Who will be the next Conservative leader?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Sunak has just left Downing St, but in his leaving speech, he said he will remain leader of the Conservative party until a new person is selected. Personally, I think he should step down as party leader immediately, but hey ho.

Who should be the new Conservative Party Leader?

• Braverman obviously fancies her chancer , sower faced bitch that she is

Mordant was a favourite but obviously she’s gone

Jeremy Hunt might fancy his chances after beating the odds in his constituency

• Sunak has just left Downing St, but in his leaving speech, he said he will remain leader of the Conservative party until a new person is selected. Personally, I think he should step down as party leader immediately, but hey ho.

Think you need a list of who remains and length of time being a MP

• Malcolm Rifkind & Tom Tugenhat say they would like to see the new leader chosen by the parliamentary party rather than the membership.

• Sunak was chosen by the Parliamentary Party - of course, the 1922 Committee selected him.

His job was to take down the party. It makes no sense that the party can change Boris to Truss et al .. yet not dump Sunak who destroyed the party as they watched. It does not ring true for me.

8| "If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change".

It would be irresponsible to leave the party leaderless while an election took place for his successor.

As for who that should be, it should be obvious that they need to choose someone with personality on the right wing of the party. It needs to be someone who is sensible and also capable of embracing the views of those on the centre right of the party.

If they choose someone too close to the centre ground as Rishi was, they will be doomed to more failure in the future.

• The Tories need someone who can unite the party. A centrist candidate is needed, as it would be political suicide to shift the party further to the Right. The new leader needs to be prepared to be tough, and to bash heads together if necessary. I would be inclined to go for someone who wasn't in the last Government cabinet. He or she also needs to have great oratory skills. If he weren't already a peer, I'd probably want William Hague. He is the right age, was good as Opposition leader and has a great line in satirical humour.

• It is the definition of "right" Per Se, that has been bastardized. This is the problem.

The Tories shifted to a wishy-washy center-left position. This is why they are not the current government.

The vast majority of people in this country want The Rule Of Law and an end to illegal immigration. An end to control of our speech and an end to DEI.

But, the lefties label people as "Faaar Right" just for holding to the aforesaid values.

8| "If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change".

• The Tories need someone who can unite the party. A centrist candidate is needed, as it would be political suicide to shift the party further to the Right. The new leader needs to be prepared to be tough, and to bash heads together if necessary. I would be inclined to go for someone who wasn't in the last Government cabinet. He or she also needs to have great oratory skills. If he weren't already a peer, I'd probably want William Hague. He is the right age, was good as Opposition leader and has a great line in satirical humour.

History tells us that you are right .

William Hague has a very irritating voice but I agree he’s an intelligent guy with a good political brain

I doubt he would be acceptable to the right of the party , he’s too normal

He also lives in the soon to be vacated constituency of Richmond:/

Rishi was ‘centrist’ and ‘establishment’ and look where that got him.

At the moment only Reform UK stand to the right - there is a dangerous vacuum here that needs to be filled. The Conservatives are the best party to achieve that, despite their current troubles.

• Malcolm Rifkind & Tom Tugenhat say they would like to see the new leader chosen by the parliamentary party rather than the membership.

Then both of them have learned nothing.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Then both of them have learned nothing.

No, I think they have a point. If the membership votes for a leader the parliamentary party doesn’t support, this causes a lot of problems right from the start.

I think the membership should do more to select the type of candidate that they would want to support, not simply ‘the best candidate’, and this way the views of the membership would be better reflected in the House of Commons.

• Sky News is saying that Priti Patel, James Clevery, Suella Braverman and Kemi Badenoch are the front-runners.

Yeah! The Conservative Party would've completed its mission in eliminated white men from its ranks....

• No, I think they have a point. If the membership votes for a leader the parliamentary party doesn’t support, this causes a lot of problems right from the start.

I think the membership should do more to select the type of candidate that they would want to support, not simply ‘the best candidate’, and this way the views of the membership would be better reflected in the House of Commons.

The parliamentary party needs to remember how they got there. It was the members and voters who put them there. Once in parliament they would do well to listen when the same system selects their leader.

Truss was the victim of a political hit job orchestrated by the Bank of England. Sunak was supplanted outside of recognised selection processes. The Conservatives paid the price massively although to be fair the fatal hole beneath the waterline had already been made by Boris with his left wing, environmental shite and the covid mishandling. Not to mention his endless lies and broken promises.

Sunak showed his real self yesterday by resigning thus causing a by-election immediately after a GE. He isn’t even going to look after his constituents as elected to do so. It was PM or California for him.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Hunt's ruled himself out. This next leader won't be PM anyway. Maybe the one after.

The consensus on here is that a move to the right will see the Tories back in power at the next election

In my view they are wrong , the electorate have just took a step to the left so a move to the right would alienate the majority in this country

I live in an affluent constituency which had the same Tory MP since 2010 , he was a typical grey suited man from whom little was heard & as far as I could see did little for the constituency

He appeared every year at the local pride march

There are a lot of wealthy people live in my town, I’d describe the place as fiscally conservative but socially liberal

The town would probably vote again for a Tory party lead by Hunt or Tugenhat but never for one lead by Braverman or Baker

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!