The future for South Africa - what happened?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • A Decade After Mandela’s Death South Africa in ‘Decay’
    Former comrades, family and analysts say he would have been disappointed at the state of South Africa today.
    www.voanews.com

This is so disappointing for the population of South Africa. Nelson Mandela offered hope, but that has been squandered by the corruption-ridden ANC.

When Mandela came to power, there was such optimism, and I would have thought that one of the first things that would have been done would be to announce a massive house building programme. But, due it seems to greed and sheer opportunism, nothing happened, and now we see services failing and increasing criminal activity and violence.

So what hope is there for a better future for South Africans? Is it some decent opposition parties to rise up or will the ANC reform itself?

I hope for the sake of the South African people they get a decent, reforming government in charge soon.

• Thanks for the good wishes, OB.

Things are bad at the moment. Elections municipal coming up soon and general next year. Opposition is excellent but lacks mainstream support. Opposition does have some alliance support and the ANC has weakened over the years and is constantly weakening, but all it takes is a small majority and we get it again for more corruption.

The crime is quite insane and the violence that goes with it also. I could scream a lot of the time, but what's the use?

• Thanks for the good wishes, OB.

Things are bad at the moment. Elections municipal coming up soon and general next year. Opposition is excellent but lacks mainstream support. Opposition does have some alliance support and the ANC has weakened over the years and is constantly weakening, but all it takes is a small majority and we get it again for more corruption.

The crime is quite insane and the violence that goes with it also. I could scream a lot of the time, but what's the use?

Looking from afar corruption appears to be an endemic problem in most of Sub Saharan Africa

Mandela was a huge figure,it was never likely that South Africa could find a replacement with 1/2 his stature

• Close friend of the wife's has gone back to South Africa to see her family for Christmas, she claims the violence on the streets has always been there but getting much worse , the unemployed are very angry xenophobia is increasing they blame migrants from neighbouring countries taking jobs

• Yes, it's bad. It's also getting worse. It's so bad one can't believe it can get worse, but things seem always able to get worse. Seldom do these situations get better. Once they are on a roll, they roll downhill by default.

Add power cuts, power failures, water delivery problems, increasing unemployment, runaway migration into SA, rapid emigration out of SA, and incredible graft, reverse racism by government and surging price increases and you have a picture of impending disaster. The roads are perilous, full of potholes and the crime is so bad no one would believe you if you told them just how bad. You are constantly stressed because you never know if you are going to get through any day without becoming a victim. Everyone has friends and relatives who have been killed.

• SA is hard to believe and few want to listen to us when we tell them what has happened. But when you look at what has happened to America and the UK and other places it isn't hard to figure out what the end will be like. No one is doing anything but shifting about trying to accommodate strange injunctions to forget one's own safety, future and opinions, heritage and rights and bow to those of an instituted Multikulti now increasingly governed by the ideology of Woke.

• SA is hard to believe and few want to listen to us when we tell them what has happened. But when you look at what has happened to America and the UK and other places it isn't hard to figure out what the end will be like. No one is doing anything but shifting about trying to accommodate strange injunctions to forget one's own safety, future and opinions, heritage and rights and bow to those of an instituted Multikulti now increasingly governed by the ideology of Woke.

LW personally I don’t think the UK faces quite the same existential threat to society that you have in Africa

I read that a big part of the problem in Africa is tribal , would you agree ?

• No, I wouldn't agree TB because tribal is an aspect of all cultures living with other cultures in one nation. I think (and this is just my opinion) that people mistake tribalism for some sort of social evil that, if eradicated, will result in community harmony. People will simply form new tribal groups.

The problems with multiculturalism, as it is interpreted in our time, is that it is an attempt to get rid of cultures by making them all one and then eliminating that culture as well until there is this singularity that is global. Why this is so important is beyond me. But it has been an obsession, both socially and politically for some time and is being indoctrinated, and now enforced, through ideology. I wholly reject it because I do not think "we are all the same". It is my experience that although we are all human and we are all animals and earthlings, there is a limited amount of aspects that make us "the same". I also don't fancy the term "equal" as this is rather meaningless when describing people that differ so radically from one another. Legally, one can use the term and there I agree with it. We should all be equal under the law. The law, of course, needs to be just or we all simply be oppressed equally by the law.

Things would be better if humans were not so keen on socially engineering groups into similarity and control. It won't work. There will be common interests to remove the presiding fascists and wars will break out against the globalisd states.

• The ANC inherited horrendous income and net wealth inequality but Mandela aside, its senior figures seem to have acted mostly to ensure those same senior figures had places high up on the wealth and income ladders.

Only now nearly 30 years on are they contemplating a wealth tax and one so limited in scope and intended use, it won't remove the severe inequality that produces societal stress as its horrendous crime rates show.

Hard to see a happy way forward any time soon

• People need to bear in mind that although non-Whites in the old SA were not as badly off as the majority, Whites were most certainly not all rich, happy and privileged. That is a view that persists, I notice and it is not true. The Whites were divided amongst themselves too and the days of the Republic made this much worse until things imploded through injustice, corruption and an attempt to turn what was already a police state into a military junta. Things could have been different but like so many other places on earth, things simply ran their course and ended up in the bog.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!