The current issues and the future direction for the streamers

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • https://tbivision.com/2024/03/08/tbi-weekly-how-streaming-chaos-has-created-a-buyers-paradise/

[EXTRACT]

Not too long ago, it was almost unthinkable that an international streaming service would ever let one of its original titles appear on a rival platform.

But the growth-at-any-cost bubble has burst; profits and revenues are down, costs are being cut and now studios and streamers have changed their strategies from chasing subscribers to chasing revenue – and content is beginning to travel.

We are now a week past London Screenings, but developments in the days following, have clearly illustrated one of the major talking points of the market – growing streamer flexibility around show rights and the potential end to global deals.

This newfound flexibility is creating opportunities for buyers to get their hands on audience-driving content that formerly seemed forever locked out of reach, but, paradoxically, also indicates that the original commissioners no longer see this content as being as valuable when solely confined to their own platform.

The days of total exclusivity of original content on streamers are limited. Sensibly, they are learning that selling some of their content to rival streamers and perhaps even TV broadcasters is the way to make more money. Perhaps the financial indebtedness of Netflix could be eased by adopting this principle.

It’s not a new idea. Giving the rights to broadcast original programmes to other TV channels is a well established practice.

• Yes interesting, as you say shows have channel hopped for decades but not channel straddled as your linked article outlines.

In retrospect obvious it would happen but I didn't see it coming

• I was going to post this in the Netflix thread, but it's all a complete mess at the moment.

Essentially, Netflix has won the streaming wars and the others don't know what to do. Do they keep trying to compete and losing money or try something else? Clearly, this is part of trying something else.

What is the point of media companies owning their own streamers if they then licence their best stuff off to other companies? Makes no sense, because by selling your stuff off to competitors, you lose all that valuable data about who likes what, when they watch etc.

It’s not a new idea. Giving the rights to broadcast original programmes to other TV channels is a well established practice.

Which was fine in the days before the steamers, now I'm not so sure.

• It makes absolute sense to give rights to other content outlets to offer the older stuff - I wouldn’t let them have the new programmes, though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!