How safe or private is our privacy

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Today my wife met up with 3 of her friends that she worked with in the civil service, they did not use social media, but met in the cafe of a local garden centre.

Since they last met our eldest daughter was married, holidays have been booked etc. She and I have been out this afternoon and whilst in the car she has made a phone call to our dog food supplier and I checked the web site of a food producer as our dog has a bit of IBS.

Her friends have been given links to my daughter's FB account, the do you know this person message with a FB photo showing of her wedding......wtf. Mrs CL is now also recieving FB adverts for dog food. Conclusions in my mind, voice conversation, telephone call and single search on Google makes me believe that any thought that our lives are private is merely a pretence.

I find it intrusive and barring a complete change of life, i.e leaving mobile phones, binning Google or Amazon, leaving anything social media I can see no other way of our lives remaining ours not some fucking big intrusive advertising target and it's getting worse.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• You are right. This is getting more intense. From years back, a photo you posted on the internet has integral information connected to the taker of said photo.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• Canny Lad March 26, 2024 at 8:35 PM

Changed the title of the thread from “How safe really is our privacy” to “How safe or private is our privacy”.
  • Pictures can contain a lot of meta data info but usually they don't say much more than when, size, camera model and camera settings.

But if you post a picture on Facebook etc then all sorts of information can be gleaned by looking at what else has been posted on same or linked Facebook accounts

• I understand about the picture mate, it's just that my wife and her friends were sitting chatting about the wedding when it popped up,their only other contact had been via SMS to arrange the meet. SCARY

Did your parents have any children that lived.

• My dog got fleas. I never mentioned this on any phone call or posted on any social media, I simply talked to family members in person about a visit to the vet. Later that night, videos and adverts about flea treatment for pets.

Spooky.

All I know is that I know nothing :/

• No such thing as privacy these days - particularly in the digital sense.

We're increasingly being walked down a path that i'd rather not be forced to walk down when it comes to things like a digital footprint but apart from dropping off the face of the earth and sitting in a hole in the ground next to a Juniper bush it's now nigh on impossible to not leave some kind of digital footprint behind.

There's a reason why Cyber crime and phone scams are flavour of the month with criminals. Our data isn't anything like as secure as it should be but rather than governments put the brakes on, take stock and deal with the problem, they're happily pushing us further and further down the digital data mining rabbit-hole.

Annoyingly, I love my tech, but I hate the fact my tech is being increasingly used to try and exploit me. I get even more wound up with the BS notion that it's supposedly " to make my life better." Like **** it is.

For example, why the hell should I need a smartphone and an app in order to pay to park my car in a bloody carpark? How and when is that ever going to be a benefit to me? We're sleeping walking into a possible future I don't like the look of - one where an algorithm can monitor all your digital purchases (no choice if the world went cashless) and use said data against you. The alternative? Conform to whatever the hive mind dictates or pay the price.

Computer says - your diet isn't healthy enough - no free NHS treatment for you. Shouldn't have ate all those french fries and burgers. You want life insurance? Computer says - not unless you're prepared to pay well over the odds because we've calculated you're a greater risk to the insurance companies bottom line because our database shows your families genetic profile has flagged you and yours as a higher risk.

Sometimes I'm glad i'm in the twilight rather than the dawn of my life because as far as I'm concerned we're all getting mugged off these days with tech that was supposedly designed to make our lives better not totally transparent to the markets and charlatans.

[and breath....] :)

• I have concerns about Alexa .... that's like inviting surveliance into your home.

My son very thoughtfully got me one in case I was ill and couldn't get to a phone but I mute it most of the time.

These things are promoted as a helpful item but there seem to be benefits too for the promoter.

• My dog got fleas. I never mentioned this on any phone call or posted on any social media, I simply talked to family members in person about a visit to the vet. Later that night, videos and adverts about flea treatment for pets.

Spooky.

Did you look up the topic on the internet? If so then under the default terms you likely accepted for use of internet browsers they then sent targeted ads to you.

You can disable the targeting in your browser settings or you can use so called private browsing

• There's no such thing as digital privacy. .. So long as you know that it's possible to minimize the damage.. As said earlier up thread, care is needed where Alexa is concerned it's possible for conversations to be listened to BUT only after you have used the WAKE word.

The Voice of Reason

• In effect yes that's true. that there is no absolute privacy unless you take the extreme measures the national security centres do and even then they have that perennial weakness: people.

But there is a huge level of privacy as long as you're sensible. Some people though are just dumb placing all sorts of things on their Facebook pages and even forums like this without realising the default is visible to all.

• Did you look up the topic on the internet? If so then under the default terms you likely accepted for use of internet browsers they then sent targeted ads to you.

You can disable the targeting in your browser settings or you can use so called private browsing

As far as I can remember we only ever spoke about it in person.

All I know is that I know nothing :/

• It's a mystery then

Google Chrome lets you see which interests you have that they are using in targeting ads but I could see nothing in those that led to a spate of lingerie ads appearing when I browsed. And then they disappeared

chrome://settings/adPrivacy/sites?search=adver

• If you sign up for a shop Club Card you are giving them your info. They sell this info. It's a multi-million-pound industry.

You not not get the discounts for nothing.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

Spooky.

Was Alexa listening in?

• You must talk with your dog.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!