Mr West v The Post Office

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I agree but I doubt it will happen. Ask yourselves why has this story come to light again after all this time. Then notice how the media keep banging on about Starmer being the prosecutor at the time. The Tories couldn't give a fuck and all they care about is scoring points over Labour. This is about the run up to elections not justice for victims.

It’s the Tories under Boris that got the whole thing moving. Rishi as Chancellor found the necessary money for the compensation.

• Just finished watching all four episodes. I really enjoyed it but without giving any spoilers there was one scene I shall mention as I found it rather disturbing which is unusual for me, and that was the second episode where they showed a clip of one of the postmasters getting electric shock treatment for...shall we say, depression.

What this series does show is how easy it is for big boy companies etc to use their extensive funding to drag out a case and attempts to win by making the claimant skint or tired of fighting or worse. It also brings into question how much we rely on computers for accountancy and how easy this can be manipulated. How many of us truly know how accurate our bank accounts are for example. How many of us know if we have truly been taxed appropriately or do we simply rely on the tax office to spot discrepancies and give us a rebate. How many of these rely on a third party tech company and its not only currency but personal data in general. This is one reason why identity fraud is the number one biggest crime that has overtaken the illegal drug market. All it takes is a rogue employee and even illegal immigrants need things like a passport if they are to legally work. We had one at work once but authorities eventually caught up with him after years of being employed and deported him

There's also the question over companies that force employees to not whistleblow even when they are well aware that said company is committing a criminal act like fraud. This is akin to the official secrets act but obviously there are differences there but in such cases even the official secrets act should be allowed to be broken when you see such cases such as that over the Iraq war.

• She has returned her CBE.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• ITV have a long track record of making dramas based on real events. I am not utterly convinced that they are absolutely faithful to actual events but for the sake of dramatisation there has to be some license.

I think they give a good idea of what happened, who was involved and the key events and certainly for me the stir my curiosity to go and find out more for myself.

And of course they managed to give an easy to grasp visualisation of how devastating it all was to innocent peoples lives.

• It’s the Tories under Boris that got the whole thing moving. Rishi as Chancellor found the necessary money for the compensation.

No he didn't, he came to power over 4 years ago and that was 10 years after the problem was known. He was as determined to kick the can down the road as all the others. He did absolutely nothing until after the courts started overthrowing the convictions and then delivered nothing on what he promised then despite being in office for another year.

• Victims of Post Office horizon scandal to benefit from new compensation scheme
    A new funding scheme that will ensure postmasters who played a crucial role in uncovering the Post Office Horizon IT scandal receive their fair share of…
    www.gov.uk

[EXTRACT]

A new funding scheme that will ensure postmasters who played a crucial role in uncovering the Post Office Horizon IT scandal receive their fair share of compensation was announced by the Chancellor today (Tuesday March 22).

For your information. And this was in 2022, before the TV series publicised this. It puts the lie to the claim that the Conservatives did not care about this (and by implication, shamed into action by the programme).

• https://www.gov.uk/government/new…ensation-scheme

[EXTRACT]

A new funding scheme that will ensure postmasters who played a crucial role in uncovering the Post Office Horizon IT scandal receive their fair share of compensation was announced by the Chancellor today (Tuesday March 22).

For your information. And this was in 2022, before the TV series publicised this. It puts the lie to the claim that the Conservatives did not care about this (and by implication, shamed into action by the programme).

Tony Blair the warmonger was told about the problem back in 1998

• According to a report by The Telegraph, Tony Blair was warned about the flawed Post Office Horizon computer system that led to hundreds of wrongful prosecutions. Officials had informed Blair in 1998 that the Horizon system was “increasingly flawed” 1.

A BBC News article states that Stephen Byers, a former minister, told a public inquiry into the Post Office Horizon scandal that the contract for the faulty software was “fatally flawed”

It should have been dealt with back then, Fujitsu should now pay the Postmasters compensation and all their legal fees etc not the Tax Payers Fujitsu have made millions from contracts with the UK Government over the years

Byers did indeed say that but it's worth remembering that he and Blair's government inherited a buggers muddle of a situation from the previous government who'd overseen giving ICL (the Fujitsu subsidiary) the contact in 1996.

