Should prostitution be legalised?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Legalising sex work: both sides of the debate
    Visit the post for more.
    blogs.lse.ac.uk

I have long wondered why governments are so exercised by prostitution. Criminalisation of the practice simply forces the practice underground, pimps and other disagreeable people thrive and violence against sex workers is rife because the perpetrators know the police will have little sympathy for victims who were breaking the law anyway. Our streets are tainted with creepy men on the lookout for a prostitute and the whole thing is seedy and dangerous.

Human Rights Watch says about prostitution:

‘Criminalizing adult, voluntary, and consensual sex – including the commercial exchange of sexual services – is incompatible with the human right to personal autonomy and privacy. In short – a government should not be telling consenting adults who they can have sexual relations with and on what terms.’

I cannot help having sympathy for that statement, which seems to be common sense to me.

What is required is for all legal prostitution to take place in regulated establishments, where the prostitutes will receive appropriate care and protection.

What do you think?

• I agree with having legalized Brothels. They should be made to provide a pleasant experience in a clean well run building giving horizontal relief to passing business men. .........That way the women would be checked regularly for STI's. ........................... It's the irregular prostitutes who are 1- spreading diseases and 2- being controlled by criminals and people smugglers. ....

I don't agree with having male prostitutes spreading all sorts of diseases and they should not be allowed in any legalized establishment.

The Voice of Reason

• I don't agree with having male prostitutes spreading all sorts of diseases and they should not be allowed in any legalized establishment.

I disagree. If grown adults want to indulge themselves in this way, just let them do what they want to do. It is actually no-one else’s business.

• met and got to know a few sex workers back when I was a taxi driver covering the overnight shifts. They used to cadge cigarettes and want to sit in the cars for a bit of a warmth when the weather was bad down by the ranks.

None of them were on the game because it was their profession of choice - there was a sad story and usually an accompanying addiction behind each and every one of them and they usually had some pimp like controlling thug dealer type to to contend with to boot.

Who's ever (excuse the phrase) come across one who's doing it for the love of sex and an easy buck? If such a mythical beast exists they're in the tiniest of minorities. Besides, anyone in it it purely for the sex is what sites like "plenty of fish" are about - ie meet up with a relative stranger for a drink and have a one night stand. There's no need for a sex addict to charge for it.

I wouldn't target prostitutes themselves and criminalize what's basically desperation, they've got enough shit going on in their lives as it is - but I don't think men should be given the green light to take advantage of a desperate situation for their own sexual gratification by making them unaccountable for their part.

• Legalise sex work. Many sex workers do it because they like the work, the independence, the choice of hours and the cash - this I have heard from the horse's mouth. For the entire industry, it is the intelligent thing to do in terms of public health. And all sex workers can be bought under the protection of the law. Many are beaten up and abused because they have no recourse to this protection by dint of being engaged in an illegal practice. As sex work is the world's oldest profession, it seems futile to deny it a place in human societies. It's there anyway, whether people want to acknowledge it or not. No one has to make use of it, so if they do it makes sense to regulate it for the benefit of those who are evolved.

In the not too distant future, some sex workers will be AI motivated gel dolls, hired out to customers.

• met and got to know a few sex workers back when I was a taxi driver covering the overnight shifts. They used to cadge cigarettes and want to sit in the cars for a bit of a warmth when the weather was bad down by the ranks.

None of them were on the game because it was their profession of choice - there was a sad story and usually an accompanying addiction behind each and every one of them and they usually had some pimp like controlling thug dealer type to to contend with to boot.

Who's ever (excuse the phrase) come across one who's doing it for the love of sex and an easy buck? If such a mythical beast exists they're in the tiniest of minorities. Besides, anyone in it it purely for the sex is what sites like "plenty of fish" are about - ie meet up with a relative stranger for a drink and have a one night stand. There's no need for a sex addict to charge for it.

I wouldn't target prostitutes themselves and criminalize what's basically desperation, they've got enough shit going on in their lives as it is - but I don't think men should be given the green light to take advantage of a desperate situation for their own sexual gratification by making them unaccountable for their part.

Yes, much of that is true, Rusty. That is why I said there should be properly regulated establishments - keep the pimps out of it and give sex workers somewhere safe and warm to ply their trade.

• The issue is: Will my taxes be used to provide a nice safe place for men to have sex?

Thousands of young girls were gang raped in Rochdale and many other towns - the police did nothing.

In fact, they aided and abetted the abuse of the girls. Perhaps we should simply legalise religious extremists in pursuit of raping young girls.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• Er, no, Echo. Such establishments would be licensed and privately owned, and tax revenue would be bolstered because all earnings and profits would be taxed.

Your last two paragraphs are nothing to do with this topic.

• That was abuse of underaged girls. It's not prostitution, it's a crime against children. Obviously anyone engaging in it should be prosecuted.

My comment was directly aimed at the attitude of the police. Is prostitution illegal?

Pimping should mean a life sentence. Increasing the tariff when drugs or abusive harm is involved.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• I suspect that in the cases you mentioned the police were held back by fears of racism accusations. It doesn't excuse them, but it does look bad. It is bad and it's the fault of increasingly extremist liberalism that has resulted in woke and injustice for some and immunity for others. A sad state of affairs that has caused many children to be failed by the very system that is supposed to protect them.

• I suspect that in the cases you mentioned the police were held back by fears of racism accusations. It doesn't excuse them, but it does look bad. It is bad and it's the fault of increasingly extremist liberalism that has resulted in woke and injustice for some and immunity for others. A sad state of affairs that has caused many children to be failed by the very system that is supposed to protect them.

I agree with you. I get the specific cases and different issues but I always tend to step back and look at the overall picture.

I am not against legalising prostitution this seems logically the best way to go. I want to know how they will do it. Its as if the Pimps are OK and the fault is the women.

• I agree with you. I get the specific cases and different issues but I always tend to step back and look at the overall picture.

I am not against legalising prostitution this seems logically the best way to go. I want to know how they will do it. Its as if the Pimps are OK and the fault is the women.

Well, under my proposal, the pimps would not get a look in. Vetting and counselling services would be available and anyone being coerced would be free to name these people in confidence and the police would pay them an unfriendly visit. There should be long sentences imposed for these scum of the Earth people.

• Never. The thought of a woman having been with probably 25 men a week I find revolting.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!