What will become of Nato if the US leaves?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • because trump wants it so …

I am pretty certain he has never said anything of the sort.

I know what he said, are you sure you are not misinterpreting what he actually said?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• It will shake them up if the USA leaves. The USA wants their input money to have influence. Thats right and proper. Trump is no mug.

If by chance, NATO collapsed it would not make any difference. Sovereignty of a state/country has far more value.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• I am pretty certain he has never said anything of the sort.

I know what he said, are you sure you are not misinterpreting what he actually said?

he said so several times …..

that the US wil not come and help if Europe is attacked

• I admire politicians who put their country first. A so-called leader who attends meetings with NATO or UN et al. with their tail between their legs is NOT a leader.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• he said so several times …..

that the US wil not come and help if Europe is attacked

I don't think he ever said that - he has questioned the continued relevance of NATO and he has said that member states should pay their fair share - a notable country that does not pay the agreed 2% of GDP to NATO is Germany. Since fact checking is so popular at the moment...

What's Trump's Position on NATO? - FactCheck.org
    Hillary Clinton went too far when she claimed that Donald Trump said "we should pull out of NATO." Trump said that he would "certainly look at" pulling the…
    www.factcheck.org

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• It will shake them up if the USA leaves. The USA wants their input money to have influence. Thats right and proper. Trump is no mug.

If by chance, NATO collapsed it would not make any difference. Sovereignty of a state/country has far more value.

i think if Nato collapsed, the European states would get Russia.dominated ……

• Do you think that the USA would stand back and let Russia take western Europe into its domain?

• Do you think that the USA would stand back and let Russia take western Europe into its domain?

Some admire Trump because of his unpredictability

That might be useful when dealing with potential enemies but it not a useful trait when the US is supposed to be in an alliance

If Trump doesn’t 100% come out in support of NATO then it’s potential enemies will see that as weakness

• Donald has said many times that there are some countries failing to pay their share to support NATO. A threat to withdraw US money should encourage those tight fisted countries to step up to the plate.

The Voice of Reason

• A US withdrawal from NATO would see its status as a superpower diminished

The US is used to projecting its power around the world but it pulled its forces out of its European & European controlled bases around the world their ability to project that power would be severely reduced

• Donald has said many times that there are some countries failing to pay their share to support NATO. A threat to withdraw US money should encourage those tight fisted countries to step up to the plate.

Mr Trump has been a long-standing critic of the alliance - made up of 29 European and two North American states - claiming other members have not paid their way, and even threatening to pull out of the longstanding partnership.
    While it was true the some states weren’t paying what they should we now have a war in Europe & things have changed

Has Trump ?

• Mr Trump has been a long-standing critic of the alliance - made up of 29 European and two North American states - claiming other members have not paid their way, and even threatening to pull out of the longstanding partnership.
    While it was true the some states weren’t paying what they should we now have a war in Europe & things have changed

Has Trump ?

The elephant in the room is not Trump or the USA, it is wriggling around the fact that some European countries are not keeping up their end of the NATO funding agreement. I really don't think Trump is likely to pull the plug on NATO but he will take the Alpha-dog role of bullying non-compliant nations into line. That is his style, it is not diplomatic and the hyper-sensitive liberals who get hung up on words rather than sentiment will try to make much of this.

The answer is simple, pay what you're supposed to when it is supposed to be paid and everything will be fine.

• The elephant in the room is not Trump or the USA, it is wriggling around the fact that some European countries are not keeping up their end of the NATO funding agreement. I really don't think Trump is likely to pull the plug on NATO but he will take the Alpha-dog role of bullying non-compliant nations into line. That is his style, it is not diplomatic and the hyper-sensitive liberals who get hung up on words rather than sentiment will try to make much of this.

The answer is simple, pay what you're supposed to when it is supposed to be paid and everything will be fine.

As I say the world has changed since then , the conflict in Ukraine has focused minds & a Russian victory will significantly change the European political map

At least publicly ,nothing less than 100% support for NATO from Trump will do & I’m pretty sure that won’t happen

• BRUSSELS — One of Europe's most senior politicians recounted how former U.S. President Donald Trump privately warned that America would not come to the EU's aid if it was attacked militarily.

"You need to understand that if Europe is under attack we will never come to help you and to support you," Trump told European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in 2020, according to French European Commissioner Thierry Breton, who was also present at a meeting at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

"By the way, NATO is dead, and we will leave, we will quit NATO," Trump also said, according to Breton. "And he added, ‘and by the way, you owe me $400 billion, because you didn’t pay, you Germans, what you had to pay for defense,'" Breton said about the tense meeting, where the EU's then-trade chief Phil Hogan was also present.

There is also an interview with John Bolton on YouTube , he thinks it’s very likely that Trump would pull the US out of NATO

• BRUSSELS — One of Europe's most senior politicians recounted how former U.S. President Donald Trump privately warned that America would not come to the EU's aid if it was attacked militarily.

"You need to understand that if Europe is under attack we will never come to help you and to support you," Trump told European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in 2020, according to French European Commissioner Thierry Breton, who was also present at a meeting at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

"By the way, NATO is dead, and we will leave, we will quit NATO," Trump also said, according to Breton. "And he added, ‘and by the way, you owe me $400 billion, because you didn’t pay, you Germans, what you had to pay for defense,'" Breton said about the tense meeting, where the EU's then-trade chief Phil Hogan was also present.

There is also an interview with John Bolton on YouTube , he thinks it’s very likely that Trump would pull the US out of NATO

What was the underlying message in that - what was the take away for you?

For me it was all about getting something for free and losing the good will.

Whose good will and whose not paying for it?

Like I said the elephant in the room is the European countries and their disingenuous argument that Trump is the one threatening NATO when it is they who are, by their own inaction and non-compliance, putting the whole thing at risk.

Pay what you fucking owe, it really is that simple.

• Merlot, there may be a hint of truth in the Trump wants the USA to leave NATO, but if one looks back in history where America participated or instigated, they never do so alone. Like now in Yemen, the LAPDAWG in the for of the UK is right there with them.

It's about money with Trump, he had to battle for every cent during his tenure as President, but saving 2+% of America's GDP is a big saving, but add in the extras that they give over and above and it's huge.

Trump rightly imo highlighted those that freeload by not paying their way, thus unable to reasonably play the part they signed up to do. He was untested I believe during his tenure, Kim Jong UN and Putin reacted to him positively, maybe it's his ineffable charm 🤮. But the conflicts ongoing aren't going to just desist because the INEFFABLE one regains the con.

Let's not forget he is a businessman, war or supporting others at war is expensive and that's not good business.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!