Measles spreading after falling vaccination rates

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • All those anti-vaxxers must be so proud as low vaccination rates result in predictable appalling consequences.

'"Children who get measles can be very poorly and some will suffer life-changing complications.'

Measles: Urgent action needed to stop outbreak spreading across towns and cities, say health experts
    A national incident has been declared by the authorities signalling the growing public health risk in the face of falling vaccination rates, as people are…
    news.sky.com

Currently ignoring Echo 10

• I've had Rubella (German Measles), Chickenpox and Measles as a kid. No biggie if you catch it when young. Just make sure to have plenty of the pink stuff around, Calamine lotion. It's a couple of weeks off school and itching for the child. I'd been vaccinated too so not sure why I got Measles and Chickenpox, I don't remember having German Measles but was told I had it as a baby. I remember going to the clinic with my mum and playing in the playhouse and then getting my injections in the corner room by the nurse at around 5 or 6 years old. The injections must have been a horrifying experience for me.

It's when an adult or past puberty where it can be a problem if you catch measles so it's good to get it out the way when young. I don't think anyone can catch it twice or it's rare. What's more concerning IMO is the return of Rickets due to poverty, bad diets and a lack of sunshine. I'd also add the loss of the milk rounds in primary schools these days too. That calcium intake is important for growing bones. Teenage acne can be worse than measles and can leave permanent scaring. TB is also on the increase. Do they still do BCG's at seconadry school for that. The nit nurse is another loss from schools. All the things that where taken for granted that kids today wont get. NHS glasses and dental treatment too.

• It's no biggie for most kids if they catch it young but even then it can cause permanent blindness and brain damage.

Measles
    Measles remains one of the leading causes of death among young children globally, despite the availability of a safe and effective vaccine.
    www.who.int
    Measles
    Find out about measles, a highly infectious viral illness that can be very unpleasant and sometimes lead to serious complications.
    www.nhs.uk

'These problems are rare, but some people are more at risk. This includes babies'

• And these complications are rare and with those with weakened immune systems. Mmmm I wonder where we have heard that before. Look at the list of possible side effects they list with every drug. This is like a company listing terms and conditions to cover themselves legally but in reality it's a non issue until in the rare case it exists. The biggest issue with measles is irreversible damage to sperm production and fertility problems, epsecially females in adults that catch measles. It's obviously also extremely bad to catch measles if pregnant.

• I had the four main bugs as a young child and also glandular fever. We had very few jabs available then.

Best not to get any of these as an adult though chicken pox can rear it's head as shingles in later life.

Strangely my sister had German measles ( Rubella ) three times.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I had the four main bugs as a young child and also glandular fever. We had very few jabs available then.

Best not to get any of these as an adult though chicken pox can rear it's head as shingles in later life.

Strangely my sister had German measles ( Rubella ) three times.

I think we are all of the generation that caught these disease's as children ,generally without any lasting effects

That said they are all diseases that can be far more problematic for adults , Rubella in particular can cause problems for pregnant women & their children

• And these complications are rare and with those with weakened immune systems. Mmmm I wonder where we have heard that before. Look at the list of possible side effects they list with every drug. This is like a company listing terms and conditions to cover themselves legally but in reality it's a non issue until in the rare case it exists. The biggest issue with measles is irreversible damage to sperm production and fertility problems, epsecially females in adults that catch measles. It's obviously also extremely bad to catch measles if pregnant.

They're rare because until recently and those anti vax bastards got going again, measles was very rare.

'For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it. As many as one out of every 20 children with measles gets pneumonia, the most common cause of death from measles in young children. About one child out of every 1,000 who get measles will develop encephalitis (swelling of the brain) that can lead to convulsions and can leave the child deaf or with intellectual disability.'

Measles | Newsroom | Global Health | CDC

• All those anti-vaxxers must be so proud as low vaccination rates result in predictable appalling consequences.

