WW3 at my Dentists

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I don't know about anyone else, but NHS dentistry is rapidly dying.

I had a routine checkup with my dentists yesterday and all was going well for the first five minutes, but as has been the case with this particular surgery in recent years, there is a change. The change being is that my dentist insists that I need a deep clean to deal with my "deep germs" and I need to book a separate appointment with my hygienist at an additional cost of over £60.

I said to my dentist that I am sure that a NHS clean would be sufficient, as has always been the case, but like a used car salesman, he kept pushing it and pushing it.... I eventually exploded, in a quiet way, I was still in the dentists chair, but exploded anyway.

Long story short, I got the practice manager in and she looked at my teeth, yes, I'm not kidding and with the dentist in front of her, she said it was only an optional service, he agreed. I said if it was only optional and not medically necessary, then I don't need this optional service, which the dentist then chipped in and said it was medically necessary. I said if that was the case, then it should be carried out as part of the Band 1 NHS treatment, but the dentist said that the Band 1 treatment couldn't cope with my "deep germs".

What a load of crap.

Now, I did see the back of my teeth and there was a build-up of plaque on them, they were dirty, despite cleaning them three times a day, but previous recent dental visits have never really given my teeth a good clean, because they want to push their paid service.

When I got home, I sent a complaint letter off to the North East London Integrated Care Board, as it is now called. (The NHS likes to do a rebranding every five minutes, cannot remember what it was called previously, I think it was: North East London Primary Care Trust, or something like that). This is the organisation that commissions NHS care in my area aka gives out taxpayer's money to the hospital trusts and PCNs or Primary Care Networks (another rebranding) in other words, the GPs. I am not expecting anything of this complaint.

So, my question is, has anyone else experienced their dentist trying to sell them private services, in effect, replacing the NHS ones? Specifically, the hygiene clean. Other dental practices in my area charge £80-£100 for the same thing.

Also, I had to fill in a load of medical details, which happens Every time now I go to the dentists, does anyone else get this too? Some of the questions, were "are you happy with your skin"? Are there wrinkles in your skin? Are you happy with your neckline? (one for the ladies, I guess) You can see where this is going.

My local dentists have just built a massive extension onto their surgery and, like other dentists in the area, I reckon they are expanding the "services" they are going to offer.

I just want my bloody teeth checked and cleaned every six months, not have liposuction. Anyway, I've ordered a dental hygiene kit from Amazon and I'll do my own scraping from now on.

Problem sorted!:)

• Well done for standing up to them ... I think a lot of services which should be delivering NHS care are going this way ... it's very opportunist and also paves the way for 'normalising' private care.

When this General Election finally arrives NHS services and their protection will be top of my list of questions.

There's a crack, a crack in everything

That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen.

• It is cheaper to buy a house abroad - fly over now and again and get your teeth done while you are there.

8| "If there be time to expose through discussion, the falsehoods and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence"

IF YOU STAND FOR NOTHING - YOU FALL FOR EVERYTHING.

• "I'll do my own scraping from now on."

Wat Daa!!??

8| "If there be time to expose through discussion, the falsehoods and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence"

• Well done for standing up to them ...

I'm preparing for the inevitable fallout and trying to get on a waiting list for another surgery. Unfortunately, they all seem to be going in this direction and like eye care, it's about the selling the product, not the actual care.

• I'm preparing for the inevitable fallout and trying to get on a waiting list for another surgery. Unfortunately, they all seem to be going in this direction and like eye care, it's about the selling the product, not the actual care.

That's the risk, frankly you've been lucky to still have an NHS dentist. I had to go private well over 10 years ago (FWIW under Labour) and it costs a fortune. But government after government has cynically lived in denial of the complete clusterfuck they've made of NHS dentistry.

And yes I am made to see the hygienist and it costs £££ plus the yearly question and lie response 'are you still using the dental floss?'

As for Plaque maybe try one of those mouthwashes. Years ago I was using them a lot in some daft mistaken attempt to treat lychen planus (it failed) but come the next mouth exam the dentist said 'I've never seen so little plaque' .

• "Deep germs", H. The ridiculous terms they come up with. It's all part of the pass you on syndrome. I was also solicited for a clean scam, or I would get "gum disease". I told the dentist that was rubbish as my teeth are fine and I have no relatives with gum disease, besides I'm still here a decade later with no dire "gum disease". He had a little lady round the corner who did tooth cleaning and so I was actually just being pushed into her peripheral business. The dentist then had an affair with his assistant and the pair of them went to Dubai where they could no doubt make a fortune deep anti-germing gullible rich people.

• Dentistry seems to be going the same way as vets , small practices are being bought by larger businesses & they’re pushing into monthly payments & the cost is rising rapidly

Those who think that the NHS should be privatised should take note

• Nope. It is more sinister than that.

All such requirements are essential. You can not really ignore the necessity.

No person will leave their pet suffering, no matter if an injection was £1000. Or a small box of tablets was £300.

No person will leave their loved ones unburied, no funeral.

No person will, can ignore their teeth rotting, or the agony.

The suppliers know this. They know we have to pay anything and WILL pay because the situation is emotional and a necessity - the high prices are NOT a necessity.

• Yes but the base problem is government after government has not provided sufficient supply of dentists willing to accept the NHS contract to meet the need.

• Yes but the base problem is government after government has not provided sufficient supply of dentists willing to accept the NHS contract to meet the need.

In many cases, I don't think there is a supply issue. There are lots of dentists. It's a "let's take the piss" issue instead. They take state funds, lure the "punters" in and then flog them unnecessary private services. Which is why some poorer areas are seeing a shortfall of dentists, because there's no money in it for them. The dentists are a plenty, but they want to make as much wonga as possible.

Within a 2-mile radius of my home, there are about 15 dental surgeries....

Well done for standing up to them ... I think a lot of services which should be delivering NHS care are going this way ... it's very opportunist and also paves the way for 'normalising' private care.

When this General Election finally arrives NHS services and their protection will be top of my list of questions.

I've no issues with private care, I've issues with those pretending to do NHS care and not doing it.

• The thing with supply and demand is very small differences between the two can lead to massive price differences and if you then try to constrain that price (in this case for NHS Dentists wages) you get all sorts of shortages

• I don't accept the supply and demand argument.

The GPs are well paid, but are only a few steps behind where the dentists are now.

It's about greed.

Those who want to offer private services and charge whatever the hell they want, good luck to them. But for the rest of us peasants, we're stuck with the good 'ole NHS...

The GPs are well paid, but are only a few steps behind where the dentists are now.

It's about greed.

Those who want to offer private services and charge whatever the hell they want, good luck to them. But for the rest of us peasants, we're stuck with the good 'ole NHS...

A guy calling in to LBC claimed his hernia op was cancelled 29 times

Some of the cancellations were due to the surgeon calling in sick because he was doing private work instead

• My wife has had excellent service from the NHS except when I called an ambulance following a stroke - they said it would take 6 hours. I drove her to the hospital. I can not fault the Hospital service. No delays with appointments and the staff are brilliant.

GP service is criminal.

It's about greed.

The NHS has ~100,000 unfilled vacancies you really don't think that has a significant effect? Of course it does as those that can afford to pay for private dentistry will do and that drags even more resources out of the NHS pool making the problem worse and the vicious circle continues.

Not that NHS dentistry is good anyway. Anything more complex than a simple filling and it's 'well we can take the tooth out on the NHS or for £hundreds we can save the tooth privately'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!