New Brexit Deal ... Power Sharing To Return to Ireland ?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Two years ago Boris decided to throw Northern Ireland under the bus and the DUP have been in limbo ever since. If we were in their position, we wouldn't have liked the Brexit deal either.

And although it has been about Brexit, NI being treated to the rest of the UK, ultimately this is about the UK relinquishing a part of its country to another and the DUP know that.

It's game, set and match to the IRA and the nationalists know it, which is why they have been crowing about a united Ireland all day on tv. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it won't be ten years either. It will be a lot sooner.

• It has to be good news. Never thought Donaldson had it in him so credit to him.

The DUP have taken the customary bung , 3 £billion this time & , swallowed their pride

Could it be something to with it being a General Election year ?

It sounds like good news but I’m not convinced

• Two years ago Boris decided to throw Northern Ireland under the bus and the DUP have been in limbo ever since. If we were in their position, we wouldn't have liked the Brexit deal either.

And although it has been about Brexit, NI being treated to the rest of the UK, ultimately this is about the UK relinquishing a part of its country to another and the DUP know that.

It's game, set and match to the IRA and the nationalists know it, which is why they have been crowing about a united Ireland all day on tv. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it won't be ten years either. It will be a lot sooner.

The sooner we ditch Northern Ireland the better for the UK & for NI

Anyone in NI who isn’t a hardcore unionist is going to be looking at the Irish economy & thinking we could be part of that .

• Two years ago Boris decided to throw Northern Ireland under the bus and the DUP have been in limbo ever since. . .

Actually it was 8 years ago and the DUP decided to throw Northern Ireland under the bus by campaigning for a Brexit they knew full well would cause massive problems for Northern Ireland. And ever since they've been trying to disown their own shit.

Currently ignoring Echo 10

• Actually it was 8 years ago and the DUP decided to throw Northern Ireland under the bus by campaigning for a Brexit they knew full well would cause massive problems for Northern Ireland. And ever since they've been trying to disown their own shit.

The DUP knew Brexit would cause problems for the GFA & they knew they were destined to become the junior partner at Stormont

I believe they thought they could use Brexit to enhance their position but it looks like they failed

• The new compromise on the trading border in Ulster is a shocking one.. It doesn't address properly the difficulties that the EU has imposed on the UK as a whole. .

It's just a mash up to try and get the NI assembly back up and running again but it doesn't go far enough so the assembly will fail once more.

IMHO. The EU is trying to disrupt trade and cohesion among the countries of the UK out of spite because we left.

The good people of Ulster deserves much better than that idiotic compromise. They want their future stabilized and secure. This does nothing to improve peoples lives or future..

The Voice of Reason

• The new compromise on the trading border in Ulster is a shocking one.. It doesn't address properly the difficulties that the EU has imposed on the UK as a whole. .

It's just a mash up to try and get the NI assembly back up and running again but it doesn't go far enough so the assembly will fail once more.

IMHO. The EU is trying to disrupt trade and cohesion among the countries of the UK out of spite because we left.

The good people of Ulster deserves much better than that idiotic compromise. They want their future stabilized and secure. This does nothing to improve peoples lives or future..

Their lives can only be improved when the people they elected to Stormont start doing the job they have been paid for the last 2 years to do

• Their lives can only be improved when the people they elected to Stormont start doing the job they have been paid for the last 2 years to do

I agree, BUT this botch up over the Trading border means that there will never be any satisfaction for our fellow UK residents in Ulster. It's time we had a government with enough courage to tell the EU to but out of UK affairs.

The Voice of Reason

• I agree, BUT this botch up over the Trading border means that there will never be any satisfaction for our fellow UK residents in Ulster. It's time we had a government with enough courage to tell the EU to but out of UK affairs.

You might not like it but SF is now the biggest party in NI

I don’t know if they would win a border poll but it would be close if they had it now , give it 5 years & my guess is that will happen & that the Nationalists/Republicans will win

• You might not like it but SF is now the biggest party in NI

I don’t know if they would win a border poll but it would be close if they had it now , give it 5 years & my guess is that will happen & that the Nationalists/Republicans will win

What a sad country that would then be when it's ruled by Sinn Fein/ IRA ... That's tantamount to giving in to the terrorists and bombers. All those good people who were blown up, murdered and disappeared would be turning in their graves.

Ulster needs good government not back door terrorism..

The Voice of Reason

• What a sad country that would then be when it's ruled by Sinn Fein/ IRA ... That's tantamount to giving in to the terrorists and bombers. All those good people who were blown up, murdered and disappeared would be turning in their graves.

Ulster needs good government not back door terrorism..

Personally I think it’s time

I’ve been travelling to Ireland on & off for over 30 years

The republic has changed enormously in that time

In the early nineties Ireland was a bit backwards & the Catholic Church still dominated politics

30 years later the economy is booming & Ireland has a confidence in its future that I don’t think was ever there before

Of course there are still problems particularly in the North but I don’t think the Protestants in the North need to feel they would be marginalised like perhaps they would 30 years ago

If I were SF I’d be talking about how unionist/ Protestants could feel part of a united Ireland

• been travelling to Ireland on & off for over 30 years

The republic has changed enormously in that time

Sorry TR but WTF has the republic got to do with it?

We are talking about a British Province in Northern Ireland, with potentially another group of subjects totally pissed at the UK government feeling like they weren't wanted.

Varadkar was a complete CNUT during the Brexit negotiations and personally I would not have had him there period. Even he last year admitted they behaved badly.

Do unto others as they would do unto you, then plead temporary insanitary 😂. :saint:

• Sorry TR but WTF has the republic got to do with it?

We are talking about a British Province in Northern Ireland, with potentially another group of subjects totally pissed at the UK government feeling like they weren't wanted.

Varadkar was a complete CNUT during the Brexit negotiations and personally I would not have had him there period. Even he last year admitted they behaved badly.

I don’t really see the Unionist in NI as truly British , They have always wanted a connection with the UK mainland but always on their terms

They are Irish people who don’t want to be ruled from Dublin

I would describe them as a different shade of green

• I don’t really see the Unionist in NI as truly British , They have always wanted a connection with the UK mainland but always on their terms

They are Irish people who don’t want to be ruled from Dublin

I would describe them as a different shade of green

You are totally wrong.. There is not any area of the UK more loyal to the UK than the Unionists in Ulster. Yes they are Irish and proud of it, BUT having suffered decades of terrorism originating from Dublin and protected by Dublin. , I can see that they don't want anything to do with Dublin and I don't blame them.

They don't want anything connected with the different Ireland south of the wiggly border to impinge on their lives. It will take generations before the murderous actions of the PIRA terrorists or whatever they are calling themselves now is forgotten or forgiven..

The Voice of Reason

• A bit like a section of Scotland then, would you discount those?

I served with an awful lot of Irish lads, lads that even returned to NI as part of their British Army duties, along with English and Welsh lads that had married Irish lasses, whose families were still there.

Do unto others as they would do unto you, then plead temporary insanitary 😂. :saint:

• The British Troops were sent to the North to protect the Catholics from the murdering Protestants.

Cromwell murdered hundreds of thousands of Catholics. The Black n Tans were evil bastards, The Irish fought back and won against the mightiest empire ever to exist.

I Would Rather Be Hated For Telling The Truth Than Revered For Speaking A Lie.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!