Reform UK Referendum

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Britons should be offered the chance to vote in a referendum on the nation's membership of the European Convention of Human Rights, Reform UK leader Richard Tice has said.

With the Brexit Party successor staging its annual conference in London this week, Mr Tice tipped himself and Nigel Farage to spearhead a campaign to take Briton out of the EHCR, suggesting: "We've got a pretty good track record".

Mr Tice, who served alongside former Brexit Party leader Mr Farage in Brussels as an MEP, outlined his opposition to the treaty, which Britain was one of the first nations to ratify in 1951, in the second instalment of his Sunday Sermon on GB News yesterday.

Accusing Prime Minister Rishi Sunak of being "completely out of touch", he continued: "Listen to the people.

I am all for it, ask the people

• I think we've had enough referendums for now and besides, the average punter wouldn't know a thing about the European Convention.

Politicians need to sort out the migrants problem, not try and fob it off onto the electorate.

• I think they idea is to ditch ECHR which is used by Human Rights Lawyers to stop deportations of undesirable criminals from the UK far to often, also bogus asylum seekers.

• I think they idea is to ditch ECHR which is used by Human Rights Lawyers to stop deportations of undesirable criminals from the UK far to often, also bogus asylum seekers.

We won’t have to resort to this if the government wins the appeal currently being heard. We should know pretty soon now.

• Personally I think the Government should kick the ECHR into the long grass, and create our own up to date Bill of Rights

So what parts of the ECnHR are you wishing to have not apply in the UK?

• I thought I had made my opinion clear enough, I think we should ditch the ECHR all of it and make our own Bill of Rights to protect all who live in the UK , our Courts are quite capable of dealing with any issues that arise , with no outside interference from Courts outside of the UK

• I thought I had made my opinion clear enough, I think we should ditch the ECHR all of it and make our own Bill of Rights to protect all who live in the UK , our Courts are quite capable of dealing with any issues that arise , with no outside interference from Courts outside of the UK

But which parts of the ECnHR would you not copy across to a UK bill of rights?

• But which parts of the ECnHR would you not copy across to a UK bill of rights?

Too early to tell Steve. First move should be to scrap and disassociate the UK with the failed ECHR...... Then start again with our own Bill of Rights based on our own country's needs which could perhaps replicate a few of those in the ECHR if appropriate.

The Voice of Reason

• But what that says is you know of nothing in Churchill's legacy (the ECnHR) that actually is wrong.

There are lots of rumours and indeed false stories spread about cases the European Court has heard but I don't know of one where they've got it wrong, conversely there are a number where IMHO our courts have got it wrong in interpreting our mapping of the ECnHR into our Human Rights Act.

Neither gives anyone the right to abuse rights by having their needs taken as superior to the rights of others but our courts don't always seem to recognise that. So IMHO the only change needed is to amend the HRA to mandate that courts properly address that issue.

• Too early to tell Steve. First move should be to scrap and disassociate the UK with the failed ECHR...... Then start again with our own Bill of Rights based on our own country's needs which could perhaps replicate a few of those in the ECHR if appropriate.

Exactly

• Not sure a referendum is the way forward on this. Although I share the frustration there are numerous other nations that are in a similar position to us.

I'd like to think that collectively they could make a good case for its definition, meaning and interpretation to be revisited as the situation is different.

Rather than trying to avoid conflict, genuine persecution religious, political or any other reason is not the same as those faced during or post ww2.

However I acknowledge it may need to be revisited again at some point in the not to distant future if the climate change science is correct and lands become uninhabitable.

There are several questions, and as such a consensus is imho unreachable, but trying to force a nations compliance risks creating the very scenarios they wish to escape now.

But one question more than any other, where can they go?

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• looks like you're talking about the UN Refugee conventions and not the separate ECnHR

• Your right, but is it not because of 1 that 2 has been misused.

I don't believe so.

Every time I read the ECnHR I can't find any flaws in it which is why I've asked above what would people like to see different in some supposed UK Bill of Rights.

As the ECnHR is primarily a constraint on rogue behaviour by nations then I can't see how it can work unless there is an independent of nations court IE the ECtHR. And I'm not aware of any decisions that court has made that were wrong and yes I've read that interim injunction decision about Rwanda.

We've seen dishonest politicians like Theresa May who tried to blame them for her blatantly getting the paperwork wrong but that wasn't the court's fault, it was hers.

https://www.echr.coe.int/documents/d/echr/convention_ENG

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!