Dress Standards - Secondary School??

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • It's excellent for boys too. They have "masters" to educate them, other boys to grow up with and they have that comrade group thing that is very important for males growing up. Girls are a distraction at that age.

Girls don't need boys at all at school. They have their female group, their body privacy and their security. I preferred separate schools and I went to both. In fact, my time at the convent was the happiest school days of my life.

• Schools that produce the highest standards have strict dress codes.

8| "If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change".

• This is a serious post. Not lude.

I noticed the school kids walk past my house to the high school half a mile away.

The girls - possibly aged between 13 and 17 - wear the shortest Mini skirts - and I mean as short as it can get.

I think this reflects an image of a lack of discipline. What do you think?

Please, no snide, witty comments because I am not perverse - I ask a serious question.

Do I approve of it? No. Do I think it's wise? No

But generation after generation kids do what we did when we were kids: show independence against what elders want kids to be. It's part of growing up and as such it would be wrong and also distinctly unwise to try and forbid it.

• I hate uniforms of all kinds. I don't know why but I just do. My school uniform at the convent was very benign and so it wasn't so bad. Nice little blue overdress with white blouse and no tie, brown shoes and stockings in winter and a little belted cotton number with teeny dots with a white hat and brown shoes in summer. The nuns let us wear boots to school in winter if they were brown boots and not ostentatious. It was a pleasure to get out of the government school uniform of black box pleated gymslip and a bloody tie choking you all day. Black stockings and black lace up shoes. Hideous!

• If I wore a hat at the table my mother told me to take it off or leave the table. To this day I do not see the significance of hat removal. I see the respect aspect as showing your full head/face.

The point I did get is - I respect what my mother said and did. Standards. Thats the point.

A uniform is an identity whereby all school students commit to a common standard regardless of wealth and position.

• I was never a follower because I tend to make up my own mind whether something is worth supporting or obeying. My generation had this as a characteristic, so I fitted in, but the establishment of the time didn't like us. So we showed them the finger.

• A uniform is an identity whereby all school students commit to a common standard regardless of wealth and position.

Most of us as children didn’t want to be common.

We wanted to be different.

• You mean you did not wear the school uniform, instead choosing to dress how you like?

• We didn’t want to wear a school uniform. So we made little adaptations that we thought we might get away with like low knots in ties with top shirt button undone, studs in shoes, etc.

I have to admit that no-one actually had the nerve to get naked.

• We didn’t want to wear a school uniform. So we made little adaptations that we thought we might get away with like low knots in ties with top shirt button undone, studs in shoes, etc.

I have to admit that no-one actually had the nerve to get naked.

There's the rub..... my thread is to do with proper discipline, and enforcement of correct dress.

Good schools will ensure uniform is worn correctly.

• School - the place where they try to take away your individuality and ability to think freely.

Schools should concentrate more on the education children need to function in society and to do well in their future trades or professions. They should also be taught responsibility as part of society, respect for others and how to exist on a budget.

Those who are able to do well academically should have access to higher level education to make the most of their abilities, but all children should be given the ability to read, write and do basic maths. To our great shame, even today we see pupils leaving school without these basic abilities.

What pupils wear is simply not that important in the end.

• School - the place where they try to take away your individuality and ability to think freely.

Schools should concentrate more on the education children need to function in society and to do well in their future trades or professions. They should also be taught responsibility as part of society, respect for others and how to exist on a budget.

Those who are able to do well academically should have access to higher level education to make the most of their abilities, but all children should be given the ability to read, write and do basic maths. To our great shame, even today we see pupils leaving school without these basic abilities.

What pupils wear is simply not that important in the end.

I agree with what you say but there is also a problem with some parents

A friend of ours is a primary school teacher in a deprived area of Leeds

Some kids start there without even the ability to wipe their own arse

There are too many feckless individuals who expect the state to do their job for them

• I think that it is .

It gives children a sense of unity with others at their school and takes away the worry of what to wear .

• I think that it is .

It gives children a sense of unity with others at their school and takes away the worry of what to wear .

Uniforms certainly do that , but if children arrive from a background without any discipline & parents don’t support the school in trying to in still discipline the school is unlikely to be successful

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!