What is the situation really like in the UK after Brexit?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • More than 2 years have passed since Great Britain left the European Union. Many European media report that the English regret their decision today. They mention that the economy is not growing as fast as it could if they were in the EU. Many articles write about the large number of unfilled jobs. So I'm writing out of curiosity and the desire to find out what it really is like? Is it as presented in the media of other countries, or maybe it is exaggerated and the English do not feel this problem and are satisfied with their decision. I'm asking this question because I'm very interested in politics, I come from Poland, so I prefer to get the opinion of a person who actually feels the effects of Brexit. I'm counting on your answer.

• Hello and welcome. :)

I don't regret Brexit, but I do regret that we haven't had decent enough politicians to get the full benefit of leaving the EU, although it is still early days and the pandemic caused lots of additional problems.

The biggest issue, like most countries, is of course migration. The migrants issue is the primary reason the UK left the EU and this needs to be brought under control.

• It was only a brief answer, but essentially the majority of Britons voted for Brexit and the reasons for wanting that, are still as relevant today as they were then.

Before the Brexit vote, David Cameron was prime minister and he tried to negotiate with the EU aka Angela Merkel, to get a deal with the EU on migrants and other issues. But he was very pro EU and wasn't serious and neither was Merkel, so events took their place.

What you may not know was that Cameron never intended for the Brexit vote to happen. He had just won an election, but he expected to be in a coalition government with the liberals, as he had been for the previous five years, but he actually won the election. If he had been in coalition with the liberals, the liberals would've blocked the Brexit vote and that's what Cameron had assumed was going to happen.

Lesson here: assume nothing. :)

• More than 2 years have passed since Great Britain left the European Union. Many European media report that the English regret their decision today. They mention that the economy is not growing as fast as it could if they were in the EU. Many articles write about the large number of unfilled jobs. So I'm writing out of curiosity and the desire to find out what it really is like? Is it as presented in the media of other countries, or maybe it is exaggerated and the English do not feel this problem and are satisfied with their decision. I'm asking this question because I'm very interested in politics, I come from Poland, so I prefer to get the opinion of a person who actually feels the effects of Brexit. I'm counting on your answer.

It's no disaster but it is all a little depressing with lots of irritating aspects and the overall economic impact of it has been negative. We are yet to see either of the mooted big gains from it (lower immigration and great trade deals outside the EU) and as was predicted, Northern Ireland and Brexit = clusterfuck.

Perhaps the most depressing aspect is the way the uber leavers keep pretending it could have been better were it not for some imagined betrayal by the government. No it couldn't.

Are there upsides? Yes, we won't be long term paying ~£10B a year to be members of club that mainly benefits other members, we do have that emotionally valid but intangible 'control', we do have the opportunity to cut immigration and our ever moaning fishermen now realise they were stupid.

• I’m not at all sorry we left the EU, but I, like many, feel frustrated by the politicians dragging their heels to implement it.

We need those promised enhanced trade deals and the bonfire of EU regulations.

It’s all taking too long, but to be fair, Covid and the Ukraine war has been very distracting.

Welcome to the forum, Magdalena.

• I agree with Old Boy , and would add we now have our Sovereignty back in the hands of our elected Government of the day who are accountable to the people.

• Hi, interesting reading those previous posts,but we left the EU in 2020, yet less than 3 months later the world as we all knew it ceased to be. Lots of countries were in lockdown, in emergency mode and although we did leave the EU it meant nothing at that time as all focus was naturally elsewhere.

I cannot help but feel that people expect miracles especially in light of almost 2 lost years. Most countries were the same,so to that end its like we have only been out trade wise for just over a year.

If people take a reasonable look at the timeline and what has been realistically achieved and was achievable, imo we have done ok. There are alot of negatives in the UK right now, but I suspect they are present across Europe.

The cost of living, food, energy, fuel and even the expectations of the green lobby all paint negative pictures.

Government has to make bold and often very important unpleasant decisions, austerity post 2010 comes/came at a price, stagnated wages, low growth but imho without it we would be in serious financial difficulties now as a nation post covid.

Ukraine conflict will draw different viewpoints as will the new one in Israel, which imho has a greater significance to its effect on world peace.

Lots to take in Mags, but no post war Government has ever had to deal with this amount of major crises, yes mistakes happen, yes a few poor decisions but overall we are OK, thanks for asking.

Now, tell us a bit about you and why the question.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• As I mentioned, I am interested in politics.

I also study international economics.

I was very interested in your opinion. Especially since Poland has recently been divided into people who believe that close cooperation with the EU is necessary and people who are skeptical about some of the decisions it makes, such as: e.g. forced relocation of immigrants.

I was curious if you really regret leaving the EU, as the media often presents it. It turned out not to be the case.

Thank you again for all your answers. :)

• The way things are going with the current Polish government, it may not be too long before Poland exits the EU too and I suspect that may be behind the OP's (original poster's) question.

• I don't think Poland wants to leave the European Union. It is important to remember that the overwhelming majority of citizens are in favor of membership in the European Union and I believe that this will not change in the coming years.

• I don't think Poland wants to leave the European Union. It is important to remember that the overwhelming majority of citizens are in favor of membership in the European Union and I believe that this will not change in the coming years.

Poland wants its cake and eat it with behaviours on judiciary independence that are incompatible with EU membership. It could all end in tears.

• History may be starting to repeat itself. International integrationary policies surrounding many things may well be beneficial. Common policies, rules on goods, movement of those goods etc.

But every country has its own idiosyncrasies regarding a variety of things. For example a national dish may traditionally contain an ingredient banned by the EU. Ban its export is fine, but to tell the population of a nation you can no longer have that is red rag to a bull.

Use some imagination and you can see where that can apply.

Immigration, weights and measures so many small aspects of people's lives can be affected.

Had we stayed, how long would it have been before we were ordered to drive on the right?

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but those of us here understand we would be up in arms.

The point being lots of small things can destroy that relationship, whether as is implied thats occurring in Poland I dont know.

• But are there any national dish ingredients banned by the EU ? I very much doubt it. Sounds like another bent bananas anti EU myth.

They have banned some modern synthetics found to be harmful EG Propylparaben has been banned from food (and rightly so) but the 'non woke' traditional ingredients like squeezed juice out of red beetles (cochineal) is not just allowed, it has its own E number (E120)

• It's an analogy Steve, I have no idea if there are national dishes that may have such ingredients, but I went on to say use your imagination. No that doesn't mean fantasising about Caroline Lucas.

The point is each country does many things we don't or others don't. But when things occur that they get involved in or result in heavy handedness to comply with those EU rules it pisses off the locals. An example was the market trader in Sunderland selling his bananas by the pound. He was taken to court. Now I still go and ask for 1/2lb or a pound of, I don't think kilos or grams.

• We have closed the door on opportunities for young people to live and work in Europe .

I disagree if you are a UK Citizen living and working in the EU before 2021 you can carrying on doing so, after that all you need is the right paperwork

You’ll need a work permit to work in most EU countries if you’re a UK citizen.

In most cases, you’ll need a job offer from your chosen country so that you can get a visa to move there.

Check with the UK-based embassy of the country you want to work in to see what you need to do.

If you want to work in an EU country, check the country’s living in guide for updates.

• That’s not it at all . It’s not always our most promising talent it just young people who may want to learn a language and work their way around europe doing so doing casual work and experiencing europe .

They can’t do that now , at lest the wealthier ones can if they have the wherewithal all but poorer children cannot .

We have clipped their wings

• Ahhh, what a shame. They need to apply the 5P's,

Planning & Preperation Prevents Pisspoor Performance.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!