2024 The Year Of The Mass "high street" Shop closures.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The closure of shops and well-known businesses in town centers is increasing as each day passes. By the end of this year there will be serious problems created by such closures. Job losses and cultural impact.

This is why I despise politicians such as Starmer - he wants to be PM yet has never faced this matter. Instead, he focuses on one or two people who MIGHT be antisemitic.

Of course, the internet - Amazon et al. - is the major factor in all of this. I held strong resilience to internet purchases but I will not pay £10 for something costing £5 from Amazon.

I have heard people discussing the fact that shops are closing but Charity shops seem to be a growth industry. There are several charity shops along the single high street in each town near me. They also talk of Barber shops/Hairdressers on the increase. My very small town has 7 along our high street with two recently opening. You rarely see clients in them. All apart from 2 are managed by foreign young men, who do not seem to have any problems opening new Barbers shops. All newly fitted-out with huge mirrors and very expensive Barber chairs.

Amazon can not give you a haircut - not yet - but it seems odd we have so many newly opened Barbers - in all nearby towns.

8| All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered: the point is to discover them. (Galileo)

IF YOU STAND FOR NOTHING - YOU FALL FOR EVERYTHING.

• I've lost count of the number of barber shops in our town that were basically fronts for drug dealing operations over the years.

As for the high street itself.... what do you expect when councils are putting people off from driving into city centres by introducing congestion/emission tariffs, when you get there finding somewhere to park let alone a parking meter that takes actual coins rather than expecting you to (A) own a smart phone and (B) have or wish to download the APP is getting increasingly annoying, only to fail to find whatever it might have been you went into town looking to purchase, so had to order it anyhow.

Most city centre shops that aren't charity, food/drink, mobile phone or pawn shop related tend to only sell cheap tat that you can carry at ease back to wherever it was you managed to park the car and woe betide if you're 5 minutes late getting back to the carpark - where you'll be greeted by a wheel clamping gorilla demanding you pay £100 plus on the spot or they'll tow your car away and quadruple the cost of you getting it back.

F**k the Hight St. The High Street is dead. The only reason I go up town these days is to meet up with a few old mates in what's left of our old drinking haunts. Everything else is I source from "out of town" retailers and/or online. I'd never go back to town shopping.

• I've lost count of the number of barber shops in our town that were basically fronts for drug dealing operations over the years.

As for the high street itself.... what do you expect when councils are putting people off from driving into city centres by introducing congestion/emission tariffs, when you get there finding somewhere to park let alone a parking meter that takes actual coins rather than expecting you to (A) own a smart phone and (B) have or wish to download the APP is getting increasingly annoying, only to fail to find whatever it might have been you went into town looking to purchase, so had to order it anyhow.

Most city centre shops that aren't charity, food/drink, mobile phone or pawn shop related tend to only sell cheap tat that you can carry at ease back to wherever it was you managed to park the car and woe betide if you're 5 minutes late getting back to the carpark - where you'll be greeted by a wheel lamping gorilla demanding you pay £100 plus on the spot or they'll tow your car away and quadruple the cost of you getting it back.

F**k the Hight St. The High Street is dead. The only reason I go up town these days is to meet up with a few old mates in what's left of our old drinking haunts. Everything else is I source from "out of town" retailers and/or online. I'd never go back to town shopping.

I agree with you on all your points. My wife and I just spent 10 days touring the East Anglia coast stopping off at various places (Hotels). We love Southwold and spent several days there. Adnams beer is the tops.

We decided to drive down to Lowestoft, just to park up and look around the shops etc. The drive-in was not visitor-friendly. Confusing signs for "town center" - the car park was crap - they expected me to phone them and register ???!!! we decided not to stay in Lowestoft, and drove straight back to Southwold. We would have spent a few quid there if it clearly signed/directed us to a decent car park.

We drove up to Norwich, another place we love to visit. The Coach and Horses is a lovely pub that brews its beer.

8| All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered: the point is to discover them. (Galileo)

IF YOU STAND FOR NOTHING - YOU FALL FOR EVERYTHING.

• Ultimately, the High Streets will contain only office blocks, mobile phone and broadband shops, coffee shops, sandwich shops and restaurants. Not much else retail, but will probably also include entertainment such as cinemas, bowling alleys, etc.

Other stuff will be almost exclusively on line. That’s the way it’s going and should be obvious to us all.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!