When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • It seems that Rishi Sunak’s roll back on NetZero policies has effectively started the run in to the next general election. The speculation is that we will be looking at a GE in the rather traditional slot of May next year, although the deadline is actually January 2025. Do you think that the NetZero roll back will be enough to sway voters back to the Tories after a tumultuous last term of office? Or have they done so much damage to the nation’s confidence and their reputation that a Labour Government is now inevitable? What about the fringe parties such as Reform UK and the like, will they make any impact, will they be able to field candidates for every constituency? And then we have the SNP and the Welsh Labour parties both currently wrecking their respective countries, can they be ousted from office? Who could take Scotland if not SNP? Who could take Wales from Labour.

Chris Mason: The week Rishi Sunak changed gear ahead of general election
    Our political editor recaps on a hectic few days and asks what it means for the looming election.
    www.bbc.co.uk

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I quite like Rishi and feel that he has been given a raw deal, cleaning up post Johnson&Truss.

I think he is doing a good job, he isn't radical yet I think these green policy changes are quite radical for him. He is not naturally a nasty type person and as such I think Starmer is inclined to take liberties he wouldn't with others. At least Boris bit back and sometimes his bite back caused controversy in itself, the infamous cake jibe at the poisoned SNP pot bellued pig Blackford.

The facts are we have never been told of the costs of net zero, they weren't his targets they were May's/Johnson's and the EU's. So, when Rishi talks about taking the public with you, I'm all for that let's have some honesty.

Election winner, I don't know. It seems the public have been fed so much anti tory rhetoric, falseties and lies without alot of comeback that its a form of brainwashing in that because its not challenged forcefully the public actually start to believe it.

That said, Starmer has watered down Labours policies so much it would be difficult to get a litmus paper between them on 8/10 topics and its a lottery as to whether that paper turns red or blue.

Played right, the Tories could make major inroads in Wales, especially since the growing petition is simply rejected out of hand by Biden's twin Drakeford.

In Scotland, I have no idea the anti tory rhetoric has been relentless for alot longer up there than in Wales.

An interesting question though, well put.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• I agree that Rishi’s amendment of the route by which we get to net zero is sensible, and it shows up Labour’s policies on this, which will sharply penalise poorer people who can’t just go out and buy an expensive new boiler or car.

We need more common sense stuff from Rishi - lots more - and policies that will align with what the public want. However, it’s looking like tax cuts are unlikely, at least at this stage.

This Conference season may be make or break for Rishi.

Also, while May 2024 would normally be the good option to take for a General Election, I’m not sure that he will be able to reduce Labour’s current lead in the opinion polls significantly enough by then, although a jolly good Conservative Party Conference could change all that.

• Rishi needs to position the Conservative party further to the right politically. He needs to create a choice between sensible Conservative ideas and all that L/W Wokery being pedalled by Starmer and the Lefty Labour party.

The electorate in the UK, at the moment, cannot see any real distance between the Government and the Opposition leading to voter apathy.

As many countries in Europe and around the world are becoming bored of wishy washy L/W politics and choosing to support politics of right of centre , we in the UK will be left behind if we don't give our electorate a sensible choice.

The Voice of Reason

• Absolutely correct. Unless Rishi comes up with some proper right wing policies, many people will feel disenfranchised. England is generally a right-leaning country, and we need political parties they can identify with.

Otherwise, they will start supporting minority and extremist parties ... or even Labour (perversley) in frustration.

• Veering to the right won't buy him any votes, his only hopes are the economy looks a lot better this time next year AND Starmer starts scoring own goals. Neither is impossible but he needs both.

• Absolutely correct. Unless Rishi comes up with some proper right wing policies, many people will feel disenfranchised. England is generally a right-leaning country, and we need political parties they can identify with.

Otherwise, they will start supporting minority and extremist parties ... or even Labour (perversley) in frustration.

& what is a proper right wing policy ?

• Veering to the right won't buy him any votes,

I wouldn’t say that. Votes will be gained but some will be lost because currently the Conservatives are just a subset of Labour, virtually indistinguishable.

There needs to be some distance policy wise between the two main parties and this is now starting.

Clearly the impact of this is hard to judge right now.

Some will prefer to Switch to Labour, others main switch from a minor party like Reform.

I think in general people are more right wing than left even if they are all centrist. No single party has all the right answers though.

I would like to see the utilities and rail renationalised but I also want to see the end of NetZero. I know I can’t find one party that would do both but at least the Tories are now rolling back on NetZero…a bit.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• & what is a proper right wing policy ?

