Horizon's Gardening Topic

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • The other day after seeing this article I told her not the buy any Bamboo

Good advice!

I get fed up when you see all these so called experts on tv rave about bamboo when planting it in someone's elses garden. A absolute no no.

They can come and have my slugs and snails anyday so long as they leave the worms alone.

I suppose if snails and slugs performed some function in the garden that I am not aware of, beyond eating all my plants, I'd be worried, but like you this doesn't sound like bad news to me.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Been doing some more gardening this week as the weather has been very mild.

My attention is now on the bed at the end of the garden and the upper left bed that it joins into.

On Wednesday, a mature holly tree got executed, but its stump is as big as the massive yew stump that was taken out last year. I don't fancy another job like that and as I've got a 8m+ stump from a old leylandii that was cut down several years ago still to be removed, time for a tree surgeon.

I don't think I will get any change out of a 1000 quid. X/

• We foolishly let a large leaved ivy have its fun. It's everywhere now! Deep roots and hefty twine for strangulation of anything in its path. We've taken out stacks and every time it rains, up she comes again. #*&!!@%

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• When we moved into out present house had the same problem Ivy was all over everything took ablow torch to it still took ages to kill it off , in the middle of the front garden was a big clump of Pampas Grass, had to dig down about 3 feet to get all the roots out

• Go on I may regret it what does it mean :/

Pampas grass: the not-so secret symbol of swingers is a turn-off
    Sales of the feathery plant have plummeted – are innocent gardeners getting wise to its hidden meaning?
    www.theguardian.com

:D

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• We foolishly let a large leaved ivy have its fun. It's everywhere now! Deep roots and hefty twine for strangulation of anything in its path. We've taken out stacks and every time it rains, up she comes again. #*&!!@%

99% of the ivy in my garden is now gone. Basically, almost every border area was planted with it and it took a good bit of time last year to get rid of mine, but I'm afraid you really do have get rid of the roots too LW. That's the hard bit.

The ivy in my garden was older than me and its root system was thicker than most tree trucks.

Good luck! :)

• We've given the job to Alfred as he needs the work. He has done really well so far and is now attacking the jasmine that has almost outdone the ivy. I can imagine the size of your ivy roots if they are that established. Scary.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I don't have a Alfred, but I did find a Allan. He's jsut finished and the old holly tree stump and rootballs (there was more than one...) is now gone. :)

He did in 90 minutes with the right equipment, what would have probably taken me days.

• Back home yesterday after more than a week away and I went straight into the garden and is if by "magic" two new bareroot tress that I ordered arrived and were planted immediately. Two little Rowans. One is called Seedwater, a red berried tree that can get to 8-10m tall and another is much smaller one from China which has pink/white berries.

After all the tree destruction in my own garden over the last year, with more still to come...iIn all my years, I have never planted a tree before. Now I have. Two of them, with hopefully another two to go.

Rather happy. :) :)

• Our plum tree was planted in a spare half whisky barrel some four years ago. It was now a bit too large and I decided to remove it from the barrel. This was done by levering the barrel and cutting any roots which had come through the bottom until I could tip the lot on to it's side. I then used a heavy hammer to destroy the barrel. I found the root ball was exactly the size of the half barrel. A large hole was dug and the tree was rolled into place and orientated to the satisfaction of my wife. It looks much better now and hopefully will fruit again this summer with more space for the roots to expand. That was on Tuesday, I enjoyed the exercise, in the sunshine. I felt fine yesterday but have a few stiff muscles today.

We still have an apple tree in another barrel but it fruited in abundance last year so I'll leave it at the moment the other two apple trees were planted straight in the garden so was the Gooseberry tree, the blackberry bush and the other fruit bushes. They are all doing well.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!