'"Children who get measles can be very poorly and some will suffer life-changing complications.'

https://news.sky.com/story/measles-…xperts-13049979

I had measles as a kid, everyone got it. It wasn’t considered a problem, just a childhood illness that you needed to catch. They used to have chicken pox parties so all the kids could catch it at the same time. I never caught mumps and have never even seen it. A friend of mine caught it in his twenties though and lost a bollock.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• We never let our kids have the MMR jab. We paid to have single jabs but that has now been outlawed. I’m not surprised uptake has declined. The MMR jab is held in great suspicion but fiercely defended by the medical profession and big pharma. Safe and effective…

… where have I heard that before?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I had measles as a kid, everyone got it. It wasn’t considered a problem, just a childhood illness that you needed to catch. They used to have chicken pox parties so all the kids could catch it at the same time. I never caught mumps and have never even seen it. A friend of mine caught it in his twenties though and lost a bollock.

It wasn't considered a problem because there was no vaccine available and the disease being so infectious meant everyone got it and it was supposedly better to plan when a kid risked blindness, brain damage and death than leave it to chance.

But those blindness, brain damage and deaths still occurred and are now avoidable. What idiot would subject their kid to the real risk of those just because some arse on Facebook or worse some fraud with a financial interest in a rival vaccine tells them different

• It wasn't considered a problem because there was no vaccine available and the disease being so infectious meant everyone got it and it was supposedly better to plan when a kid risked blindness, brain damage and death than leave it to chance.

But those blindness, brain damage and deaths still occurred and are now avoidable. What idiot would subject their kid to the real risk of those just because some arse on Facebook or worse some fraud with a financial interest in a rival vaccine tells them different

You’d be surprised. I wonder about people sometimes.

• But those blindness, brain damage and deaths still occurred and are now avoidable. What idiot would subject their kid to the real risk of those just because some arse on Facebook or worse some fraud with a financial interest in a rival vaccine tells them different

How many do you personally know that have had life changing issues as a result of measles? Everybody I went to school with had it and nobody was harmed, now extend that to all the people that you know and all the people they know and as with all these medical doomsday warnings we will eventually find somebody somewhere that falls into this life changing damage category and consequently discover the minuscule numbers involved that are directing policy.

…anticipating Steve to counter with a link to a learned report illustrating that the problem is far worse than I say at this point…even though most people couldn’t name a single victim of measles harm.

Let’s get back to medical harms caused by MMR vaccine, the one we are not allowed to talk about. I could take you personally to half a dozen kids varying in age from mid twenties to under tens who have all been harmed by MMR. Of course the medical profession absolutely deny that MMR was the trigger to the autism but then this is the eternal struggle that goes on in this subject.

• Are you Andrew Wakefield?

You know the evidence is against you and I don't believe your 'I could take you personally to half a dozen kids varying in age from mid twenties to under tens who have all been harmed by MMR.'

Since most kids get MMR and some kids do fall foul of all sorts of conditions it's a false assertion to pretend that shows MMR did it. You'd have to show that no kids that didn't have MMR didn't get those conditions - best of luck trying that.

https://news.sky.com/story/measles-…xperts-13049979

You can't call these people anti-vaxxers as not all of them are. Some people (especially in some religious groups) refuse vaccines on religious grounds as opposed to those that refuse it because they think it causes autism etc.

A lot of these people would be in the muslim community, the same ones who would also refuse the covid vaccines.

• You can't call these people anti-vaxxers as not all of them are. Some people (especially in some religious groups) refuse vaccines on religious grounds as opposed to those that refuse it because they think it causes autism etc.

A lot of these people would be in the muslim community, the same ones who would also refuse the covid vaccines.

Yes that is a big problem but the anti vaxxers encourage them EG by spreading false stories that all vaccines include pork. While vaccine refusal rates are known to be higher in monority communities I've seen no stats to show they make up the larger proportion of the unvaccinated.

• Yes that is a big problem but the anti vaxxers encourage them EG by spreading false stories that all vaccines include pork. While vaccine refusal rates are known to be higher in monority communities I've seen no stats to show they make up the larger proportion of the unvaccinated.

I think you will find ethnic minority groups have more vaccine refusal rates than the (so called) anti-vaxxers. It is highest in black, pakistani and bangladeshi groups, which are prevalent in the areas where there has been the biggest increase in your article you posted. I would say the (so called) anti-vaxxers have equal distribution across the country and would be predominantly white women, but in much less numbers than the ethnic minority groups mentioned earlier.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!