Clearing out the bureaucrats we don't need in the Civil Service (particularly in the NHS) and getting rid of unnecessary quangoes would be a good start. Public service expenditure is far too high and not being spent wisely. A root and branch review of all government expenditure is needed. The money saved could be used for the public services people actually need, like medical care, and tax cuts. Corporation tax and higher rates of income tax should be tackled. I would like to see a flat rate of tax applied across the board.

• Clearing out the bureaucrats we don't need in the Civil Service (particularly in the NHS) and getting rid of unnecessary quangoes would be a good start. Public service expenditure is far too high and not being spent wisely. A root and branch review of all government expenditure is needed. The money saved could be used for the public services people actually need, like medical care, and tax cuts. Corporation tax and higher rates of income tax should be tackled. I would like to see a flat rate of tax applied across the board.

facepalm_smiley_1.gif

Quite a collection of chip shop myths there. Have some facts https://fullfact.org/health/fact-or…-many-managers/

• Yes, when any part of the civil service is attacked because it’s spending too much, they always concentrate on the essential roles rather than on the wasteful roles.

How do you explain this, then? The report is from the Mail, but similar reports appear in the more responsible papers are behind a paywall.

NHS makes hundreds of diversity and inclusion roles despite crackdown
    In plans seen by The Telegraph, the NHS has proposed three new departments - Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, People and Culture, and People and Communities.
    www.dailymail.co.uk
  • Yes, when any part of the civil service is attacked because it’s spending too much, they always concentrate on the essential roles rather than on the wasteful roles.

How do you explain this, then? The report is from the Mail, but similar reports appear in the more responsible papers are behind a paywall.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1…sion-roles.html

Because they have issues with diversity and minorities representation in senior positions perchance?

In a workforce on 1.26 million is it surprising that less than 0.03% would have roles with at least PART of their role being diversity? No, certainly less surprising that the Mail would parrot a DT 'angry of middle England' article.

• Oh, p-l-e-a-s-e, Steve. Do you really support this criminal waste of money when it could be spent on front line services?

We are talking about the NHS here, not the politically correct brigade. Leave all the equality nonsense to Stonewall.

• I'll tell you what I very much don't support: wild hyperbole. 'Criminal waste of money' give us a break.

Spend all your days on supposed 0.03% issues and one day you might just realise there were big things to worry about

• Boris when PM was advocating that the Civil Service was too large and wanted to reduce the numbers of them by natural wastage if one retired or left they would not be replaced unless in a very specific expert role, he advocated it because of the high cost to the taxpayers

• Boris when PM was advocating that the Civil Service was too large and wanted to reduce the numbers of them by natural wastage if one retired or left they would not be replaced unless in a very specific expert role, he advocated it because of the high cost to the taxpayers

The biggest reason the Civil Service is so large is every year government after government passes new laws they have to administer and creates new burdens for be delivered. And the Tories since 2010 have been no different.

• I'll tell you what I very much don't support: wild hyperbole. 'Criminal waste of money' give us a break.

Spend all your days on supposed 0.03% issues and one day you might just realise there were big things to worry about

The waste that goes on in the NHS is a national disgrace. We cannot keep spending money on nonsense like this when patients are left on waiting lists for ever longer periods. If this kind of waste could be eliminated, we’d have enough to pay the doctors and nurses more. I’m surprised how you cannot see the perversity of reckless spending on all this fluff is dragging our services into the ground.

It’s the job of managers to ensure staff are educated on equality law so that they treat people appropriately. There is no need for an army of bureaucrats bent on imposing a new order on society.

On a slight tangent but a good example of why this is important I offer the example of motorsport and F1. The current Red Bull driven by Max Verstappen is extraordinarily quick, he won 10 races in a row and all the competition are wondering why his car is so quick considering it’s built to a common rule set. Clearly he is a great driver but that much quicker than the rest? Not a chance. Everyone has been looking for the silver bullet of what makes his car so fast, the competition has convinced itself that Reb Bull must have something that is responsible but nothing has been found it’s a fully legal car. The answer is actually quite simple, the car is just 0.05% better in a hundred different aspects to its rivals. All those tiny fractions make quite a difference , about 5% in fact. Not to be sniffed at. It is the tiny things added together that make the gains.

What do you think the problem is and what would you do. I get the impression you think there is a silver bullet solution to be found.

• The biggest reason the Civil Service is so large is every year government after government passes new laws they have to administer and creates new burdens for be delivered. And the Tories since 2010 have been no different.

The largest Department of the Civil Service is the Department of works and Pensions, 79,000 staff the top five are

1. The Department for Work and Pensions.
    2. The Ministry of Justice.
    3. HM Revenue and Customs.
    4. The Ministry of Defence.
    5. The Home Office.
  • And every year the government makes DWP regulations more complex (often using Statutory Instruments) while missing the elephant in the room: their incompetence creating the situation where so many people that need the DWP to help them survive.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!