Mr West v The Post Office

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I watched the four episodes of the above TV Drama which I found very disturbing to say the least, the real Mr West a former Sub Postmaster did a fantastic job of Investigation into the Post Office for over 20 years,

Now the Met Police is now involved

Metropolitan Police detectives are investigating the Post Office over "potential fraud offences" committed during the Horizon scandal.

The scandal saw more than 700 Post Office branch managers handed criminal convictions after faulty Fujitsu accounting software made it appear as though money was missing.

Yard confirmed on Friday evening officers were "investigating potential fraud offences arising out of these prosecutions", for example, "monies recovered from sub-postmasters as a result of prosecutions or civil actions".

The Met told the Standard it has already been looking into potential offences of perjury and perverting the course of justice.

IMHO Great heads should roll

• It was a disaster for Sub Postmasters/Branch managers. To be entirely innocent and be found guilty because the Post Office was using defective accounting software must have been a horrendous experience. Post office Senior Management were and still are responsible for all those false convictions. They should be taken to court, fined and jailed, no ifs or buts.. They implemented the defective software. Responsibility rests on their shoulders.

The Voice of Reason

• I remember the story - so don't feel the need to watch the re-enactment.

I prefer not to know the outcome of a drama before I watch it, hence why I rarely bother to sit down and watch movies like Titanic (that I've not seen more than the odd clip of when referenced elsewhere). it would have to be a subject very close to my heart or one I had a very keen interest in for me to watch such a program/film. This doesn't tick either of those boxes.

• As with OJ's shrunken leather glove pointing directly to his guilt - conversely, it was obvious the Post Master/Branch Managers did NOTHING wrong. The contempt, and arrogance of the accusers was akin to evil.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• What channel is this drama on? I have only seen what was said when it all first happend and the Panarama episode currenty on.

Didn't pay too much attention to the adverts for it over Christmas being as it wasn't something I was looking to sit down watch, but think it was ITV.

• Yes, it was ITV1. I know a number of people who binge-watched this. I saw the first episode last night. It’s certainly worth watching and makes you think. British Justice is not all it’s cracked up to be.

🆕↔️MR BATES Vs THE POST OFFICE
    Drama based on the true story of the poster masters who faced court action and imprisonment due to a flawed computer system.
    📲ITV1
    🖥️ITVX

• According to the latest news it is now thought that about 700 Sub Post Masters may have been wrongly convicted of Theft or False Accounting as not all of them have come forward.

The Post Officer Investigation Branch is the oldest investigation unit in the world it was formed back in 1783 and given the power to deal with alleged crimes within the postal system.

What concerned me after watching the Drama were the Postmasters treated as badly as it showed in the Drama in a very over bearing manner or was that just poetic licence probably IMHO.

What I don't know is if the Post Office Investigators have to allow a Solicitor present when they were interviewed under caution and all their legal rights explained to them or not, which happens if arrested by the Police as they must comply with the PACE Act.

Their is a Petition on Line demanding the former head of the Post Office that presided over this fiasco to have her CBE taken away from her over a million have voted yes so far.

Hopefully the Government get things moving to deal with the largest Miscarriage of Justice ever in the UK quickly

• Their is a Petition on Line demanding the former head of the Post Office that presided over this fiasco to have her CBE taken away from her over a million have voted yes so far.

Ed Davey demands people resign when they've done wrong - so now HE should quit
    AS an object lesson in how powerful people evade responsibility, Ed Davey’s letter to Post Office campaigner Alan Bates could hardly be bettered. At the time…
    www.thesun.co.uk

Scrap his knighthood as well.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• It was obvious in 2009 that something was seriously wrong. I recall reading the Computer Weekly articles at the time that revealed it.

Vennells isn't the only senior person to have decided it was better for them to just toe the easy line and kick the problem down the road hoping it'd go away or it'd be someone else's problem. Take away all honours and political positions. Ed Davey should resign now if he really cares about his party.

And those that perjured themselves or knowingly pursued wrongful prosecutions need locking up on a throw away the key basis.

• I agree but I doubt it will happen. Ask yourselves why has this story come to light again after all this time. Then notice how the media keep banging on about Starmer being the prosecutor at the time. The Tories couldn't give a fuck and all they care about is scoring points over Labour. This is about the run up to elections not justice for victims.

• Former Post Office boss Paula Vennells is to hand back her CBE following the fallout of the Horizon IT scandal which led to the wrongful prosecution of hundreds of sub postmasters.

The former chief executive, who ran the Post Office while it routinely denied there was a problem with its Horizon IT system, was appointed a CBE in December 2018.

• I agree but I doubt it will happen. Ask yourselves why has this story come to light again after all this time. Then notice how the media keep banging on about Starmer being the prosecutor at the time. The Tories couldn't give a fuck and all they care about is scoring points over Labour. This is about the run up to elections not justice for victims.

I think you are being a tad cynical there Norra ;)

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• You have to give credit to ITV for making it front page news again

ITV have a long track record of making dramas based on real events. I am not utterly convinced that they are absolutely faithful to actual events but for the sake of dramatisation there has to be some license.

I think they give a good idea of what happened, who was involved and the key events and certainly for me the stir my curiosity to go and find out more for myself.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• The lowest of the low.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• ITV have a long track record of making dramas based on real events. I am not utterly convinced that they are absolutely faithful to actual events but for the sake of dramatisation there has to be some license.

I think they give a good idea of what happened, who was involved and the key events and certainly for me the stir my curiosity to go and find out more for myself.

They did state that the Drama was based on true events , and made it clear that some of the scenes were imaginary

• According to a report by The Telegraph, Tony Blair was warned about the flawed Post Office Horizon computer system that led to hundreds of wrongful prosecutions. Officials had informed Blair in 1998 that the Horizon system was “increasingly flawed” 1.

A BBC News article states that Stephen Byers, a former minister, told a public inquiry into the Post Office Horizon scandal that the contract for the faulty software was “fatally flawed”

It should have been dealt with back then, Fujitsu should now pay the Postmasters compensation and all their legal fees etc not the Tax Payers Fujitsu have made millions from contracts with the UK Government over the years

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!