When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The problem with buying council houses as an investment was\is\and always will be they will always be council houses. By that I mean you drive through virtually any town or city in the UK and know this is/was a council estate.

Never built for the commercial market, they have served their purpose admirably, but too many didn't G.A.F about them and still don't.

My first house in Mytchett Nr Camerley Surrey was a modern 3 bed mid terrace. A block of 4, the centre two having a walkway between of which I had the flying freehold over. Bought for £64k in 1994 and sold for £125k in 1999.

This enabled me to buy a 4 bed detached with garage and large garden in Northumberland for £85k with no increase in mortgage, a home that would have been £400k+ in Surrey.

No budget truly addresses social or affordable housing. It simply is not cost effective for builders to build them, easy to opt out of supplying them and from a buyers point of view WGAF if they can't afford them.

That sounds cold and snobby, but a truthful reality. Why would you pay £300+k for a 3 bed house that Joe the scruffy tw@ gets put into as affordable housing for less then half that. Builders up here have found that if buyers know there is social/affordable housing nearby then their full price housing is VERY hard to sell.

If they want that kind of housing, then that's what the government needs to build. I would also suggest scrapping the right to buy as the same issue will just be recurring.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• They were also a way of Labour councils keeping Labour votes captive. Very sus but the way they were ended was too being as much motivated by that cash raid by Thatcher and it's been one of the (many) significant causes of our housing crisis.

• They were also a way of Labour councils keeping Labour votes captive. Very sus but the way they were ended was too being as much motivated by that cash raid by Thatcher and it's been one of the (many) significant causes of our housing crisis.

Nobody wants to live in a council house. People want to buy their own houses.

• The Tories don't build houses, neither does Labour. Builders build houses and guess what... For profit.

Now instead of playing silly politics show me where and how a builder makes the profit needed to buy the land, the materials and pay the wages and the shareholders from affordable ir social housing.

The mass building of houses post WW2 occurred because large numbers of houses, predominantly as it happens in the south, south east and London.

The fluctuations that you highlight are more akin to market forces than government policies. There are what's called brownfield sites all over the nation, but they might not get a small estate on there, maybe only two or three and these companies want larger sites, they are more prominently in green belt areas that both the public and local councils want to preserve, hence the term NIMBY.

We need to make it pretty clear to builders, that they build in brown field or nowhere, at least not until the brown field are filled. If high streets are defunkt I have no issue with a change of designation for shops/offices. But to misrepresent the data as a Tory failure is ludicrous.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• What we also need to do is end this ridiculous UK population growth and London centric economy that place impossible demand v supply burdens on the South East

• What we also need to do is end this ridiculous UK population growth and London centric economy that place impossible demand v supply burdens on the South East

The government talk about levelling up & im all in favour of grants to help businesses move but the best & & probably sustainable thing is to move the civil service out of London

• The government talk about levelling up & im all in favour of grants to help businesses move but the best & & probably sustainable thing is to move the civil service out of London

They actually have moved large chunks of it so. The DWP's big facility is in Leeds, MOD's is in Bristol etc etc. The in London HQ's are small and what is necessary to liaise with ministers.

We could start with not subsidising rail travel into London and moving the House of Commons to say Coventry

• They actually have moved large chunks of it so. The DWP's big facility is in Leeds, MOD's is in Bristol etc etc. The in London HQ's are small and what is necessary to liaise with ministers.

We could start with not subsidising rail travel into London and moving the House of Commons to say Coventry

I don’t like MPs much but sending them to Coventry is going a bit far :P

Yes, and unfortunately, opposition to dealing with illegal immigrants doesn’t help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!