Warner to make 10 Harry Potter shows

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • ALISON BOSHOFF: Harry Potter gets $2bn bonanza with TEN new series
    Britain is to get a $2 billion Harry Potter bonanza, as Warner Bros will film TEN series - at its studios in Leavesden, Herts - of a new TV show about 'the boy…
    www.dailymail.co.uk

Wow! I suppose if boy magicians is your thing, you'll been in heaven.

I loved the first film, but only seen the next two or three. Clearly, the films were shot some years between each other and so the actors aged, yet they played the characters as if only one year had passed between the films and so when Harry was meant to be 14, it was clear that the actor was an adult. Looked ridiculous to me and the stories seemed to be repetitive, which gets me onto this...

Are they going to kill this franchise like what was done with Star Wars and Marvel? Ten new shows seems totally overkill, who is going to be interested in that much Potter?

Will you watch these shows?

• I have never read or seen anything to do with Harry Potter. I know JKR's life story - amazing.

Her Ex is the unluckiest guy that ever lived.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/arti…new-series.html

I loved the first film, but only seen the next two or three. Clearly, the films were shot some years between each other and so the actors aged, yet they played the characters as if only one year had passed between the films and so when Harry was meant to be 14, it was clear that the actor was an adult. Looked ridiculous to me and the stories seemed to be repetitive, which gets me onto this...

Are they going to kill this franchise like what was done with Star Wars and Marvel? Ten new shows seems totally overkill, who is going to be interested in that much Potter?

The Harry Potter stories are quite clever and I have watched parts of them with my grandsons. These films are really for teenagers and maybe those in their 20s. I am rather older now, so I would not choose to watch them at my age, but in a family gathering, that's fine.

• https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/arti…new-series.html

The Americans will milk this idea dry and eventually, if not already, ruin it.

The problem is the absolute absence of any originality within the Hollywood types. It’s all franchises, sequels, prequels, son of or other derivative of some once great stand alone idea. Or gender swaps is another tactic these days or races swapping of characters.

Generally speaking movies based on TV series are disappointing because the approx 2 hour time restriction of a movie limits what can be done. It wasn’t a problem in the old days when series like The Sweeney spawned two movies and they were both great because they were essentially just long episodes that allowed a more developed plot, but today it would be new sets, new characters and general removal of whatever made the TV series great. I think this is dressed up under the fancy phrase of “reimagining” but all they manage to do is remove what drew people to the series in the first place and replace it with something untested.

Of course the critics love this but as a general rule of thumb I follow the inverse critic law, that says that the more a movie is fawned over by the critics the more likely it is to be self indulgent crap.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• The absence of originality seems to be a problem these days, I agree.

If they want to make a show about magic, why not try something new? I just don't see how ten different shows can be gleamed from this, I assume with all different casts and storylines. Although I guess if you're a parent of a child of a certain age and living within commuting distance of Warner's North London studios, you maybe seeing lots of pound signs now...

And on the plus side, this will be $2 billion coming into the coffers of the UK film industry, so not all bad.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!