, however the top up will also come from their other benefits, meaning the tax payer is leasing this person a £41k car. Even worse, the tax payer is also paying for the servicing and repair, the tax, and the insurance. Not for one moment do I feel any anger towards the person in question, but what the hell are our government thinking of. Everyone needs to get from A to B but we aren't all given brand new cars. I have no issue with disabled people be given free bus passes, or even a small amount towards cab fairs, but this is ridiculous. Poor old Mr & Mrs Smith who both work forty hours a week are running around in a 15 year old banger, meanwhile their neighbor who spends her day watching mindless TV has got a brand new Ford Cougar parked on the drive.

There may actually be some people that think this is OK, but here is another example of madness. I live in a holiday area where there are many static caravan parks, and I know several caravan sales people. I have been told by all of them that a large percentage of their sales are through Motobility. Yep, you heard it correctly. The tax payer is actually funding so called disabled people to have these rather nice second homes, which in many cases will be rented out.

No wonder the government are running out of bloody money

You say you don't feel any anger towards the person but that's not what comes over.

Where did you get the price of £41k from? WhatCar don't back it https://www.whatcar.com/make/ford/kuga/4x4/deals

And how do you know how they're paying for it?

And it's a Kuga. The Ford Cougar hasn't been sold for over 20 years.

The staff here send me bizarre messages I'm barred from replying to and now I'm blocked from starting new conversations. icon_rolleyes.gif

This place could have been good but 'could' is so last tense. I'll be back, maybe but no one hold their breath.

• You say you don't feel any anger towards the person but that's not what comes over.

Where did you get the price of £41k from? WhatCar don't back it https://www.whatcar.com/make/ford/kuga/4x4/deals

And how do you know how they're paying for it?

And it's a Kuga. The Ford Cougar hasn't been sold for over 20 years.

Sorry, it should be Kuga,

Base model

2023 Ford Kuga Black Pack Ed 2.5 Duratec 190PS FHEV CVT

SUV

Model: 2023 Ford Kuga

RRP: £39,845

Fuel economy: 51 mpg combined

Horsepower: 140 kW @ 5,500 rpm

Towing capacity: 1,600 kg

Battery: 1.1 kWh lithium-ion

Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder

Kerb weight: 1,701 kg

Top of the range

2023 Ford Kuga Graphite Tech Ed 2.5 Dura 190PS FHEV CVT

SUV

Model: 2023 Ford Kuga

RRP: £41,345

Fuel economy: 51 mpg combined

Horsepower: 140 kW @ 5,500 rpm

Towing capacity: 1,600 kg

Battery: 1.1 kWh lithium-ion

Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder

Kerb weight: 1,701 kg

No I don't feel any anger towards the person, it's our stupid government who drive me mad. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the alternative would be even more stupid

• It would depend on their mobility problems and if they can access a smaller lower down vehicle and the size of their family IMO

You didn't read my post properly, I know that. My point is that the payments have probably been topped up with other benefits, which in reality means the tax payer is paying for the lot. I must say that your avoiding the Issue though. The fact that the tax payer is funding a fully expensed brand new car for anyone who claims to have a health issue is just crazy. Like I said earlier, Mr & Mrs Smith who both work full time may be struggling to run a 15 year old banger, but if you can convince the authorities you have some form of disability you get a brand new car to run around in. I know a woman with a new Nissan supplied for her mildly disabled daughter. The daughter is still entitled to £60 worth of cab fairs every week day to get her to school, despite the fact Mum has got the car. Just another example of how money is thrown away

• The Government does not have any money , it is our money they spend and often not very wisely

They also borrow money on our behalf ,currently £2357 billion

The current interest payment is around £7.7 billion

• You didn't read my post properly, I know that. My point is that the payments have probably been topped up with other benefits, which in reality means the tax payer is paying for the lot. I must say that your avoiding the Issue though. The fact that the tax payer is funding a fully expensed brand new car for anyone who claims to have a health issue is just crazy. Like I said earlier, Mr & Mrs Smith who both work full time may be struggling to run a 15 year old banger, but if you can convince the authorities you have some form of disability you get a brand new car to run around in. I know a woman with a new Nissan supplied for her mildly disabled daughter. The daughter is still entitled to £60 worth of cab fairs every week day to get her to school, despite the fact Mum has got the car. Just another example of how money is thrown away

I understood fully what you were on about, if I remember correctly this is not the first time you have broached this subject, firstly in order to apply and possibly be granted Mobility assistance, you are required to have to provide documented medical proof of what your disability or disabilities are.

Even if it only a small car that is basically leased to you which more often you have to pay something towards each month, my late Dad who had worked all his life and paid all his dues, he was entitled to additional benefits due to industrial injuries.

He paid something towards his mobility car if not eligible he and my late Mother who also worked and paid all her dues as well would have been basically house bound for 20 years no independence at all, neither of them were fit enough to walk to the nearest bus stop to get the shops, the mobility car meant they could get out and about

As for the £40 grand car again the person who was allocated that vehicle would have been fully medically assessed before being granted such a vehicle to meet their needs, possibly room to carry a wheelchair , and any other medical equipment such as oxygen plus a carer more than likely a family member to help them.

My wife following her accident is now allowed a Blue Badge because of her disability, they don't give them out for no good reason either when you apply you have to make them fully aware of your disability and why you need one.

If need be they call you in for a medical examination how far can you walk can you get up stairs etc, the surgeon who put her leg back together provided that evidence her leg is held together will metal plates nuts and bolts, she is thankfully mobile but will never walk properly again

Some people see Blue Badge Holders parking in the disabled bays at Supermarkets and the driver gets out and walks into the shop, no wheelchair , no crutches no walking stick and wrongly think he or she is not disabled we have heard that being said , a wrong assumption.

There are two scenarios either the driver is wrongly using the Blue Badge and the holder is not in the vehicle which means if challenged the Blue Badge will be withdrawn ,or the driver is a genuine Blue Badge Holder but does not have a visible disability.

The bottom line is you can only access the Mobility Scheme if you have some sort of medical disability that is fully documented and provable, it is not a lottery you are entitled to some degree of mobility or your not IMHO.

• They also borrow money on our behalf ,currently £2357 billion

The current interest payment is around £7.7 billion

To be fair we also loan money, it's not about the debt it's about the deficit

• You're still missing the point. regardless of the disability, and regardless of the vehicle provided through the scheme, I believe providing anyone with a fully expensed car is financial madness. I am OK with a free bus pass, or even a card that gives a person a discount on their cab fairs, but anything else is crazy. Disabled or not, everyone needs to get from A to B, but we don't all expect a free car. I should also remind you that the mobility allowance is NOT means tested, and a millionaire is also entitled to the same benefit

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!