Ireland the past & the future

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Echo claims the IRA won

When was that ?

Is Ireland a Republic? Was it under the British government/power? Is it governed by Westminster today?

Don't be silly. This is not the 100 metres race. The IRA fought, using violence, which led to Ireland becoming a sovereign country. Don't you know anything about its history?

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• Is Ireland a Republic? Was it under the British government/power? Is it governed by Westminster today?

Don't be silly. This is not the 100 metres race. The IRA fought, using violence, which led to Ireland becoming a sovereign country. Don't you know anything about its history?

It was a partial victory because the island was divided between North & South the decision to accept partition resulted in a civil war

• I am fully aware of the history of Ireland and the IRA.

I am stating true events which led to the Republic of Ireland. One of the richest countries on Earth. Using the tax incentives Truss wanted to apply.

8|Do not trade me a Rabbit and hand me a Hare. (I know the strain of species in Leporidae).

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.

• I am fully aware of the history of Ireland and the IRA.

I am stating true events which led to the Republic of Ireland. One of the richest countries on Earth. Using the tax incentives Truss wanted to apply.

It became successful only after it managed to cut the influence of the Catholic Church & its peadophile priests

• Claire Fox then a extreme left winger

The RCP position - spelled out after the 1984 attack on Margaret Thatcher's Conservative party conference in Brighton - was that "we support unconditionally the right of the Irish people to carry out their struggle for national liberation in whatever way they choose".

Now this bitch sits in the House of Lords thanks to that other low life Boris Johnson

• The L/W militancy spilled over from Ireland into western Scotland and to a certain extent north West England when boatloads if Irish left Ireland and came to Scotland. Hence the on going Sectarianism still present in that area.. Mostly manifests itself in hatred over certain football teams , Namely Celtic and Rangers. When they play each other it's always like the Irish Republic V Scotland international with a dollop of Sectarian hate thrown in..

I do remember, a few years ago, seeing an recruitment advert in a paper shop window for counter staff and below in Bold Letters was :-

NO PROTESTANT NEED APPLY

Sectarianism is still rife unfortunately and at some times can be very bitter.

The Voice of Reason

• Claire Fox then a extreme left winger

The RCP position - spelled out after the 1984 attack on Margaret Thatcher's Conservative party conference in Brighton - was that "we support unconditionally the right of the Irish people to carry out their struggle for national liberation in whatever way they choose".

Now this bitch sits in the House of Lords thanks to that other low life Boris Johnson

I support free speech. Especially from those I disagree with.

• Phew!!! Imagine if they were Islamic Militants - they would have free-gratis to march how and when they like, saying and displaying whatever they like.

• from the Israel/Gaza thread

Yes they went to protect the Nationalist community from sporadic attacks by criminals and hard line Loyalists

BUT

The Nationalist community (mostly ) then attacked the UK Military with bombs and assassinations. Spurred on by the IRA/Pira terrorists.

Wasn't as simple as that. Both sides of militias set out to cause further trouble including numerous false flag attacks by the UVF and UDA and then that idiot Heath with his small majority Conservative and Unionist government pandered to the wider Unionists with one sided clamp downs, internment and eventually covering up of killings of Catholics . All of which the then breakaway P-IRA just loved as it massively increased their recruitment.

• Is Ireland a Republic? Was it under the British government/power? Is it governed by Westminster today?

And as you also know, the British armed forces were far stronger than the IRA.

There was no desire to fight the Irish, if there had been, the island would've been destroyed. Dublin was the second most important capital of the British Empire.

The IRA wanted to light a fuse and start off a domino affect to push Britain into either fighting a real war, which Britain did not want to do as the Irish were part of Britain, or withdraw.

The IRA picked their timings, in the middle of a global war and wanted to create the atmosphere in the minds of as many people as possible that Ireland was independent (the Easter Risings) so, in a sense, I agree, they won. But not militarily.

• Not good at all, appalling.

I see all things as cyclical.

The sooner we're rid of that god-forsaken island, the better. And that never used to be my opinion, considering how many British soldiers died there. But they've got to live on their island and we live on ours and we're all better off for it.

• I see all things as cyclical.

The sooner we're rid of that god-forsaken island, the better. And that never used to be my opinion, considering how many British soldiers died there. But they've got to live on their island and we live on ours and we're all better off for it.

While I too want rid we have to do our duty and as long as there is a majority in NI wanting to be in the UK we have to support them in that.

• I see all things as cyclical.

I wouldn’t describe Ireland as God forsaken , I like the place but I do feel that the sooner the place is reunited the better .

It is time for SF & the politicians in the south to reach out to loyalists in the North & offer them a vision of how a united Ireland could benefit them

• And as you also know, the British armed forces were far stronger than the IRA.

There was no desire to fight the Irish, if there had been, the island would've been destroyed. Dublin was the second most important capital of the British Empire.

The IRA wanted to light a fuse and start off a domino affect to push Britain into either fighting a real war, which Britain did not want to do as the Irish were part of Britain, or withdraw.

The IRA picked their timings, in the middle of a global war and wanted to create the atmosphere in the minds of as many people as possible that Ireland was independent (the Easter Risings) so, in a sense, I agree, they won. But not militarily.

So do you think if Irish people sat back and did nothing, no firearms involved the British government would hand them independence/sovereignty?

The Easter Rising WAS NOT supported by the vast majority of Irish people.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!