When you read Byers evidence it's clear the new government were stuffed which ever way they turned on Horizon and ICL was strong arming them. He's unclear though as to what the actual fatal flaws were - it looks like no liquidated damages or ultimate liabilities were borne by ICL. But here's the rub: no IT company would have bid for or accepted such a contract.

Where Fujitsu/ICL really do have to answer questions is:

• being experts in the field did they chose not to use the (expensive) design and verification procedures required for financial systems software (ie trusted software)
    • did they at any time give false assurances about the state of the software when released live and
    • when asked in court

I think it's clear the answers are going to be yes, yes and yes and that gives them legal liabilities that transcend any contract.

And before you ask or impugn, yes I am an expert on trusted system software.

• https://www.gov.uk/government/new…ensation-scheme

[EXTRACT]

How awkward for you that no or very few payouts seem to have been made under that scheme.

A year later they were only promising a 'full and final" capped figure to be paid to those who had proven their convictions were wrong with no further cover of legal expenses.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2023-09-18/debates/FCCF1037-2F9C-4E6B-9777-54E9624BFB08/PostOfficeCompensation

Your Conservative government that was in office when these prosecutions were pursued using tax payers money just does not want to grasp that a fair settlement is likely to exceed £1million each and increasing with every delay.

• Vennells can not hand back a CBE. Only the KIng can take it off her on the recommendation of the PM.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• What they should do is put Vennells and Davies in stocks in Parliament square and charge members of the public a fee to throw rotten fruit at them and then the proceeds go towards the compensation fund coming from the tax payer.

• How awkward for you that no payouts made under that scheme.

A year later they were only promising a 'full and final" capped figure to be paid to those who had proven their convictions were wrong with no further cover of legal expenses.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2023-0…iceCompensation

Your Conservative government that was in office when these prosecutions were pursued using tax payers money just does not want to grasp that a fair settlement is likely to exceed £1million each and increasing with every delay.

You are clutching at straws with that argument, Steve! Labour did nothing while they were in power. Johnson’s government recognised the injustice and decided to do something about it.

You need to recognise that this is not an easy one to deal with, and unfortunately, these processes take time.

• You are clutching at straws with that argument, Steve! Labour did nothing while they were in power. Johnson’s government recognised the injustice and decided to do something about it.

You need to recognise that this is not an easy one to deal with, and unfortunately, these processes take time.

They did nothing about it, you've been given their own admission to the House on the matter.

Go on tell us with evidence how many actual payouts were made under that 2022 announcement.

• I said that Rishi Sunak set up the compensation scheme. So the money is there, but it has to go through a court process.

You said the Conservatives didn't care about these people. I was making the point that Johnson's government saw the problem and decided to speed things along. Rishi set up the compensation payment scheme and made the money available. They would not have done that if they didn't care, would thsy?

At no point did I say anything about payments actually being made. That, obviously, is subject to a process, which the government is attempting to speed up as we speak.

• Vennels can only start the process to hand back her CBE which is dealt with by the Forfeiture Committee which is run by Sir Chris Warmwold once that is done the King is then asked to rubber stamp it,

• I said that Rishi Sunak set up the compensation scheme. So the money is there, but it has to go through a court process.

You said the Conservatives didn't care about these people. I was making the point that Johnson's government saw the problem and decided to speed things along. Rishi set up the compensation payment scheme and made the money available. They would not have done that if they didn't care, would thsy?

At no point did I say anything about payments actually being made. That, obviously, is subject to a process, which the government is attempting to speed up as we speak.

No they said that they had decided to speed things along

They said a lot of things foe effect that weren't true or they had no real intention of delivering on, maybe you're the last person to realise that

• Politicians have to say something. It is hardly good policy, after announcing the date for an election to say: "Fuxk the Post masters, I hope they rot in hell" What did you expect them to say?

• Politicians have to say something. It is hardly good policy, after announcing the date for an election to say: "Fuxk the Post masters, I hope they rot in hell" What did you expect them to say?

True but when they’re all reacting to a TV program rather than the real events it looks very much like bandwagon jumping

• True but when they’re all reacting to a TV program rather than the real events it looks very much like bandwagon jumping

What Sunak and the Government are going to do and intentions are will probably be revealed in the House today, even before the Drama was showed they have been addressing this huge Miscarriage of Justice and that process is ongoing.

• True but when they’re all reacting to a TV program rather than the real events it looks very much like bandwagon jumping

Yes I agree, it tends to be a downhill snowball effect.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!