Are you British if you fight for a foreign army?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Nathanel Young, British man serving in Israeli military, killed in Hamas attack
    Nathanel Young was serving with the Israeli military when he was killed on the Gaza border.
    www.bbc.co.uk

A side story from the Hamas attack on Israel, is the news that a Briton who is serving with Israel's defence forces, has died. But the question I pose is, how can he be British if he is serving with a foreign army?

Isn't it about time we made clear to ALL what being British is and that includes not serving the interests of a foreign country, especially in a military capacity?

• Horizon October 8, 2023 at 8:00 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “Are you British if you fight for a foreign army” to “Are you British if you fight for a foreign army?”.
  • I find it utterly bizarre that anyone who is supposedly meant to be British, would want to fight for a foreign army. It's like Norman Tebbit's cricket test x100.

• There are many historical examples. Many Irish fought for us in WW2 and currently we have a number of Brits fighting for Ukraine. And then there's the (in)famous French Foreign Legion and our use of Gurkhas.

• He was born in GB therefore he was British no matter what, he was also Jewish and was helping to protect his fellow Jews and the population of Israel many of whom are not Jewish some are Arabs some are Christians all of them are targeted by Hamas and have been for year, he was IMO doing what he thought was the right thing to do.

• He was born in GB therefore he was British no matter what, he was also Jewish and was helping to protect his fellow Jews and the population of Israel many of whom are not Jewish some are Arabs some are Christians all of them are targeted by Hamas and have been for year, he was IMO doing what he thought was the right thing to do.

For once I wholeheartedly agree with you

If Brit volunteered to fight with Ukraine nobody would question whether he was still British.

As you say as long as they are not fighting for an enemy of this country it’s up to them

• But the question I pose is, how can he be British if he is serving with a foreign army?

A little information here H, iirc if a british serviceman stationed in Cyprus were to have a child born anywhere on the island other than in the military hospital there, they were under Cypriot law required to undertake 2yrs Cypriot national service upon attaining the age of 18.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• Our government shouldn't allow that to happen CL, that is terrible. Although I assume that has never actually happened.

• Our government shouldn't allow that to happen CL, that is terrible. Although I assume that has never actually happened.

I am positive it has happened, whether it still does i cannot say. But although we have a base on the island our service men and women are subject to both Cypriot law and military law. So as i say, unless something has changed it may well still apply.

• Steve

The certificate you quote is something different. I worked with a Cypriot who had actually completed his national service, but like most countries they have a reserve commitment.

Married to a British girl and family born here, he still has his reserve commitment and has to travel to the London High commission address on you post in order to obtain his certificate or face imprisonment on return home. He is now a British cop.

• Steve

The certificate you quote is something different. . .

It was the content further down that link that was relevant. Nothing about British citizens who happened to be born on Cyprus.

'MILITARY OBLIGATIONS

In accordance with the provisions of the Law relating to National Guard, there is compulsory military service for all male citizens of the Republic of Cyprus including persons of Cypriot descent on the male side, who are resident of the Republic. The obligation commences in the year the person becomes 18 and continues to the year of his 50th birthday.

MILITARY OBLIGATIONS OF PERSONS WHO ARE NOT CYPRIOT CITIZENS BUT ARE OF CYPRIOT DESCENT

All those who are not Cypriot citizens but are of Cypriot descent (even if they had not acquired Cypriot citizenship), were born in 1960 or after, and reside in the Republic are obliged to do military service.'

• So,my interpretation if that is that if born in the British military hospital that us classified as British soil, similar to an embassy. But if born on Cypriot soil then you could technically claim citizenship, is that the loophole I wonder.

I do know it WAS fact as a friend if a friends son was so born and called up.

• before or after 2013? They appear to have changed their law then to clarify that 'able to claim citizenship' is not the same as 'has citizenship'

• Absolutely no idea, it's not important, I was simply making a point that there are situations that someone may inadvertently find themselves in, in respect to the battle of the thread.

It is clearly not acceptable for a nation of a child born if foreign nationals on their kand through a set of unfortunate circumstances to find their offspring called jp at 18 for national service.

There will also be those of dual nationality, I.e parents from different nations who may choose to fight in order to make one parent feel as though their side is contributing if their country is in conflict, ukraine may be an example. Likewise, as was in the case of ISIS they go because of some religious or political ideology.

It us important that our law clearly defines the parameters of acceptability, it is also possibly why some nations refuse to allow dual nationality, a realistic and common sense approach in this global environment. Choosing one and then trying to switch is all well and good, but so long as you understand that switching back is not permitted and once that choice is made, its yours till death would imo be acceptable.

• Please explain, I have not maligned Cyprus, I've merely expressed an opinion of the rights and wrongs of enforced national service against foreign nationals in the first half, the second half deals with us allowing dual nationality.

• A little information here H, iirc if a british serviceman stationed in Cyprus were to have a child born anywhere on the island other than in the military hospital there, they were under Cypriot law required to undertake 2yrs Cypriot national service upon attaining the age of 18.

You don't see that as a serious criticism of Cyprus? Really?

And if as it seems it's a false criticism it's maligning them.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!