Should prostitution be legalised?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • These days of "no cash" it has an inherent double whammy.

Credit Cards have insurance (£100 +) so if she is not a great performer????

I wonder what it would say on the bank statement. Any offers?

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• And there is the problem with legalising prostitution. The consumers do not want to be open about their habits. Legal prostitution would be regulated and users would have to be registered.

Prostitution is sleazy and grubby and unwholesome. It can’t work inside a legal framework.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Weird - some women who have a normal job but like to sleep around are called Slags. Prostitutes taking money for having sex with total strangers are raised to a level of respect, called: Lady's of the night. Madam.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• Weird - some women who have a normal job but like to sleep around are called Slags. Prostitutes taking money for having sex with total strangers are raised to a level of respect, called: Lady's of the night. Madam.

Nothing but a euphemism to allow conversation in polite company.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Yes, much of that is true, Rusty. That is why I said there should be properly regulated establishments - keep the pimps out of it and give sex workers somewhere safe and warm to ply their trade.

On the surface that sounds fine, but I'm not convinced that it's possible such an environment would exist for more than five minutes before things started getting shady.

• "sex workers"?

Next question: This suggested "controlled legal acceptable" prostitution, "sex work", put your hand up if you want it down your street?

• "sex workers"?

Next question: This suggested "controlled legal acceptable" prostitution, "sex work", put your hand up if you want it down your street?

Not many, I would wager, but having licensed premises for legal prostitution would effectively clear the streets with the right legislation and enforcement in place.

• What do you think?

You make good arguments and I agree with all of them, but when I read that, which was just before I went to bed, the name Jeffrey Epstein popped into my head.

If, if, it could be shown that those who choose to be prostitutes are doing so with their eyes wide open, then fine, but I reckon in nine times out of ten, the prostitutes are exploited, like those flown to Epstein's island.

Which takes me onto another point of this, I assume most prostitutes are not women or men in their 40s or 50s. I imagine most of them are young, very young, with the majority being teenagers. If I were the father of a teenager, I wouldn't want them doing this at all, it would feel very wrong.

And further to that, what about the moral element here? It turns something which should be part of love, into something purely mechanical.

I am not sure. Not sure at all.

• These days of "no cash" it has an inherent double whammy.

Credit Cards have insurance (£100 +) so if she is not a great performer????

I wonder what it would say on the bank statement. Any offers?

I know that shouldn't be funny, but it is AND valid. Since covid, we have moved to a mainly cashless society.

• I carry cash so I can give money to Big Issue sellers. They work hard to try and get some money.

• You make good arguments and I agree with all of them, but when I read that, which was just before I went to bed, the name Jeffrey Epstein popped into my head.

If, if, it could be shown that those who choose to be prostitutes are doing so with their eyes wide open, then fine, but I reckon in nine times out of ten, the prostitutes are exploited, like those flown to Epstein's island.

Which takes me onto another point of this, I assume most prostitutes are not women or men in their 40s or 50s. I imagine most of them are young, very young, with the majority being teenagers. If I were the father of a teenager, I wouldn't want them doing this at all, it would feel very wrong.

And further to that, what about the moral element here? It turns something which should be part of love, into something purely mechanical.

I am not sure. Not sure at all.

But here's the rub, Horizon - most of these women will do it anyway, and personally, that being the case, I would rather they did it in safety. These facilities could also contain accommodation for rent so they can get away from the pimps.

• I am fine with "whore houses" made legal, to be based near the rich, posh areas - down the same streets. Perhaps the Archbishop or King Charles might have a spare room or two.

• I am fine with "whore houses" made legal, to be based near the rich, posh areas - down the same streets. Perhaps the Archbishop or King Charles might have a spare room or two.

Not with Prince Andrew on the prowl - not a good idea... =O

• Not all sex workers are women in our world.

Many male homosexuals are predatorial. To the point, it has been turned into a comedy art form. TV and Radio.

Why the hell do celeb-type homosexual males use the double entendre??? "Oooh that's a big one, I love Bananas, dont bend over"!!!!

"ooh that policeman's truncheon is sooo big, that would hurt"!!!

They do this all the time. Almost every sentence includes this deliberate sexual message.

My two best friends - coming to dinner tomorrow, for the thousandth time, are male in a relationship with each other. I have never heard them speak in that way or in any way lude or even favouring LGBTQ. They hate LGBTQ in its current militant format.

There are hundreds of places, clubs, pubs etc specifically for Homosexuality and backrooms for interchangeable partners for sex. Problem solved.

• I have a problem with Police and Officials turning against the good people and supporting the bad people. Example: If you were to stop a trans - calling himself a woman - from entering a girl's toilet, when you know a young girl is in there, the cops will arrest you and not stop the trans person.

This means there is an agenda.

• https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/sw/sex-worker-safety/#:~:text=The%20exchange%20of%20sexual%20services,including%20someone%20in%20a%20vehicle

However where two or more prostitutes use a premises for the purpose it is classified as a brothel, that is illegal.

I paid for sex once as a young soldier (18) a life experience one might say. I am all for cleaning up the sex industry, regular medical checks etc, the removal of pimps may well prove somewhat harder as this is often related to drugs and/or violence. The industry would need some heavy hitting regulation and protection not just from violent punters, but from the leftist Mary Whitehouse types that would undoubtedly protest, victimise and name and shame all users attending said premises.

This would need well thought out.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!