Muslim student loses legal challenge

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Good :thumbup:

Michaela School: Muslim student loses prayer ban challenge
    Michaela School was entitled to enforce a ban on prayer rituals, the High Court has ruled.
    www.bbc.co.uk

'A Muslim student at a London school has lost a High Court challenge against its ban on prayer rituals.

Michaela School in Wembley was taken to court by the girl over the policy, which she argued was discriminatory.
    The non-faith state secondary school previously told the High Court that allowing prayer rituals risked "undermining inclusion" among pupils.
    The free school's founder and head teacher Katharine Birbalsingh said the ruling was a "victory for all schools".

In an 83-page written judgment dismissing the student's case, Mr Justice Linden said: "The claimant at the very least impliedly accepted, when she enrolled at the school, that she would be subject to restrictions on her ability to manifest her religion."

• Correct decision.. To have allowed Muslim prayers in a non-denomination school would have caused huge divisions when the school is wanting to foster integration.. Well Done !!!!!:thumbup:

The Voice of Reason

• It was the right outcome ... there are plenty of schools available where the young lady could address her prayer needs if they are that important to her but I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the actual reason for raising the challenge.

So sad that there are so many places in the world where the right to follow your chosen faith and the right to choose to follow none shine a freedom to choose light brightly but yet still some people choose to impose their beliefs on others.

There's a crack, a crack in everything

That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen.

• This could be worrying, we all agree and that is so unprecedented in human history it could be a portent of the apocalypse ;)

• While I understand that some of the UKs best performing schools are Christian faith schools I wonder whether all schools should be none faith ?

• While I understand that some of the UKs best performing schools are Christian faith schools I wonder whether all schools should be none faith ?

Perhaps either no faith or all faiths ?

I think 'worship' within the education system can be distractive and isn't what school is meant for.

There is no reason why 'Faith' cannot be on the curriculum ... it is hugely important for so many people ... but it can be taight as a subject and cover all faiths ... that may also help demystify it and make clear what the central 'beliefs' are which can show they have a lot in common as well as having differences.

Leonard Cohen.

• Perhaps either no faith or all faiths ?

I think 'worship' within the education system can be distractive and isn't what school is meant for.

There is no reason why 'Faith' cannot be on the curriculum ... it is hugely important for so many people ... but it can be taight as a subject and cover all faiths ... that may also help demystify it and make clear what the central 'beliefs' are which can show they have a lot in common as well as having differences.

I agree that RE as they called in my day is a valid subject but that’s not really what faith schools are about

• Great news. I am sure there is plenty of room/school places in one of the Islamic countries.

8| "If there be time to expose through discussion, the falsehoods and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence"

IF YOU STAND FOR NOTHING - YOU FALL FOR EVERYTHING.

• My children would be removed from a school that insisted on teaching them the Islamic faith.

8| "If there be time to expose through discussion, the falsehoods and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence"

• Perhaps either no faith or all faiths ?

Tell that to the teacher in Batley who is still in hiding after threats from Islamists

• Look at the state of GB now as compared to decades ago. Christian faith allegiance, in schools certainly did no harm.

Non of my classmates appeared to be hoodwinked or taken over.

• There is a reason why faith schools ( Christian ) are oversubscribed .

The children are generally better behaved , therefore the teachers can actually teach = good results

To get into a faith school today the parents need to have shown at least some allegiance to Christianity by turning up at church for at least a year prior to their child’s entrance .

Parents who do this - and many do - at least have shown they really want their children to have a good education .

• Exactly - for many years Catholic schools topped the ratings. Because of discipline.

• Look at the state of GB now as compared to decades ago. Christian faith allegiance, in schools certainly did no harm. . .

Ahem

Church of England failures 'allowed child sexual abusers to hide'
    The Church describes its "shame" over the failings detailed in a "shocking" report into sexual abuse.
    www.bbc.co.uk
    Children abused for decades at ‘sadistic’ Catholic school where paedophile priests ‘acted like the mafia’
    Monks at London abbey sexually assaulted boys ‘with apparent impunity’, panel says
    www.independent.co.uk

You really need to take those blinkers off

• All state schools certainly, the state should be secular

Apparently that makes me a disestablishmentarianist

I tend to agree but it would be a shame to un do the good done by the better Christian schools

• I went to a grammar school which held Christian assemblies but also Jewish ones in another part of the building.

Once a week we had non religious assemblies together.

The school was in a geographically Jewish populated part of London but the majority of pupils were Christian or non religious.

RE lessons were very interesting ... we learned a lot about each others faith and I also went to visit a Synagogue with one of my Jewish friends.

There was never any sense of 'them and us'

Young minds look for similarities instinctively I think and carry those experiences into adulthood.

Faith can and does bring a lot of positives into peoples lives in many ways especially socially and in terms of community.

It would be a shame to wipe all of that out because of attempts to promote and exagerate 'difference'

Leonard Cohen.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!