Why can't politicians leave EDUCATION alone

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Rishi Sunak made a pledge at his conference speech to make kids study not 4 decreasing to 3 A levels,but 5 A levels one of which must be maths.

Now, I understand that maths is important, for me the increased use of food banks says as much about a person's inability to budget as it does about their salary, especially professions such as nursing, firemen, cops etc.

But now we have Labour throwing their hat into the ring of new ideas. With its plan for what Brigitte Phillipson calls "real world maths" and the desire for higher standards.

We are supporters of higher standards, yet I can't be alone in my thinking that every year we rubbish our kids achievements in their exam results.

If pass rates are high, OH SHIT we made them too easy let's make them harder, if results are lower then let's blame the teachers who clearly aren't teaching properly.

A vicious circle, yet Maths isn't the only subject to get this crap, sex education is another biggy yet not at this moment in time, but it was very recently.

I leave you with the article and await your responses.

BBC News - Teach primary pupils real-world maths - Labour

Teach primary pupils real-world maths - Labour
    Teaching budgeting and currency exchange rates in primary schools could boost the UK economy, Labour say.
    www.bbc.co.uk

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• A level maths was primarily the calculus when I took it. Something that is not a day-to-day requirement unless you're going into engineering or science as a career. Something more related to the real world wouldn't go amiss though.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I am not saying our education system across the board doesn't need reforming, modernising and may be even restructuring, but politicians fuck up most things they touch.

These are our kids and kids don't deserve to be piggy in the middle everytime some other maggot gets elected.

Some things are bigger than politics and requires more detail more consensus and a joined up approach to delivery than one person or one party or one government can provide.

• Every new government seems to want to reorganise education along some ill thought out dogma lines. It's destructive as what schools, teachers and most importantly children is not to be used as guinea pigs for some ill thought through experiment. Teaching has never really recovered from Gove's mindless interference from 2010.

Sunak is bonkers wanting to keep all kids learning Maths till they're 18.

The staff here send me bizarre messages I'm barred from replying to and now I'm blocked from starting new conversations. icon_rolleyes.gif

This place could have been good but 'could' is so last tense. I'll be back, maybe but no one hold their breath.

• Sunak is bonkers wanting to keep all kids learning Maths till they're 18.

Mathematics is an essential subject as it gives the student the ability to problem solve in life.

Much better than teaching students how to change gender. ..................Too much Wokery being taught behind parents's backs in schools nowadays, instead of important skills to enable students to have successful careers.

The Voice of Reason

• But teaching Maths to all kids until they're 18?

Some people are never going to get differential calculus, many will never get algebra so it becomes a waste of their time, our money and scarce maths teachers.

The staff here send me bizarre messages I'm barred from replying to and now I'm blocked from starting new conversations. icon_rolleyes.gif

This place could have been good but 'could' is so last tense. I'll be back, maybe but no one hold their breath.

• Labour the Party of hate and Envy

Dozens of Labour MPs shunned private school heads who invited them to discuss the party's plan to introduce VAT on fees.

More than 40 MPs including several shadow cabinet ministers had been invited to a private reception at their Liverpool Conference to discuss the proposed tax raid. But bosses were left furious when none of them showed up.

James Lockwood, headteacher of Woodhouse Grove School in Bradford said it was 'extremely disappointing' that not one MP attended Monday's event.

He said that scrapping tax exemptions will 'hit the least wealthy families hardest' and make 'independent schooling unaffordable for those who work the hardest to afford it'. He added: 'It is disappointing that there was so little engagement from Labour

'Pupil movement from independent schools will make it harder for all parents to get the school of their choice.+

In short, we are not the enemy, we are just schools that form a valuable part of the whole education ecosystem in this country.'

Labour has U-turned on plans to abolish the charitable status of private schools. However, it will press ahead with its proposals to charge private schools 20 per cent VAT and scrap the 80 per cent relief they receive on business rates.

It means bursars could be forced to hike charges from as early as next September – effectively pricing families out of fee-paying schools.

The Independent Schools Council, which hosted the reception, said: 'Headteachers and schools are keen to talk with their MP to look at the local implications of Labour's proposed policy.

'We are disappointed MPs did not take the opportunity to do so at Labour conference.

• Poor by Labour

• Mathematics is an essential subject as it gives the student the ability to problem solve in life.

Much better than teaching students how to change gender. ..................Too much Wokery being taught behind parents's backs in schools nowadays, instead of important skills to enable students to have successful careers.

Well said

• But teaching Maths to all kids until they're 18?

Some people are never going to get differential calculus, many will never get algebra so it becomes a waste of their time, our money and scarce maths teachers.

I agree, Steve. Not everyone is good at Maths, and some people just cannot grasp that we all have different skills.

I think we should make more effort to help children who perform badly and make sure the worst performers are literate and can do basic arithmetic and can manage their finances. Trying to teach algebra to most children is irrelevant - they will never use it in every day life after leaving school.

Educate according to ability is what we should be doing.

• I don't know where this argument on which part of maths Rishi is supposedly pushing, so far as I know he has just stated maths.

It is Labour that is now jumping on the education go round and stating everyday maths.

Both make sense, but it does seem rather opportunist of Labour to release this now.

That said, whoever gets elected has the con.

The point is its the kids that bare the brunt of politicians vanity projects. There should imho be some sort of working body comprising all respective parties.

That doesn't include kids and parents, although there should be consultation, it should also be cross party and binding on any incumbent government.

• Cross party support on all the major things in life would be useful.

It’s just a game to some unfortunately, be in education, health or whatever. It’s all very tiresome.

• many will never get algebra

Me being one of them. I lost interest in maths when it got to that. I can add, subtract, divide, multiply and I understand fractions and percentages. What else do I need in life. I learned things about the Golden Ratio and the maths behind it when older and when it was relevant to what I was doing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!